Forums » General Gaming

What could and should have been in skyrim

• 23 posts
    March 26, 2014 5:40 AM EDT

Dont we all feel at some point in the game that there is something missing? welll atleast I do! So I thoght that I would start a list on things that should have been in the game! 

1. Spears. so that I could roleplay as leonidas

2. Seasonal foliage. cause I find playin in leafpiles highly amusing!

3. Better graphics on water... minecraft with a shadersmod have better graphics at the moment!

4. More runes! shock, frost and shock simply isnt enough

5. more puzzles in dungeons! with mooving structers and stuff!

6. Quest to rebuild Helgen! And then you would be jarl!

7. Having fights while riding dragons! (like in the movie eragon if youve seen it)

8. Dark dungeons that you must have a torch etc in! would be so scary!

9. And I miss the goblins from Oblivion so I watnt those aswell!

10. Custom Mobs! since it looks better 

11. A giant mudcrab boss! 

12. frostbitespiders should be able to climbe walls!

13. Scary Snakes!

14. NPC dialog for now is crap. FIX IT

15. More weapons and armor! like ancient nordic, nightingale, and maybe an armor set for each hold?

16. Make the civil war quest more fun!

17. You should be able to sort saves by character! not all in one place!

18. More Artifacts! 

19. You should be able to search for specific items in items menu!

20. More voice actors! It feels like there are only 4 of them right now!

21. Different locks with different minigames to open!

22. Larger cities! like in oblivion!

23. An arena! 

24. All dungeons and caves look the same!

25. Better sneak! hate it when people get shot, and then says "nothing here after all..."

26. More spells! 

27. Your actions have to make an impact on the world a little bit alteast!

28. Places that you will drown in if you dont have waterbreathing!

29. We want large oceans! that you could travel on by boat!

30. A cave home!

31. More colours!

32. More roleplaying armor! 

33. Maybe... just maybe... co-op compatible?

34. Join the forsworn!

35. Better combat with dodge, parry, and combos!

36. More finnishing moves!

37. Better and More Gore

38. More emotion! I want to feel sad when something sad happens! wich it never does by the way!

39. Most quest are "go fetch this" or "go kill that"! that is just boring!

40. Crippling and being able to become crippled as in fallout! and cutting of limbs!

41. More factions! One guild for every playstyle seems shallow! 

42. Being able to be fat, gives so much more roleplaying!

43. More hairstyles and beardstyles!

44. Windows!

45. Healt shouldnt regenerate! It should have to be healed!

46. A journal that You can take Notes in!

47. When you skin an animal it should look skinned! As in Red Dead Redemption!

48. A hardcore mode like in Fallout New Vegas

49. More sound effects for everuthing!

50. Just way more enemies are needed! 

Well I cannot think of any more for the moment... but please leave your thoughts in the comment sections!

• 111 posts
    March 26, 2014 9:11 AM EDT

Quite a comprehensive list so difficult to add to

If I may, I'd like to pick up on just the one or 2

Let's start with the easy first
    Windows.

The Skyrim theme is Dark Age in style (4th - 9th century AD) where windows, even if you had them or the existing ones were bigger I'd allow that they shouldn't do much more than allow light to pass through  them. If you want to keep the game in period or lore friendly then having windows you could see out of would be like having udders on a bull in my view.

NPCs dialog.

Agreed rubbish if you are looking to develop  ongoing interactive relationships in Skyrim, but as Skyrim is such a huge open world the task of developing all npc's roles in such a way would be impossible just too much work involved for too little benefit. Doing what Mass Effect did with a hard core of about a dozen NPCs with whom you could have an ongoing developing relationship would have been really effective

When I play I tend to avoid the civil war as I should be able to achieve the core quest without picking sides, In role playing terms neither has any outstanding appeal for me I'm too busy trying to save the world. However if you swear fealty to one Jarl or accept the position of Thane you should automatically align with that Jarl's political commitment. I'd scrap the recruitment drive at Solitude or Windhelm and just develop your own character in line with local demands. Of course that means that you will have to be careful if you through quests end up visiting a hold with opposing political views, but that just makes it more fun and immersive

Also that gives you a chance to rise through the ranks so in that sense the civil war does become more important to the world and the player

Skyrim is a cold hard land where things like honour and physical prowess in combat are given greater accolade that architects. No grand buildings necessary. Buildings in Tamriel are fine as Imperials are basically merchants and traders and just occupied some of them from the days of the Ayleids. Also they like CURTAINS (drapes) so I understand. I, and I think most Nords are quite happy with the absence of lofty towers and heated pools while they can still swim in a lake with ice on it. get drunk in an Inn, and have somewhere to upgrade their weapons and armour. Even the Jarls go along with that though eating in a Jarl's place is a lot less dangerous as they don't put sharp knives on the table at dinner

