Forums » Elder Scrolls

Religion

• 1217 posts
    April 22, 2014 11:47 AM EDT

I haven't bothered yet because RPing worship in game amounts to killing things with X artifact. I suppose I did say Alazir follows the House of Troubles. There just don't seem like a lot of aspects of the character for religion to influence in the game.

• 41 posts
    April 22, 2014 11:52 AM EDT
    My Khajiit is an atheist but my Breton acknowledges all of the gods' existences, but doesn't worship them.
    • 1217 posts
    April 22, 2014 11:56 AM EDT

How does atheism function in Tamriel? Does the character simply not encounter any daedra of any kind?

• 1913 posts
    April 22, 2014 12:05 PM EDT
    The character may think of them as simply powerful magical beings, not as gods, cause magic is a fact here... Or it can just be how wizards in D&D work, they don't worship the gods cause they know they exist... Why worship something you know is real? You might as well just worship a chair at that point....
    • 1217 posts
    April 22, 2014 12:13 PM EDT

Well, a chair is unlikely to reduce you to ash and atoms, but I see your point. It's not about whether the beings are there, but whether they should be treated as gods.

• April 22, 2014 1:33 PM EDT

Well, I'm ok with Nirn being the daedric realm. It fits him well.

• 1217 posts
    April 22, 2014 1:35 PM EDT

It's kind of twisty to think about. Wouldn't that make the races of Tamriel daedra, after a manner?

• April 22, 2014 5:16 PM EDT

...Mind=blown. 

Wouldn't it make even more sense if both Aedra and Deadra are the same thing? 

• 1217 posts
    April 22, 2014 5:19 PM EDT

That would make Aedra pretty boring. Being different is the only good reason (in my mind) for their apparent lack of interest/participation in the world. If anything annoys me about the Aedra/Daedra, it's that I'm always talking to Daedra while at most I get a "blessing" from Aedra.

• 4 posts
    April 22, 2014 5:19 PM EDT
    sithis rules
  • April 22, 2014 5:20 PM EDT

Dude, the aedra are already boring...like, watching grass grow. 

• 1217 posts
    April 22, 2014 5:22 PM EDT

@Shor Exactly. Don't want to lump that boring lot with the Daedra, who actually do stuff.

• 1441 posts
    April 22, 2014 5:31 PM EDT
    Hmm, I have one Mord character who worshiped the Old Nord Pantheon, not any of these Alessian losers. Oh no, he's a real Nord's Nord. Hes so Nordic, he'd make Talos scream for mercy (not in that way). He follows Shor, Kyne, Tsun, and all that good Viking jazz.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    April 22, 2014 7:23 PM EDT

It depends on the character. As I usually play as a Dunmer, I always worship either the Tribunal or the New Temple. (The last one, more often).

When I don't play as a Dunmer... Well, I usually worship the Daedra too. With the exception of some characters, like my current one, a Bosmer, who worships mainly Y'ffre and my last one, a Nord, who adored Talos. (It was a pain in the ass. Probably one of the main reasons why I stopped playing with him.)

Besides those, the only ones that I have ever worshiped are Auri-El and Trinimac; Zenithar and Julianos. *

*[EDIT] Plus Magnus and Stendarr.

• April 23, 2014 10:03 AM EDT

To piss off Lorkhan and the other Nordic gods...obviously...

• April 23, 2014 10:08 AM EDT

You're missing the point. For example. Light and Dark sides of the Force. Both are the of the same coin, just different perspectives or sides. 

Now, take the same thing with the Aedra and Daedra. Both are the same thing, just on different sides. Like, a civil war or something. Both are the same people, but different factions. If the only criteria we have for  what is Aedra and what is Daedra is Aldmeri ancestor worship, that's not good enough honestly. If the Dunmer are to be considered the children of the Daedra, then the Aedra become Daedra, and the Daedra become Ancestors(Aedra).  

• 1483 posts
    April 23, 2014 10:11 AM EDT

Aedra become Daedra? The only known example is Trinimac and it was not a willing act. And there is no information about Daedra becoming Aedra, you just make it up

• April 23, 2014 10:15 AM EDT

No, I meant since the Daedra are the ancestors of the Dunmer, then they would be their Aedra. Aedra just means ancestor, but since the Aldmer are big into ancestor worship, it came to mean gods.  

I'm not making this up. I'm just pointing out how dumb the criteria for what is Aedra or Daedra  is. 

• 1217 posts
    April 23, 2014 10:16 AM EDT

Sure, that would just make the Aedra really disappointing Jedi, but I can certainly see how they can be perceived as two sides of the coin.

• April 23, 2014 10:17 AM EDT

Lol. The Jedi are dumb for cutting themselves off from half of the Force.

• 1483 posts
    April 23, 2014 10:18 AM EDT

Daedra are not the ancestors of the Dunmer.

Aedra are the ancestors of the Chimer who decided to worship Daedra and left the Summerset Isle because of that. Chimer became Dunmer later

• 1483 posts
    April 23, 2014 10:19 AM EDT

• April 23, 2014 10:27 AM EDT

"Heralded by the Prophet Veloth, Boethiah is the original god-ancestor of the Dark Elves

-UESP Link

Apparently, Boethiah pulled an Auriel and is a god-ancestor. Fits the criteria for Aedra, don't it. 

• 1217 posts
    April 23, 2014 10:27 AM EDT

Yeah, but haven't they been killed off a few times less than the Sith? Heh, I like this analogy.

• 1483 posts
    April 23, 2014 10:30 AM EDT

Read this The Anticipations - the source for the quote you bring. That book calls Tribunal more powerful than the Daedra... Clear propoganda