Forums » Elder Scrolls

Elder Scrolls Online Beta

• 162 posts
    March 3, 2014 3:39 AM EST

I got the change to play the Elder Scrolls Online this weekend. Here's my opinion on it.

Before I started my son had already begun, His commend after an hour was "Boringgggg..." so this was a good way to start with it *ahumm*. But he wasn't the only one, I've seen such comments appear the whole weekend in chat.

First of all, ESO is an MMORPG and not Skyrim. This is quite obvious maybe because it is an MMO and not a single player game, but if you expect a Skyrim like game, it isn't. It's a MMO with ES topping.

For me the gameplay was good. It use in fact the basic Skyrim controls with a few adjustable buttoms for special attacks, defense, etc. thus more like GW2 and no wall of buttom like WoW. It's a free world and you can go everywhere you want, the only real limitations are your opponents, as far as I could see there's no scaling and the further you go the harder your opponent become. I think they did a good job on graphics, no cartoon style, it do feels like ES. Though the requirement are quite high for an MMO, my computer can run it on the highest setting without any problems. It has a vast quest system, but I find it too guidy and paternalizing, just go to the arrow and do your thing. The crafting system looks good and is quite straight forwards. I haven't done an instance, though, according to the comments, this should be possible. I also haven't done PvP, but therefor you need to be level 10 at least and I had reached only level 7.

Beside this quite good news I was astonisched and dissappointed by the amount of imo stupid and in fact simple bugs the game suffers off though. Quests which doesn't continue after finishing a task, The freezing of the game when leaving a quest giver or crafting station, the constant dissapearing of your special ability buttons, the buggy or hard to get interaction menu for player to player communication and sunday morning the game wasn't reachable, it freezes or you got kicked out all the time with the only commend "Unknow error occured". I know it was still a beta, but afaik this was the last one and the game goes gold in a month. Imho a game should be next to perfect if you want to charge around € 50,- for to get it and around € 15,- a month to play it. I got grave doubts that they can fix these things within the last month, so I've put it on hold for now, until they prove me wrong.

• 27 posts
    March 3, 2014 6:48 AM EST

The whole point of a beta is to find bugs and report them. Being that most people treat them as a demo it's not surprising that it still has a lot of bugs.

• 32 posts
    March 3, 2014 8:22 AM EST
    After hearing how boring it is, I'm starting to not want it. I have an dual core laptop that runs like 2.1 ghz and not a lot for graphics so I dont think I could play it anyway.
    • 1913 posts
    March 3, 2014 8:47 AM EST
    My major complaint is how pretty everyone looks... It's just... Ugh... Orcs look like elves with green skin and pointy teeth... They don't look like how they should!!!
    • 162 posts
    March 3, 2014 8:47 AM EST

As said I knew it was a beta and I've send them several ingame reports and a mail afterwards about my finding (for what it's worth though). However this was probably the last beta in a whole line and the game itself will start in a month, so I expected a quite finished game without that many maybe trivial but very annoying bugs. I would be more than happy to be proven wrong, it would be great if they can get it (almost) bug free in time.

• 106 posts
    March 3, 2014 10:54 AM EST
    Just the thought that I can explore all of tamriel is... Is amazing.
    • 1 posts
    March 3, 2014 11:14 AM EST

Ok, never played an MMO before so forgive me if I sound stupid but I watched this guy Gopher's video of him playing and what I really didn't like was that he was still pretty much creating his character (he had the same Orc complaint too) and he got severely bombarded with "will you be my friend" requests and "here take this" and he hadn't even played the game yet. Just let the guy create his character, play a bit to get a feel for the game, then after a few levels ask his to join you....   But like I said never played an MMO before so I don't know how they are supposed to work.

• 40 posts
    March 3, 2014 11:22 AM EST

Well, I was pretty surprised to discover that I enjoyed the game. I liked how my character looked and liked all the quests I could do. I was a half elf mage and had fun running around with my pet killing stuff. I liked how I could choose to use a sword or a staff although I felt like I was rewarded more if I used the staff in terms of it worked better for my character and class skills.

That being said, yes there were tons of bugs. In fact, my character fell through the world screaming until 3 reloads later that finally stopped but I was left trying to do the quest again which was difficult. It was the long lost mage quest. I did have many freezes and had to use /reloadui more times than I want to count. I hope they can get things squared away for launch. Time will tell.

I too never got to experience PVP as I only got to level 7. I have never been involved in pvp so not sure how I would feel about that. I can't afford the game so I won't be playing at launch anyway but I have to say I kind of miss not logging on today. Once I get a job this game will be one that I will think about playing.

• 185 posts
    March 3, 2014 12:35 PM EST

My PC can't even run Prince Of Persia... 

• 1913 posts
    March 3, 2014 1:08 PM EST
    I was so disappointed with the orc females :( they look like Barbie dolls with green skin who weren't smart enough to put the vampire teeth on the top jaw...
    • 2 posts
    March 3, 2014 1:09 PM EST

I jumped on the beta this last weekend and only got errors in the last 3 hours while I was playing the most insane war rush ever. I can't say it doesnt have bugs, but to me it was pretty good. I played a dunmer the entire time. Fuck, it feels nice go all comando, burn an army's siegue equipment and run away.

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    March 3, 2014 2:52 PM EST

I agree about the look of the orcs. So I didn't like that at all. I enjoyed the game for the most part though I was having problem with my shoulder and couldn't play long. Bugs weren't too bad for me, but I didn't get far.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    March 3, 2014 2:52 PM EST

I mentioned this in another post, but I'll repeat it here. I feel pretty "meh" about the game. I miss ESO when I'm between Betas but, when I'm invited to a new one, I don't feel very compelled to play it for more than a few hours.

This pretty much summarized my reaction. I've been following the game news for almost a year (I still love the Shoddycast) but when the class info leaked I started to lose interest, and with this beta I have no desire to play this game. I experienced constant bugs and had to /reloadui after almost every conversation, but it's beta and I expected these things.

I'd have to say my biggest gripe is with character models and class abilities. So many of the models all look nearly the same to me. There's a ton of options, but they're so miniscule that I had difficulty telling them apart. I'm mostly referencing faces. I mean damn, my burly Nord has a sculpted face and narrow nose like the finest bred Mer.

The class system was just lackluster to me. Snare, a few daedra, and lightning spells? This is probably entirely my fault, but I was expecting a greater range of spells and abilities at the very least like Skyrim and at best similar to Oblivion. I wanted variety and options and I didn't see much.