Forums » Elder Scrolls

What foe in Skyrim (Including DLC), would you consider your grea

• 1441 posts
    April 25, 2014 12:29 PM EDT
    Simple enough, what creature, person, whatever in Skyrim do you loathe or have died to so many times you outright consider them the bane of your adventuring existence? For me, one of them is Giant Frostbite Spiders. Having Arachnophobia, the normal ones freak me out, but the giant ones, imagine if they were real, urgh.

The second, is one I share with Steven Colbert, Bears, and sabrecats. Since I play primarily on Expert, these things can rip through heavy armor like a truck. Not to mention my Unarmored character on Master.

How bout you guys?
    • 1483 posts
    April 25, 2014 12:35 PM EDT

Dwarven Ballista. Dat thing is OP as hell!

• 1441 posts
    April 25, 2014 12:44 PM EDT
    I sont know why, but am I the only one thinking those prove Dwarves could build steampunk rifles, or atleast auto-crossbows?
  • Jen
    • 88 posts
    April 25, 2014 12:59 PM EDT

The Chaurus. I can't tell you how many times those things have killed me and allowed the Falmer to do a victory dance on my fallen corpse. Well maybe not a dance so much, but you get my point. 

• 3 posts
    April 25, 2014 1:45 PM EDT
    Goats, they're evil.
    • 41 posts
    April 25, 2014 3:15 PM EDT

First time I ever played on master I was killed by a mudcrab because I figured I would just walk up and beat it with my iron sword and no armor, I kill every single one I see now.

• 1441 posts
    April 25, 2014 3:41 PM EDT
    Their claws can even shred through armor.
  • May 1, 2014 3:45 AM EDT

The hagravens destroyed me at first, and they still do when I start a new character!

• May 1, 2014 4:55 AM EDT

That goddamn dragon on Mount Anthor. I swear by all that is holy--I hate that damn thing. I once spent a whole afternoon trying over and over to kill it and failing each time. Eventually I did kill it--only to find that I'd glitched myself on top of a rock.

• 61 posts
    May 1, 2014 5:21 AM EDT

Chaurus just scare me and get me really depressed. Whenever I see some in a dungeon, the game suddenly becomes more about getting out of the dungeon in the fastest way possible (Usually running past all the enemies) instead of being about getting the loot and gold.

• 56 posts
    May 1, 2014 8:33 AM EDT
    The true bane of your adventuring is mostly impatience. You are impatient to go to a place you cant fast travel, so you position yourself so that its a straight line from you to the marker, and just run to it. This is when you encounter the sabrecats, bears, or in Northern Skyrim, frostspiders. And these things go through your already near-useless armor at early levels.

After I realized this, I started using using the roads to guide me to my goal. Since then Ive never died on the road anymore. Of course you'll still encounter some of those animals on the road, but they respawn on the exact same spot that unless you're really new to Skyrim, youll pretty much know where theyll be. For instance, my journey to High Hrothgar takes me first to Ivarstead. On my way to the village even now I remember the first encounter will be 2 spiders on a bridge. After a short while, a sabrecat, a while later a bear, after that when running uphill a troll, then the last one near Ivarstead itself 2 normal spiders and one 1 big one. If you havent yet finished the quest Missing in Action, sometimes there'll be some Alikr Warriors in that area, and will help you if you choose to fight the spiders. Of course if you cant, or dont want to, you could just sprint past them.

Preparation is key to every outdoor activity and dungeon delving. Just because you character isnt meant to sneak doesnt mean youll just charge in without knowing what lies beyond. Only fools or someone equipped enough will do that. Dont rush your exploration. Dont let your impatience get the better of you. It can and WILL kill you.
    • 773 posts
    May 1, 2014 8:38 AM EDT

I always really struggle with Spriggans, especially with a new character.

Just when you think you've got the better of them they have this habit of healing themselves or casting invisibility.

