Forums » Elder Scrolls

Dragon Language Translation Compilation

• 32 posts
    March 17, 2014 10:15 PM EDT

I've been fiddling with the dragon language a bit recently and took the painstaking time to compile the most of contents of these two pages (UESP and The Elder Scrolls WIki) into a Microsoft Excel file. I considered turning it into a PNG file and posting it, but the list quickly turned out longer than I'd imagined it would be. I feel like both pages emulate two halves of a whole as some of the information on one isn't necessarily on the other. I figured I might as well share it with you guys since you're all awesome. 

The first tab lets you translate English to Dov (For ease of writing), while the second one is Dov to English (For ease of translation).

I included a couple of my own definitions as well. For example, I've added that Yol translates to both Fire and Change. Change is a much looser translation, but I felt like it had to be included because of Parthurnax's dialogue when you choose to meditate on Yol.

This XLSX file doesn't have all the information (Such as possessive conjugations as well and how to create words for concepts that might not currently exist) however it is a great translation resource. No credit required as I didn't actually create any of this content, only compiled it.

Let me know what you guys think!

• 15 posts
    March 18, 2014 5:29 AM EDT

This is quite nice. Great work you've put in!

Can't believe Bethesda hasn't released something similar themselves.

• 163 posts
    March 18, 2014 5:41 AM EDT

Well I know I am changing my character's names

• 32 posts
    March 18, 2014 1:47 PM EDT

Thanks! I wasn't honestly anything over say, 7 hours, but when you do monotonous stuff like that it feels like a lot more.

I kinda wish Bethesda would still release something like this. As it stands there are no words for South, West, or Queen, which is pretty disappointing.

• 32 posts
    March 18, 2014 1:49 PM EDT

Great idea! I love using stuff like this to make unique names. Though with my recent Skyrim characters I just mash something up off of the UESP names pages.

• 1913 posts
    March 18, 2014 2:42 PM EDT
    Thuum.org provides a translator for you to type in your own words and it will translate them
    • 8 posts
    March 18, 2014 2:57 PM EDT

I always use that when needing to translate stuff.

• 622 posts
    March 18, 2014 3:01 PM EDT
    ^
    • 1913 posts
    March 18, 2014 3:03 PM EDT
    • 32 posts
    March 18, 2014 4:54 PM EDT

And that's in there, too. But Parthurnax says that in "your tongue" the word is simply fire, but in the dragon tongue it is change given shape, and therefore at least moderately accurate and it has more meaning in one language rather than the other.

• 32 posts
    March 18, 2014 5:02 PM EDT

It also doesn't know how how to (for lack of a better term) conjugate words, even if they're present in Skyrim. If I type in, "Ysmir, Dragon of the North," it spits out, "Ysmir, Dovah do faal Brom," when in Skyrim, the Graybeards clearly say, "Ysmir, Dovahsebrom," during their little ritual as they recognize you as Dragonborn. While Dovah do faal Brom isn't necessarily incorrect, Dovahsebrom is a widely recognized phrase in Tamrielic/English and is used to refer to the current High King of Skyrim and/or Talos.

Edit: I know that's expecting a bit much out of a fan-created translation program, but my point still stands that hand translation is best for most occasions.

• March 18, 2014 5:14 PM EDT

I thought power given form is fire. 

• 32 posts
    March 18, 2014 5:41 PM EDT
    Well his cheap philosophy provides about half of what we know of accurate dragon language, so I'm going with it.
    • 25 posts
    March 18, 2014 5:59 PM EDT

The version of Yol "change given form" and the version used in the shout meaning fire follows a similar principle as say bear and bear does in English. In one context I could be referring to the animal in another I could be referring to its verb form meaning "to carry". Dov I feel is a very contextual language words taking on different meaning depending on the context of the sentence and the situation.

• 32 posts
    March 18, 2014 8:47 PM EDT

This is basically what I'm trying to say. What I'm also trying to say is: If you don't agree with me/don't like it, you don't have to use it. There's a world of difference between making up words (Thuum.org) and adding optional definitions to existing words based on what a dragon* says in the game.

• 32 posts
    March 18, 2014 9:12 PM EDT

You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoy it.