Forums » Elder Scrolls

Why Did the Dragonborn Leave Cyrodiil?

• 194 posts
    February 26, 2014 9:58 PM EST

This is a just for fun speculation question. It's always fun to read people's iterations of why the Dragonborn was crossing into Skyrim. So to inspire conversation I thought I'd ask what do you think is the most logical reason? I'd say it has to be a description that fits all races/class types since I'm talking about a logical reason for any character.

Also, in case the first question is boring, who is the Ebony Warrior? What's his story? And most confusingly, why does a Redguard say he's going to Sovngarde??

• 856 posts
    February 26, 2014 10:28 PM EST

Alternate Answer: He was tied to the chicken.

• February 26, 2014 10:37 PM EST

Because the gods are selfish-not wanting to solve their own problems. They caused things to happen, certain circumstances, that drove him northward to do their dirty work. He is a tool. An unwilling instrument. "Destiny" it would seem, means you are a puppet. It means you will be forced to clean up after the gods, because cleaning is below them. Sending a "Hero" is more cost effective than doing it themselves. 

At least, that's how it is for my Dragonborn, Gram. 

• 856 posts
    February 26, 2014 10:37 PM EST

I think the 'dragonborn' was 'drawn' to the land of Skyrim.

The lore group may be able to tell you about the Ebony Warrior; I know little.

I think a Redguard can go to Sovngarde. I don't think it's just for the nords, but probably extremely rare for another race. However, if you think Sovngarde is 'nord-only', then perhaps this alternative explanation may suffice: The Redguard's father was a nord, mother was a redguard (hence the physical traits). And he identifies better with the nord culture.

• February 26, 2014 10:41 PM EST

The Ebony Warrior was a Redguard POW that the Aldmeri experimented on for their goal of creating an artificial dragonborn. He rebelled, and searches out the True Dragonborn, who he wishes to die fighting against.  

• February 26, 2014 10:46 PM EST

excellent question. 

• 194 posts
    February 26, 2014 11:18 PM EST

So he is more or less Frank Horrigan from Fallout 2... I can dig it.

• 194 posts
    February 26, 2014 11:19 PM EST

LOL i never made that connection. It would be more obvious if they just put him in steel armor and still called him the Ebony Warrior. heh

• 149 posts
    February 27, 2014 12:54 AM EST

I quite honestly think there's no way to know... You can't even guess.

There's no information given whatsoever on the Dragonborn's motives or on what forces might've driven him north, devine or otherwise. You get suggestions, but nothing concrete. I suppose that's the point of it, really.

And the Ebony Warrior? Pfft, I dunno what his deal is... As much as I'd love to go into the lore behind him, it's difficult to ignore the obvious reason Bethesda put him in the game for: to be a sort of final challenge for a max level character. His existence does little to transcend that gameplay purpose, in my opinion, and he comes across as too ill-thought or shallow.

• 3 posts
    February 27, 2014 5:31 AM EST

Because he had just completed TES:IV Oblivion.

• 41 posts
    February 27, 2014 6:42 AM EST
    The perfect answer.
    • 32 posts
    March 2, 2014 11:36 AM EST

I wonder if the dragonborn had any connection to Talos. Maybe Tiber Septim had a son and his lineage was covered up for political reasons and now here in the fourth era the Septim and he of the dragonblood comes forth.

Could be an interesting way of saying at the character creation screen "Hmm who did Tiber septim bone... Was it an Argonian? An ORC?! Another Nord?"

And the Ebony warrior makes me curious also...

• March 2, 2014 11:39 AM EST

Well, Martin Septim was a daedra worshiper who participated in all kinds of orgies. Maybe someone out there had a baby. 

• 93 posts
    March 2, 2014 12:35 PM EST

*boos loudly at all of you*

• 194 posts
    March 2, 2014 1:59 PM EST

Definitely interesting. Somebody, I believe here, said Alduin had at the same moment of the execution come forth through time and had started circling the mountain because as far as he knew, there was a war still going on... And he probably would have liked to kill those two other Nords that created Dragonrend. So he found the nearest location and attacked... Yada yada. Not a bad theory.

