Forums » Elder Scrolls

How do the people of Skyrim know how to read and write?

• 75 posts
    February 25, 2014 11:57 PM EST

As the title says, how do the people of Skyrim know how to read and write? I don't see any schools in Skyrim. So how does everyone know how to read and write?

• 661 posts
    February 25, 2014 11:59 PM EST
    How? They were flippin taught thats how! You think us all to be lawless beasts?
    • 75 posts
    February 26, 2014 12:03 AM EST

No but, still have you seen anything that teaches everyone how to read and write? 

• 194 posts
    February 26, 2014 12:05 AM EST

Parents. You make a good point in that almost any developed civilization has schools, but I think the Elder Scrolls operates on a parallel to the middle ages where you simply learned what you needed for your future job, which was often within the family (I am assuming).

A farmhand may learn very basic reading and writing, only used for communication and possibly book keeping for the farm. However, a scholar/scientist will likely delve deep into reading and writing for their line of work, recording their studies.

tl;dr it's quite easy for parents to teach their children the basics (or even more). my brother is doing it right now with his kids and its amazing to watch

• 661 posts
    February 26, 2014 12:08 AM EST
    What Theodorus said.