Forums » Elder Scrolls

Real World Inspirations for Elder Scrolls historical events

• 167 posts
    March 12, 2014 4:10 PM EDT

Vercingetorix is a Gaul. I see Red Eagle as having similarities to him. (United the various tribes of reachmen)

• 661 posts
    March 12, 2014 4:11 PM EDT

I'd say that the Thrassian Plague is more so to be the smallpox. It's the only disease that I know was deliberately set upon another race by a more superior one. But thats just me.

• 661 posts
    March 12, 2014 4:13 PM EDT

Are Reachmen purely Breton or do they include Nords as well? It's always confused me since Red Eagle is a Nord himself.

• 661 posts
    March 12, 2014 4:14 PM EDT

Well, it's almost given but I like to view the Greybeards as Tibetan Monks. 

• 74 posts
    March 12, 2014 4:16 PM EDT

*headdesk* You're right. I saw Germanic-Roman and for some reason thought of Caesar's campaigns. (Haven't had my morning tea, yet).

Ulfric as Arminius... now that I can see.

• 167 posts
    March 12, 2014 4:17 PM EDT

They're a mix (sort of like the bretons themselves) of breton and nordic blood from what I know Jasper. Breton seems to be dominant in their blood though.

• 74 posts
    March 12, 2014 4:20 PM EDT

Nah, I'm going to stick with Germano-Gauls. They're Nord-descended after all and they don't seem to have a massive slave-owning terror-based culture.

• 167 posts
    March 12, 2014 4:27 PM EDT

The real reason I like to believe the Imperials are based more on Romans is that they based much of their culture on the Greeks. The Imperials based much of their culture on the Aylieds from what I gathered. And I recall reading somewhere that Colovians were deliberately based on Spartan like culture, where the lower half of the empire was based more upon standard Greco-Roman cultures. It's not as apparent in the game because for every in-game race there's 5-6 different cultures you could saw they have a basis on.

• 167 posts
    March 12, 2014 4:29 PM EDT

Tullius doesn't seem badass enough to be Germanicus though...

• 74 posts
    March 12, 2014 4:42 PM EDT

Nor does he seem incompetent enough to be Varrus, but that's the danger in drawing parallels.

• 167 posts
    March 12, 2014 4:50 PM EDT

Good point.. Who would you compare him too?

Perhaps a personality split of both, or a fictional stereotypical general Bethesda just made up.

• 167 posts
    March 12, 2014 4:52 PM EDT

Here, this should answer your question better than I have.

• 74 posts
    March 12, 2014 4:56 PM EDT

Personally, I can't hear his voice without wondering when the Battlestar Gallactica is going to show up.

But I'd have to go with Generic Roman, probably has a wife and four daughters all with the same name back home in the Imperial City.

• 167 posts
    March 12, 2014 5:07 PM EDT

Middle Eastern! 

• 167 posts
    March 12, 2014 5:16 PM EDT

Nah, Elsweyr is more like India than Morrowind...

• 167 posts
    March 12, 2014 5:22 PM EDT

I'd say Orcs are out of place Mongols that aren't quite as pillagy rapey as their counterparts.

I just see dunmer nomads similar to middle eastern ones.