• 127 posts
    March 2, 2014 2:01 PM EST
    Yes
    That is the only logical explanation.
    • 48 posts
    March 6, 2014 11:29 AM EST

I actually made a build that explored this possibility.You can get to it from here.

• 1217 posts
    March 6, 2014 12:56 PM EST

So Thanos in Dragon form, huh? I would buy it if Alduin sold it. I'd prefer that there be a different reason, though.

• 229 posts
    March 7, 2014 10:31 AM EST

Shor, I haven't heard or seen that anywhere, where did you come to this conclusion?

• March 7, 2014 10:43 AM EST

By looking at the world, and asking "How?" and or "Why?" 

"Why would a Redguard have the Thu'um, a traditionally Nordic trait that only a few Nords even possess?" I asked myself. It is as bizarre as a Nord being a Sword-Singer. Now, I asked myself, "Who gains from a death showdown with the Dragonborn?" 

The Aldmeri Dominion, that's who. His appearance might as well be Tiber Septim's appearance. He is a nuclear deterrent when only Man has the bomb.

So, how does a Redguard posses a magical nuclear equivalent? Science. Everyone knows the Aldmeri have some of the best minds in the world. It makes sense that they would be trying to replicate Talos's Thu'um for hundreds of years. With the return of the Dragons, they found what they needed. Their 'soul' or 'understanding'. They captured a dragon's soul, probably one fleeing the Dragonborn, and bound it to the soul of the Redguard that they captured as a Prisoner of War in the Great War. Boom! Instant  Make-Your-Own-Dragonborn. It slices! It dices! It can blow your house down! This big bad wolf is a one man wrecking crew, and who is it suppose to wreck? The true Dragonborn. That's who. With the True Dragonborn out of the way, nothing stands between the Aldmeri Dominion and the Second Merithic Era. That's how I came to that conclusion. 

• 229 posts
    March 7, 2014 11:02 AM EST

You have a nice way of thinking about how to determine things, but that's basically a personally theory, a guess. Based on the lore of Dragons and their souls you can't shove one into someone, he already has a soul, if they removed that, it would be a dragon in a Redguard's body. He wouldn't know how to do anything really, and I don't believe you can capture a Dragon soul. It isn't like a White or Black soul, only DBs can absorb them, and the only one we know of that's been trapped is Durnehviir. Besides, man isn't always holding the bomb, some people play as High Elves and Aldmeri Dominion supporters.

• March 7, 2014 11:25 AM EST

They did it with Wulfharth. He was Dragonborn. They shoved his Dragon soul into the Mantella, and powered a doomsday device. Bind the soul gem with some Briarheart techniques to the would-be Dragonbron, and BOOM! Dragoborn Factory.

People who support the Dominion are hypocrites in TES. Just saying.  

• 63 posts
    March 7, 2014 11:27 AM EST

for my characters lore, it was because he was running from the imperials. could also be destiny.

• 229 posts
    March 7, 2014 1:55 PM EST

Not really, they don't do anything to you without you doing something to them first. As for Wulfharth, they don't know for sure if it was him, lot's of people have used the name "The Underking", I'm pretty sure it was just a Shezarrine lich who had his heart stolen. Also, the used the Mantella, I don't think they could use a simple soul gem for a dragon, not even Azura's star. As for Briarheart Techniques, how does that fit in? Also, why would the Dominion make a Redguard Dragonborn? That's completely stupid, and the Dominion are smart, they'd use a loyal High Elf for that. There are several more likely theories than an "Artificial Dragonborn"

• March 7, 2014 2:16 PM EST

Of course the soul gem would have to be tuned to have a dragons soul. The mantella was manufactured to power the brass tower. Its known you can make a soul gem. If you could soul trap a god, you can soul trap a dragon.

With the briar heart, you fuse the soul of the host to the powers of nature. With stone heart, you tie the soul to the red mountain. If you tie it to the soul gem, you tie it to the soul within. That's how it fits in. Also, they wouldn't use a high elf until they knew it would work.