Forums » Elder Scrolls

Your First Time Playing Skyrim... Ever!

• 145 posts
    March 25, 2014 9:43 PM EDT

I feel like I post a lot of discussions! Like, every three seconds! But no matter- this one just hit me because I haven't seen anything about this yet! What was your first time EVER playing Skyrim like?

Personally, I was VERY bad at it. I had no idea what I was doing, I had never gotten into anything really violent (I like Nintendo, mkay?), and I had never even played a TES game before, ever! My first character was a nameless Argonian and my last memory of her was getting stuck in the frozen tundra right after escaping Helgen (I don't even know how I made it out of there!).

Me ^

• 1 posts
    March 26, 2014 12:13 AM EDT

I started playing Oblivion about 6 months before Skyrim was to be released and I loved the open world. But I hate the undead (with a passion) so I ignored dungeons that had undead in them.

When I got Skyrim, I didn't do Bleak Falls Barrows for a month, then for 3 weeks I wouldn't do it without Faendal. When I finally did it on my own and killed Mirmulnir, I was very pleased. Also, every time I start a file, I kill the torturer and his assistant.

• 3 posts
    March 26, 2014 3:27 AM EDT

Started playing Skyrim about a month after release, made a khajiit theif and was going pretty well. But for some reason I decided against crossing the bridge at Riverwood, think it was because the HUD indiated to a giant camp being across the lake.

Needless to say, I spent about 10 hours on that character thinking of a plan on getting to Whiterun

• 15 posts
    March 26, 2014 9:56 AM EDT

When I started Skyrim I knew a bit of this and a bit of that because I watched so many videos before release and played so much of Oblivion. I knew I wanted to be a mage, and that's what I was. Played through the Main Story a bit and then went exploring. After a while I started doing the companions missions. I found out there were Werewolfs in the game. Instantly started over and became a full blown werewolf (magicka doesn't help being a werewolf one bit).

• 163 posts
    March 26, 2014 10:12 AM EDT

Flesh spells and cloak spell do alot!

• 106 posts
    March 26, 2014 10:52 AM EDT
    Right after escaping Helgen I can remember feeling overwhelmed with the freedom I was given. It was a good feeling of course. But my character did everything, no RP at all. I was your average every day skyrim player killing people everywhere... Also I couldn't pronounce anything in the game!! For example "spiggon" and "nimroot" and "armen" and a few others I can't think of Haha.
    • 1595 posts
    March 26, 2014 12:09 PM EDT

My first Skyrim character was a smoother playthrough than my first Oblivion character, thankfully. I've still got the save file but it's glitched to hell now - when I load it up I get a bookshelf message even though I'm outside near Half Moon mill.

When I first left Riverwood with that character heading towards Whiterun, I travelled as the crow flies. I couldn't figure out how to enter the city and was looking for the entrance for ages.

• 89 posts
    March 26, 2014 12:28 PM EDT

Warrior, absolutely no magic. I basically knew what I was doing, but I didn't roleplay very much. Made it to level 46 before I got bored. Finished main quest, companions, bunch of Daedric quests, all that jazz.

• 1217 posts
    March 26, 2014 12:50 PM EDT

My first character was a not-lore-friendly Argonian spellsword. I'd already seen enough of the game played to know what to expect, but learning some of the ins and outs was new and refreshing and fun.

• 78 posts
    March 26, 2014 3:02 PM EDT

It had been a long time since I played Oblivion and I thought Skyrim was so different.  So I basically played an entire day and was all over the place and still a low level and couldn't fight squat.  I thought I was bad at too.  

I had to look up some others ideas to get my leveling up.  I went the way of befriending Faendel and doing the bleak falls barrow with him and instantly leveling my archery to 50.  By the time I went to Whiterun, starting doing some minor quests and concentrating my smithing, I was able to kill the first dragon no problem.  So yeah, I started out alot smaller and working up.  I stayed away from falmer, because they were the death of me.  

• 145 posts
    March 26, 2014 4:17 PM EDT
    My second character (after my Argonian, Prisoner, got to level seven, I got bored, and made another character) was a Khajiit. Her name was Foo (hence my name, it's a long story how I got it and has nothing to do with TES xD) and she was a warrior. I got to level 47, somehow.
  • Tom
    • 624 posts
    March 26, 2014 10:24 PM EDT

Got it the summer after release. Never played an Elder Scrolls before. Rolled a Nord.

Never realized you could zoom up on items in the inventory, so I spent a while in Bleak Falls going through every combination on the door until I fell asleep in the chair (I was up for a long time).

I really enjoyed it to be honest, but my 360 was five years old at the time and I encountered a lot of glitches and freezes.

• March 27, 2014 12:58 AM EDT

I played it with a dumb friend and he cheated me daedric armor with the console. I still died many, many times.

• 158 posts
    March 27, 2014 1:36 PM EDT
    Having recently played a male Dunmer thief and a Khajiit unarmed monk in Oblivion, I knew I wanted to play a straightforward 2H warrior. Since I knew a bit about the civil war questline, I chose a Nord. Since I wasnt using any spells, I spent a week working for Hod chopping wood and another couple of weeks (in game) working for Alvor and Adrianne to buy decent armor, because I was terrified that I would die immediately with crappy armor, no magic, and no enchants. I also gathered ridiculous amounts of iron ore, not realizing that there were many more valuable ores and treasures I should be focusing my energy on. It worked out well, though, because it evolved into a laborer-crafter playthrough oriented around hunting and self-sufficiency, which I had never done before, and that was pretty neat.
    • 367 posts
    May 5, 2014 12:59 AM EDT

The first time I played Skyrim, I was an Argonian magpie, even before I excaped from Helgen I had to start ditching trash.

But my biggest memory was when I first played Morrowind, my Argonian character was so blinking useless that I went through two swords just to kill one guy in the mine just outside of Seyda Neen.

• 1441 posts
    May 5, 2014 1:30 AM EDT
    Played it a few days after release, so fun. Played a Breton, as usual, a battlemage with a bit of thievery.
    • 295 posts
    May 5, 2014 7:39 AM EDT

I didn't want to die, so I play a Bosmer archer. Snuck my way around Skyrim and did a ton of running. Took everything that wasn't nailed down (yep, I stole, didn't know). Had about 5 sets of thugs chase me and I didn't know why. Never used magic though I was stupid and put levels into magicka cause I thought you had to. Destroyed the DB because what idiot kidnaps me in my sleep and leaves me my gear? Married Marcurio only to have him permanently scarred by bandits. Sided with the Imperials. Always ran away from Thalmor. Didn't do TG or Companions. Did the mage's college without spells. Spent 3 hours trying to figure out how the occulary worked (doors were ok). Killed Jenassa, Belrand, Meeko, Vigilance, and Lydia (they kept getting in the way of my bow), oh and Cosnac (he was the Ebony mail sacrifice). Marcurio and Kharjo lived. Became a vampire accidently. Finished the Mage's College, Bard's College, Side quests, Civil War, Almost all of Dragonborn (last quest was bugged, bleh), and Main quest. Ended up as level 50. It was a delightful disaster.