Forums » The Lounge

Knight vs Samurai

• 75 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:24 PM EST

I chose this picture because it was the clearest one I found, but most pictures I found of the Gothic Knight was covered in plate, even at the neck there.

• 158 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:28 PM EST

It appears that the Japan Armored Battle League is actually about to test this hypothesis.  Next week, in fact:

Japan Times

JABL Homepage for ticket purchases

Man, I wish I was still in Japan.

• 74 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:28 PM EST
    Sorry to have to change things, but I just gave the samurai a kanabo (I forgot about it until someone mentioned it) and the knight has a heater shield in place of the kite.
    • 661 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:31 PM EST
    Bushido is not just a warrior's code, its the whole god damn purpose they practice their techniques. Its why there are even Grand Masters. Without it they might as well just be bandits swinging their swords aimlessly.

And Shor I love Knights as well. I know as much about them as I do Samurai. My two favorite warriors of any generation, and I know for certain that a Samurai could best a Knight. Just for the record I never said that we would not know who would win or not. I only said that he wont get a straight answer because of that type ignorance you are portraying now.
    • 661 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:32 PM EST
    Actually in the Battle of Shekigarwa (I thinks thats how its spelled) Spearmen didnt help at all for the losing side when horse mounted Samurai charged them. So I dont think a spear would help uless he could carry more than five weapons into battle, and lay them down for for future use.
  • February 18, 2014 8:34 PM EST

Ignorance of what? 

• 661 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:35 PM EST
    f**k I was replying to you other comment down below about the Samurai's best bet being the spear.
    • 966 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:38 PM EST

Those spearmen were likely untrained peasants with no armour.

• 158 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:38 PM EST

Sekigahara

• 661 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:39 PM EST
    Oh my god, Alduin. A Samurai would go for the kill too. But due to expertise in both their respective fighting styles they would just be tossing, and turning.
    • 856 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:41 PM EST

I'm curious how this will turn out, but neither side of the argument will be satisfied, if their side loses.

• 966 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:41 PM EST

One will die eventually.

• 661 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:43 PM EST
    Ignorance to reason.
    • 966 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:43 PM EST

Indeed, it would be really hard to pull of for them. If they do one thing that was not done back in the days of Samurai's and knights, or they do something wrong, then people would be all over that shit.

• 661 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:44 PM EST
    Thank you.
    • 75 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:44 PM EST

Yep, sounds exactly like us humans.

• 158 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:45 PM EST

I like the fact that it's three full teams of knights and samurai, not just a one-on-one match.  More data points :)

They've also specified all of the rules beforehand, but they're only available in Japanese.  Basically, what they've outlined at the moment has to do with armor weights and weapon dimensions, and no blows to the groin.  

• 27 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:46 PM EST

I've always seen it as fights having way too many variables to choose a clear winner 100% of the time.

• 966 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:46 PM EST

Says to person who hails himself as a troll master.

• February 18, 2014 8:47 PM EST

I disagree

• 661 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:47 PM EST
    Even so, there had to be some decked out in armor. You cant have an army of armor-less peasents. No matter how small. But back to the point.
    I agree with Rune about the Kanabo being the best bet for a weapon against the Knight. Bunt force trauma towadrds areas like the knees, and the forearms would be most effective.
    • 661 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:49 PM EST
    Im assuming the Knight due to exhaustion. But if he landed a punch it may change things a bit. Because of his reinforced gloves/guantlets.
    • 180 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:50 PM EST

I don't see how it could be pulled off without having a literal fight to the death. Point scoring fighting is entirely different to a life or death fight.

• 856 posts

Ok, samurai have their kanabo, I will give the battle results now:

Knight 55

Samurai 45

(Reasoning. The better armor will may deflect a blow, but the samurai is more mobile. The knight could raise his visor after closing for a better field of view (but this gives a target if the samurai wished to switch from his kanabo to his katana, but probably wouldn't, one target area is easy to defend. The kanabo was difficult to use, but would break bones (through the armor) and shatter shields; it was hard to recover from a miss giving a well trained knight the opening. Training is about equal. Bushido prohibits striking the legs, while the knight has no offsetting restriction and may be the deciding factor. In some instances the samurai's bow would end it before it began, but the knights shield, armor, and helm lessens the number of successes).

• 75 posts

You're forgetting that the Knight is wearing plate, if you wanna punch through that you can go right ahead.