Forums » Elder Scrolls

Are there any non-fast travel users out there?

• 144 posts
    February 3, 2012 6:51 PM EST

I ask because i've always wanted to do it, but could never have the patience for it. I guess that I'd see ten times the amount of beautiful skyrim than what i do now, maybe experience some cool random encounters.

to those of whom that has in fact stuck with it, share how you feel about it, is it rewarding? or is it simply a chore to walk from one end of skyrim to the other that leaves you moaning the whole way with only your determination to prevent you from using fast travel. 

to those of whom that has not done this, share your views on why, or whether or not you have tried or at least considered this.

-Juniorrat

• 3 posts
    February 3, 2012 6:59 PM EST
    I find myself walking most times. Yes, I do find it rewarding as you will come across dungeons you did not see before and random acts if violence. You get to see Skyrim, truly as it is and it makes you feel like you are writing your own legend (of sorts).
    • 426 posts
    February 3, 2012 7:09 PM EST

Not fast travelled once in Larz's play through upto now. It definately changes the way in which I play the game. I tend to try and get a run of quests going so that Im not just walking from one end of skyrim and back. But at the same time the actual time it takes has to be taken into account. Im like all lovers of the game if I could I would sit and play hour after hour but life sadly doesnt allow it so you could spend a couple of hours perfoming one major quest with all the walking to and from. Happily Skyrim and Bethesda reward you with the beauty that is the game. Night or Day there will be something that will catch your eye.

• February 3, 2012 7:31 PM EST

Yes. I've never fast travelled. I even disabled that compass thing.

It really add to the immersion. Other than that, I mostly walk only on days and bright days. (if its raining im going indoors.)

Some benefits of walking/running all over Skyrim. First, you get to encounter more random encounters. Then, you get to find more locations that otherwise you wont find if fast travelling. Finally, the ultimate benefit is you get to walk and see the world. See the sun and clouds. The perfect harmony. (this is important as most gamers spend most of their time indoors.... stereotype thinking, but im sure most of us isnt that obsessed with Skyrim)

• 29 posts
    February 3, 2012 9:46 PM EST

I have a character that I am trying very hard to not use fast-travel with. I have succeeded so far in resisting the urge. :P

• 577 posts
    February 3, 2012 11:01 PM EST

Haha! this actually happen to me. When I played Oblivion for the first time, I didn't realize you could fast-travel! I seriously played around 150hrs walking everywhere. I remember thinking "Really, I have to walk all the way over there!?, uugghh" Imagine you had to meet someone way across the map and you basically have to follow him, make sure he doesn't get kill. It was bittersweet. It wasn't till a friend of mine that was telling me about his adventures and he mentioned fast traveling. I was like "what the hell? are you serious!!" hahahaha!! Man, I felt like an ass! it was a good laugh.

I didn't fast-travel in Skyrim for the first 50-60hrs....then when things open up, all the time. I'm now back to walking. My goal as of now is to find every location. I miss that first 50hrs. Exploring has lost a little luster for me. I find myself not creeping around that much anymore cause it's gettin somewhat perdictable.(chests, lg sack, small sack, urns, waredrobe, dressers, etc.) Pretty much know whats in them now. Jesus, I'm gettin sour here! sorry

• 24 posts
    February 4, 2012 5:50 AM EST

I use the compass, but never fast travel. I used to ride as it is much more comfortable then doing kilometres on foot (). And YES, it's pretty rewarding! So many pretty landscapes to see, so many starnge people to meet! I didn't fast travel in Oblivion either. I feel just like a part of the scenery especially when mammoths cross the road and I have to slow down the horse and wait to those giant creatures to pass. (Eastmarch near the giant camp) Brilliant game!

• February 4, 2012 8:55 PM EST

I just started the second character (a sneaky/archery type Argonian) and because I'm using Wars in Skyrim and Deadly Dragons I fully intent to do the no fast-travel thing. Should be interesting!

• Nix
    • 2 posts
    February 5, 2012 3:11 AM EST

I know how you feel. I cant tell you how many urns i checked when i started. After about 130 hours i stopped checking most things all together. I am having a bit of a problem with having to much gold. its keeping me from the feeling i used to get when i found say... an ebony great sword. I'm tipping the scale at about $200,000.

• Nix
    • 2 posts
    February 5, 2012 3:18 AM EST

I go about half and half. Sometimes I will spend a whole day walking from quest to quest and some days I'm all fast travel so i can clear my pallet of quests. I guess my passion is to walk but when there are butt kickings to be handed out, i hate to let the pile build to high.

• 66 posts
    February 6, 2012 2:37 AM EST

I fast traveled on one character, lost the immersion completely.

So my most recent character (a dunmer mage assassin) doesn't fast travel, I like walking round areas like the rift where the forsworn are always scrapping with other groups, sometimes it's fun to sit on a rock and watch them tear each other apart.

Alchemy is a lot better if you don't fast travel, so many ingredients!

• 14 posts
    February 6, 2012 5:12 PM EST

I use some fast travel but it depends on the character’s preferences.

My nord ranger will get on a horse, begin to ride a couple feet down the road to simulate the beginning of the trip, and then fast travel to the city or large town that is closest to my destination. The horse gives an in-story explanation for fast travel. Leaving it in the nearest town keeps the horse safe and preserves opportunities to travel. Now all I need is a Dalmatian skin for my dog to go along with the Budweiser Clydesdale I bought.

My khajiit won’t ride a normal horse because horses won’t allow anything that looks and smells like a leopard jump onto their backs. He will hire caravans and curl up in the wagon for a nap. Even after he got a horse that would tolerate a khajiit rider, he would still occasionally hire a caravan so he could take a nap. Limited fast travel by caravan is a necessity because I’ve never seen a cat (housecat or leopard) pass up an opportunity for a nap.

My Breton loves to travel and will never use horses or caravans. Walk everywhere, explore and get easily sidetracked, that’s what Skyrim is all about.

• 26 posts
    February 7, 2012 12:22 AM EST

I use a mixture.  In Skyrim you have to walk or ride to get any where first.  Once you arrive, discover, a place you can fast travel to it.  I like to explore as much as I can.  See new places but I get bored traveling over the same territory espcially if I have to travel far distances in order to return to a quest giver in order to have the quest completed.  You will also miss a few random dragon encounters if you do a lot of fast traveling.  In fact you will miss a lot.  Seals, various types of bears, new plants for ingredients and quests.   Skyrim in my opinion i best traveled by foot although using a horse can be fun and fairly quick.  You have the carts to travel between cities and they are cheap.  I do that fairly early in the game just to get the cities covered.  Skyrim needs to be walked.  That is how I feel.  Besides how will you meet up with M'aiq or an old Orc who wants you to great him a good death if you always fast travel? 

• 13 posts
    February 7, 2012 12:44 AM EST

I really wish I could walk everywhere, and if I had unlimited time in the day I would definitely do so. As it is, when I have time I try my best to walk everywhere. For me it really adds to the immersion, nothing like a good 30 sec loading screen to take you out of the world :P. But sometimes I just want to finish some quests before I go to bed so I use fast travel and just sort of pretend I'm taking a cart and sleeping, lol.

• 13 posts
    February 7, 2012 12:46 AM EST

Pretty much exactly my feelings:)

• 13 posts
    February 7, 2012 12:48 AM EST

Also I would love to use a horse (Shadowmere is my bro) but I HATE that it makes you use third person. Whole reason I love Elder Scrolls so much is that you can play in first person.