Forums » The Lounge

The Injury Discussion

• 87 posts
    March 7, 2014 10:39 PM EST

Some more of my previous injuries. Well, when I was nine, I was running to weekday school when I blacked out. When I came to, a gate hinge found its way into my forehead. The doctors in town were able to glue and tape the thing together again, but he said it was 1/6 in. away from my brain... oh dear god...

The next time an injury happened was two years ago, at 16. I got into a car accident and rammed the thing into a tree. I hit it with such force, I broke my femur. You all know how strong that bone is, so yeah. At least I had my cell phone with me at the time. I was sent to the hospital and had to wait until the next day for surgery; I didn't remember when I had lunch, and you all know what surgery and food does to a person. Now, to this day, I have a titanium rod inside my femur with screws at my knee and hip. I can't run for long periods of time, but I plan on getting the son of a bitch taken out because it's pissing me off to no end.

What can I say, I'm prone to injuries. It's a damn curse I tell ya.

• 104 posts
    March 7, 2014 11:20 PM EST
    When I was young... Around 8, I was riding around on my go-cart and was drawing nearer to the curve in the path. This was a gravel path and very good for sliding. It was an older go-cart but I ran her into the ground. Now, keep in mind the damn gas pedal would get stuck on this thing..

Well. The go-cart speeds on off the path and lodges me and the cart underneath a semi-truck we used for crop transportation. I bumped my head rather hard on the metal framing and then the pedal was still stuck, back wheels spinning and threatening to make me a permanent fixture on the underside of this truck. In my haste (and childish wisdom) I turn around and grab the spark plug thinking this will stop the motor. Ha! I got a good shock before my dad eventually ran over there and saved the day.
    • 34 posts
    March 8, 2014 2:26 AM EST
    The injury wasn't strange but the story is: I couldn't make up my mind about what I wanted for dinner so mum got annoyed and started to leave to go get it. She was just about to pull out of the driveway when I decided I wanted donuts so I raced out the lounge door, tripped over an umbrella, and put my hand through the window beside the front door.
    Moral of the story: don't trust a child with the important decision of what to eat. I didn't even go to the hospital for it!
  • Jen
    • 88 posts
    March 8, 2014 2:47 AM EST

I'm really very clumsy, so I get injured a lot but nothing too odd. A lot of pulled muscles, huge bruises, sprains. But when I was 4, I tripped on a rug in my grandparents' house and slammed face first into a coffee table, it was a bloody scene. I think my grandmother panicked a bit but my parents got me to the hospital.  They had to tie me down to stitch me up. So overall, pretty traumatic...lol. My grandmother still has the coffee table with the marks. Fixed me up okay though, I have about 3 scars under and around my lips, but you can't really see them.

• 74 posts
    June 25, 2014 4:02 PM EDT

On the topic of mysterious injuries... I woke up one morning in university unable to move my right shoulder. I had to massage it and 'break' it lose with my left hand and I had to do that almost every morning for the next 10-11 months. Then it went back to normal and has been ever since.

I assumed that I injured it somehow, but I don't know how.

~Thread Necromancy Skill Increased to Level 2~

• 7 posts
    June 25, 2014 4:49 PM EDT

Two of my best and most disgusting injuries
    Once when I was riding my bike in sandals(!), I fell over an underestimated roadside,and rubbed off half of my big toe.I had a 1/2 big toe,a big curve in my front tire,and several bruises on my stomach from the speedometer ,and the shifter.
    And ome time I went out for a little running,but had to turn home because i had a contracture in my quadriceps.Days later I discover i got a 25 centimeters bruise in purple and red on my leg.Probably a medium schism.:D

• 35 posts
    June 26, 2014 9:02 AM EDT
    Back in primary school I was pushed and tripped, and my head hit the corner of a table and I was bleeding all down the right side of my face and it going on my leg an the floor. Keep in mind I was young and I was in class so my fellow classmates saw this. That was a fun day.
    • 127 posts
    June 29, 2014 6:58 AM EDT

Where do I start?

Well, I've got a white line below my lip from where I once bit through my flesh whilst fainting for the first time ever.  In the shower.  I came to on my side and I was running in circles round the walls and the door.  Not fun.

Alos, I've got a two marks in the shape of an arrow and a diamond on my left wrist.  I'd just started snowboarding and wasn't exactly good yet.  At the top of a chairlift trying to get off I fell.  That didn't do much, but the snowboarder that slid over my wrist certainly did.  The scars are from the metal rods they used to reset it.  Turns out I'd also burst a liquid sac in my hip or something like that.  Didn't learn that for about three months though.  I still don't walk right, and that was six years ago.

More recently though, I was thrown to the floor in a pair of handcuffs.  No, it wasn't a kink of any kind, nor was I arrested.  It was in a rehearsal for a play.  Anyway, I've got kind of a sperm cell shaped scar forming there now.

EDIT: I forgot about the Nike Swoosh on my cheek from a falling keychain below my eye.  

• 75 posts
    September 9, 2014 9:41 PM EDT

One of my friends accidentally kicked me off a huge inflatable slide at a party, and I woke up in the car on the way home with no memory of what happened.

I also lost a tooth when I hit my face into the sofa, even though it barely grazed my mouth.

Also, because I play (field) hockey, and nowadays most people buy the newer carbon fiber sticks, which hurt like hell if you're hit by one, even more than a wooden one. I tripped over my one when I was playing and ended up getting it snagged in my shorts, giving myself a wedgie as well as a huge bruise for a couple of weeks.

• 11 posts
    December 21, 2014 10:59 PM EST

I have two injury stories I would like to share. The first is when I was maybe four years old, I was being a reckless little kid at my grandmother's house. I jumped and jumped on her bed, until I had jumped off onto the floor. Felt like I had kissed the floor as I landed mouth first, knocking a loose tooth free from my gums, however, I don't spit it out, I accidentally swallow it. It has to have been the weirdest feeling I have ever had.

The next story is a few years later. I had a collector's baseball I had gotten on a vacation to Iowa, my sister wanted to play catch with me terribly, I kept telling I didn't want to get it dirty, I turn around and start walking away when I get this sharp pain in my temple. My sister threw the collector's ball at me, smacking me upside my head.... had a goose egg there for a few days, which hurt quite terribly. Funny enough, I still have that same ball to this day.