Forums » Elder Scrolls

You Still Play Skyrim?

• 106 posts
    February 24, 2014 4:45 PM EST
    Let me note that this is in no way shape or form a troll/hate/meant-to-be-mean post, but how do you all still play this game? Like for PC users I can understand because you have a vast array of fun and immersive mods to play with, but for us console players, isn't there a limit? I've owned this amazing piece of art since 11/11/11 and I still love it, although I haven't played in a while. I'm thinking of starting a hardcore mage but that's off topic. My question is what do you all do to make it still playable and fun and immersive for yourselves?
    • 1483 posts
    February 24, 2014 4:47 PM EST

Despite having bought new GPU and installing a lot of new graphic and not-so mods recently I can say that the thing that really keeps me interested in Skyrim is roleplay. I make new characters and roleplay them, the freedom that Skyrim allows gives you almost limitless possibilities. 

• 106 posts
    February 24, 2014 4:49 PM EST
    True. My only non-roleplay character was my very first character. Then from there I let my imagination run freely haha
    • 185 posts
    February 24, 2014 4:56 PM EST
    I play it everyday!
    Currently playing a mix of the celestial warlock and telvanni wizard - level 27 and it's very fun! I've bough expert destruction spell and haven't even visited winterhold.
    He was a good character,But got seduced by the power of the black books and became a servant of hermaeus mora, he still a good guy but If he needs to kill innocents for more power he will do that.
    Thinking about necromancy with him, as a way to increase his magical skills (I'm using every magic skill, minus conjuration - Necromancy can fix that- and the ash guardian won't kill my thrall when summoned)
    • 108 posts
    February 24, 2014 5:36 PM EST

I agree completely. Creating your own character is the best about Skyrim. I have never played a game that gives me so much to work with.

• 194 posts
    February 24, 2014 6:02 PM EST

I play it in between all the other games I play, as I play video games a lot. But yes, it has a shelf life and it is starting to show. That's what happens when you do every single thing possible in the game and play almost every character type one can think of.

Despite all that sometimes I want to load it up so I can have epic dragon fights, steal everything around me including the clothes off people's backs, hunt the wilds as a savage werewolf, or raise an army of dead around me as if I was Mannimarco. All of these things in one game... It's a good deal.

• 149 posts
    February 24, 2014 6:30 PM EST
    These days, I end up using skyrim more as a screenshot generator than a game. XD

But still, as Ben said, Skyrim is a platform for creativity. Its a playground to romp through, to do as your imagination drives. Its an experience unlike anything else in video gaming.
    • 106 posts
    February 24, 2014 7:06 PM EST
    To a reply to all of you: I can very much see where you are all coming from. It truly is a remarkable game, and of course there are my pet peeves and irritations with the game, but with out a doubt this game allows your creativity and imagination to flow like crazy. I would just die for the opportunity to play with mods though... Frostfall, realistic needs and diseases, and a better HUD and I'm ALL set
    • 55 posts
    February 24, 2014 7:31 PM EST

Let me start off by saying that this is the only game I play anymore. I didn't get the game right when it first game out, but nearly a year later so it less likely for me to be tired of it then some people. Yet I don't think I would be tired of it even if I did get it right when it was released. The game is a near endless realm of creativity. There are so many ways to not only build your character, but also countless ways to actually play them. I think that combination is what leads to the infinite number of possible builds and the ones on this blog are only a piece of them, notably a very good piece. But I also think this blog is the reason why myself and many still play. Talking to others about the game really spurs me on and encourages me to find new things in the game to do. TSkyrim's longevity is only as vast as the player's imagination. 

• 55 posts
    February 24, 2014 7:42 PM EST

Exactly. Once in awhile I'll pick up another game, but since my taste in games are pretty narrow I end up saying "Well I can just do this in Skyrim." As a matter of fact, when I start up another game and find something interesting I ponder how I can integrate that into Skyrim 

• February 24, 2014 8:05 PM EST

Well really Skyrim has no "limit". There are an infinite number of ways to play the game, and thats the beauty of it. I have made over 30 characters on both my PS3 and PC combined, and yet there are yet new ways to play the game. It really is limitless.

• 12 posts
    February 24, 2014 10:06 PM EST

For me its the outrageous amount of things to discover, I've had this game for to years and play it regularly, yet every time i start a new character I still run into new things/places and it amazes me. Plus I recently found out that my 360 has been on default 480p for the past 7-8 years, so when my gf showed me how to make everything 1080p it was a game changer haha. I actually have to use a torch at night now because I can't see more than 2 feet infront of me, it's aweseome

• 229 posts
    February 24, 2014 11:27 PM EST

Currently I'm actually not playing, I lent my legendary Edition to a girl I know.

• 1217 posts
    February 25, 2014 10:26 AM EST

Yeah, pretty much just this. Roleplay is easy in Skyrim, especially with the diversity of races compared to something like Mass Effect or Fallout. In that regard it might even be more accurate to say "species" than races, which I think has some more magnitude. If there weren't that element of creativity/possibility, the game would be quite unbearable.

• 4 posts
    February 25, 2014 10:31 AM EST

i stop playing completely last summer but i started a brand new play threw not long ago, deciding to hardcore role-play it and so far "I'm loving it" (McDonalds quote).  

So a good tip; if your tiered of playing skyrim, take a break and start from scratch once your forgotten everything about the game :D

• 11 posts
    February 25, 2014 10:51 AM EST

I just started back playing a week or two ago after a year away.

• 106 posts
    February 25, 2014 10:53 AM EST
    I've played it so much I never forget :P haha. But recently I've been playing with no HUD which for some reason makes the game more surreal and immersive for me. Once dark souls 2 comes out though, bye skyrim ):
    • 229 posts
    February 25, 2014 10:54 AM EST

My problem is that I can't forget, I have a really good memory for games.

• 108 posts
    February 25, 2014 10:56 AM EST

No HUD just shows, if you are really a great archer. Turn of enemy descriptions and container content and you are in for a treat.

• 1217 posts
    February 25, 2014 11:43 AM EST

Enemy descriptions I can see, but I'm not seeing the surprise container content thing. I mean, it's not like when you open a chest you can't see what's inside.

• 2 posts
    February 25, 2014 1:08 PM EST

I still play it. I'm a PC gamer, so I use mods and god bless the modding comunity <3!! I'm certain I wouldnt play this game as much if it wasn't for amazing mods like interesting NPCs.

• 585 posts
    February 25, 2014 1:38 PM EST
    I think of cool characters with backgrounds and spells and other stuff not directly from the game, but then I try and replicate it in Skyrim. This is fun because I use a very thought out character and you use your imagination a lot to replicate the stuff.
    • 28 posts
    February 25, 2014 3:28 PM EST

I haven't played Skyrim since October last year, but I'm actually really in the mood to play it again. I spent over 300 hours playing my Imperial vampire hunter (on PS3). It was the most fun I've ever had playing a video game before or since, purely because I have never been so invested in a character, or indeed any game so much in my life.

That's why I still love Skyrim. No-one will ever have the same playthrough I did with that character, and its the most RP I think I've ever put into anything. Might need to bring him out of retirement, let him have some more adventures with Serana and Sceolang. :D

• Kuz
    • 18 posts
    February 25, 2014 6:18 PM EST

I picked up dark souls and I am currently playing that. just opened stens fortress so i have a ways to go before i finish.

• 661 posts
    February 25, 2014 6:22 PM EST
    I make it fun by playing it. So many thing have happened in this year alone that will always be a fun memory. Like making the earth quake as you walk, or sliding around on your back. I stil play it, and probably will. Well into the next generation of gaming.