Maybe less enemies but tougher ones depending on the importance of the quest(s)

As a Thane I should get the job of clearing out and repopulating some of the old forts currently full of bandits, helping to maintain increase the guard presence and protect trade and supplies

Can't be Jarl of Helgen that's part of Falkreath hold

Most of the improvements I'd like would involve less followers - I think there are potentially too many and you end up with the housecarls being little more than servant's unless you are bent on having your own private army

Housecarls are all 1h, heavy armour, sword and shield characters with some archery skill. You should be able to re-train them to suit your needs and match your own skills

To a certain extent mods can take care of that but the house carl thing should have had more flexibility attached to it. Having a private army is pointless unless:

The Dragonborn role is expanded and you become the potential saviour of Skyrim by getting the Jarls to follow you. They did it for Tiber Septim, why not for the Dragonborn. Nords would certainly align behind the Dragonborn as a warrior monarch. Then TESVI could be about stuffing the Aldmeri Dominion and the Thalmor where the sun don't shine, while Titus Meade chews at the ends of his ceremonial robes, and plays draw poker with his treaties and trade agreements

• 23 posts
    March 26, 2014 3:11 PM EDT

Dear Tony Maund

Thanks for commenting! 

I agree with you a little bit on when it comes to the windows... but I always feel like I am in a bunker when i enter a tavern, or a shop, or even my own house! 

And I know helgen is a part of falkreath... but that is why it makes it so much more fun! imagen the possibilities! 

Helgen is an abondoned and possibly haunted village that is owned by the falkreath thane... and since I think Falkreath is a hold that hasnt got enough storyline related to it.  It would be nice to add something to it... and I think rebuilding helgen would be the perfect thing. since it would not only give you the possibility to start a war with a hold, but also be in charge of one if u prevail!

/Edvin

• 159 posts
    March 26, 2014 3:23 PM EDT

Well the  rieklings in the dragonborn dlc are pretty much goblins....

• 1217 posts
    March 26, 2014 3:26 PM EDT

Shoulda had an unmarked quest where, if you take the actual boat back from Solstheim, some Rieklings stow away and they infest Skyrim when you land. Then folks hire you as a Riekling exterminator.

• 23 posts
    March 26, 2014 3:39 PM EDT

Oh.. I Did not know those existed! Unfortunatly I have no access to any DLC since I cant afford XboX Live..  

But thanks!

• 23 posts
    March 26, 2014 3:40 PM EDT

Well... that is the problem.... just another "go kill those and we will reward you quests"

• 1217 posts
    March 26, 2014 3:44 PM EDT

True, there are already plenty of those, although there aren't many other interactions you can have with goblins except "And then they made me their chief..." which already happens on Solstheim. It'd be cool to lead an army of Rieklings against the Falmer, but that wouldn't be much of a trade off.

• 23 posts
    March 26, 2014 4:04 PM EDT

well it is really a shame... but yay for goblins! 

• 111 posts
    March 26, 2014 4:47 PM EDT

Hi Edvin
    True enough, the Jarl of Falkreath is weak and would be easily deposed by a strong champion.; Whether that comes through the civil war or through a natural process as a result of the increasing popularity of a new Thane is an issue which I think could be developed. Skyrim is largely male dominated as far as Hold Chieftains are concerned. There are 2 exceptions one being a "dead man's shoes" scenario With Elisef taking over as no more than interim following the death of Torrig. Tullius pretty much holds the whip hand there with Falk running the day to day city administration. Elisef doesn't appear to have a clue about anything to do with managing a hold. 

A male Dragonborn should have no trouble becoming a Jarl either through marriage to Elisef, or through one to Idgrod Ravencrone's daughter in Morthal. However Hjaalmarch is politically the least significant in the shadow of Solitude's great military strength and prosperity. Falkreath politically is split in terms of alignment with Ulfric and/or Elisef but which part of Skyrim isn't split to a greater or lesser degree? Civil War provides a number of opportunities and Helgen has been left in ruins. The Dragonborn DOES need a base of operations that is not linked to any particular scrutiny from hold chieftains, Helgen is a good place to start before the bandits take over the joint and the surviving citizens get left to their own devices by Siddgeir The Lazy. He'd be a walk over with most of Falkreath's citizens being totally fed up with what is going on in the hold

It would be good to see a mod that deals with the rebuilding, and re-population of Helgen. Echoes of Kvatch rebuilding mods in Oblivion? If I remember there were 2 mods for that neither of which really did the trick

Let's hope no-one works out that Alduin's appearance is due to the presence of the Dragonborn arriving there in a cart rather than random chance else you'll end up with revolting peasants

I like your idea of the cave dwelling. I always thought that some caves (especially grottos with their microclimates, fauna and flora etc, would make terrific homes

• 111 posts
    March 26, 2014 5:01 PM EDT

I'd like to have seen the Thieves guild be a lot more than just thugs at the beck and call of that appalling Blackbriar family. The thieves guild in Baldur's Gate had a huge amount of influence. I'd develop that (please let's not have the dragonborn joining everything going as it stands currently) and the first thing I'd do is rob Maven Blackbriar blind!