Hate them 

• 5 posts
    May 1, 2014 10:07 AM EDT

Any two handed bandit chief up to around level 15-20. Especially on master, you try and do whatever you can to whittle their health down to zero, and then you make one mistake, even at full health, and end up with a battleaxe through your ribcage. 

• 856 posts
    May 1, 2014 11:00 AM EDT

I use roads for most of my characters too, but with some exception. My orsimers, and strong heavily armored warriors, usually don't care, taking a straight path. My Khajiit characters often stick to high ground. And my Argonians stay near the water ways whenever possible. Stealthy characters will often sneak and stay off the roads but keep them in sight and parallel them.

• 856 posts
    May 1, 2014 11:10 AM EDT

If my character dies it is often before 10th level, and rarely after 20th. Sabre cats, trolls, and bears are usually the cause of my demise and I give these creatures a wide berth. I also have to be very careful with chaurus and falmer bosses when adventuring underground.

Of course, if and when I get either Animal Allegiance or Kyne's Peace, I no longer worry about any of the aforementioned creatures except the falmer bosses.

• 856 posts
    May 1, 2014 11:23 AM EDT

Yea, they've gotten me a few times too - I have to be really careful fighting them and dodge their power attacks.

• 3 posts
    May 1, 2014 6:11 PM EDT

The invisible Khajiit random encounter. He has ebony gauntlets and the fists of steel perk, and unless you save every two minutes you will have no idea where he is coming from.

• 56 posts
    May 2, 2014 8:05 AM EDT
    Not taking the road aldo makes you succeptible to random dragon attacks.
  • May 2, 2014 9:07 AM EDT

mages that use ice magic are the bane of my existence

• 295 posts
    May 2, 2014 2:52 PM EDT

Falmer. For some weirdo reason, I guess cause they killed me a bunch in my first playthrough, all my builds kinda approach them the same way. Stealth + bow, whether it's a warrior or a mage.  I just don't like them. They are icky.

Above ground, sabre cats. Bears not so much, because they are not so fast and warn you first before they attack. Sabre cats do not warn you and they are fast. 

Now, I tend to go around on horseback, lol, 1000 septims well spent people, especially with a mod that makes them essential (otherwise, they are bear, sabre cat, dragon, giant magnets). Though even default horses can outrun most roadside enemies if you use sprint judiciously. 

• 295 posts
    May 2, 2014 3:04 PM EDT

The horses in Riften that you get for free runs off back to the stable when you dismount, not so great for a mounted combat build when you have to constantly chase down your horse, especially when the mod I use also makes them move faster. LOL. A purchased horse does not. When I do the Frost quest, I'll often use the free Riften horse to get me to the Black Briar lodge. I also have some sentimentality for Queen Alfsingr, the horse in Whiterun, so I tend to purchase her. 

• 295 posts
    May 2, 2014 3:43 PM EDT

It was enough of a hassle, that the 1000 septims was worth it. LOL, besides if you don't fast travel, the horse in Whiterun is very convenient. Granted you can take the cart to Riften, but meh, I prefer to walk or ride there. You can also get horses for free in Solitude as well if you pick veggies. 

Falmer are awful. Not so much by themselves, but when they're in a group! Yikes! Liar's Retreat! That's a doozy of a location if you don't plan right or are sent there at an early level. Shimmermist as well. 

• 622 posts
    May 2, 2014 6:24 PM EDT
    Ash Spawn. I hate those bloody things!
    • 87 posts
    May 2, 2014 7:50 PM EDT
    If this was Morrowind, the decision would be easy. In Skyrim, however, none of the enemies really stand out as annoying. I would have to go with the Volkihar vampires, because their city raids happen so frequently that I don't even fast travel to cities anymore. A close second would be the dragons that plague towns with no walls; I cannot fast travel to towns without either a dragon or a vampire attack.
    • 1441 posts
    May 5, 2014 1:10 PM EDT

Same here Tae. They're not affected by frost spells, and they're strong as hell.