There is a lot of potential for organising criminals with independent bandit gangs, skooma dealers, gambling dens, etc currently running amuk. Like Baldur's Gate there are a number of city states each with their own laws and no co-operation between them on crime. A golden opportunity and a good way to raise funding for Dragonborn conquest. Most of the original Jarls were conqerors/bandits/rogues anyway! 

• 23 posts
    March 26, 2014 5:39 PM EDT

ah yes!  As mentioned in 41 I still think it would be interesting if there were more than one faction for every playstyle! then we could have some competition! and when you become leader of a guild you have to make the decesions about wether or not to do this or that. 

but yes... I agree with you that the thieves guild has become nothing but simple thugs...  would be nice if they started out as that. But later YOU get to chose if you want to get free from the blackbriars!

• 23 posts
    March 27, 2014 2:38 AM EDT

I see what you are going for here... 

but lets say you could play an instrument.. when would you play it? why would you play it? how would you play it?

• 163 posts
    March 27, 2014 3:38 AM EDT

I would buff my allies with the music of my drums, and throw lutes at bandits 

• 111 posts
    March 27, 2014 5:55 AM EDT

lol

• 23 posts
    March 27, 2014 11:19 AM EDT

it would have, I have grown tired of just chopping wood. And it would be a nice feature,

I want a new fishing system, with actual fishingrods that you could use.. and BOATS that you could use! but then We would need some sort of ocean.. wich would be awesome I think... and then you can make a shop! with things to sell! I really hope that you can make shops in TESO

Do you know if its possible?

• 268 posts
    March 27, 2014 12:58 PM EDT
    You only need xbox live silver to download dlc btw...
    • 23 posts
    March 27, 2014 1:36 PM EDT

Tell me your secrets!

• 23 posts
    March 27, 2014 1:37 PM EDT

PLEASE inform me! I need to know what that is!

• 33 posts
    March 27, 2014 1:44 PM EDT

Somewhat better facial expressions, even though there are some basic like happiness, sadness, anger, fear etc. most of the npcs who are talking look really dead, they barely do anything with their hands during dialogue, they just stand there awkwardly during the whole conversation (I really liked it in Dawnguard when Lord Harkon started walking up and down when he was talking to me, I would love some other animations like that)

I would've liked if the college questline was a bit more advanced, with more puzzles and more use of your spells, and if expert destruction spells weren't just like the adept ones (the only difference is the projectile model and the damage)

If some textures weren't lower quality than others, like how most basic things like cups and plates look good, while the textures of the dwemer things look blurry and ugly (not the armor, the armor is fine, even though it's a bit too bulky)

Hair showing under some helmets and hoods, it looks really ridiculous (especially on a female) when you equip the archmage's robes and you suddenly become bald.

A complete combat AI overhaul, I hate it when a bandit is running towards me in a straight line while I am pointing at him with my drawn bow. Also they should shield block more often, and should release block faster, sometimes they are holding up that dammn shield for half a minute instead of attacking while I am fighting 2 other bandits and not paying attention to the shield wielder.

• 41 posts
    March 27, 2014 3:03 PM EDT
    I think guilds control trade. They wouldn't let you get a shop, it would just be one building hundreds of people own, like GTA. If everyone could have their own building Tamriel would be covered in shops stacked on top of shops. I always thought the thing where everyone owns one building is immersion breaking.
    • 49 posts
    March 28, 2014 3:16 PM EDT

Seriously, the only things that I personally want in vanilla skyrim is cloaks/capes and a better civil war questline. They should of been random encounters which involved fighting between the stormcloaks and imperials, surely that can't of been too dificult to do?

• 111 posts
    March 28, 2014 7:23 PM EDT

There are random encounters between groups of stormcloaks and Imperial soldiers (groups of 3 each), but not between Stormcloaks and Hold Guards loyal to the Imperium. Having said that as Thane of Whiterun in Rorikstead I did witness a fight between a Stormcloak and Balgruuf's Hold Guard which the hold guard won. When I tried to help ( I am Thane after all) I got arrested by the victor

• 49 posts
    March 31, 2014 2:30 PM EDT
    Actually now you mention it, I do remember encounting 3 Imperials and 3 Stormcloacks fighting. Was quite fun to watch but I think they could occur more often and with more soldiers.
    • 106 posts
    March 31, 2014 4:35 PM EDT
    Realistic Needs and Diseases

#consoleplayersbelike":c"