Forums » The Lounge

Knight vs Samurai

• 75 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:09 PM EST

Have you seen a Gothic Knight's armour? It covers almost everything, and when they do move and the plates move away from each other there is chainmail under there.

• 966 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:10 PM EST

The size difference would indeed be quite big.

He still wouldn't use it to smash. It would just ruin the edge and the blade itself.

• 75 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:11 PM EST

If he wanted to smash something he'd use a blunt weapon.

• 100 posts

I'm gonna go ahead and toss this out here. Jujitsu. If a samurai saw someone walking about in a suit of Knights armor, he would toss them on the floor. No need for to draw his weapon. 

There is also the rifle, arquebus I believe its spelled. Can he use that instead of the yumi?

• 856 posts

Give the samurai a kanabo to have a 'fair' contest, but his two arrow shots would just go into the eyes anyways. (Watch Deadliest Warrior, Samurai vs Viking for the arrow shot example). I think this is a better match up because both of the warriors were in societies where training began at a very early age. This is the most important factor - training. They put the stats all into a simulation, the samurai won against the Viking but barely (it was 55 to 45 I think). Personally I would put my money on the Viking in that case...

The kite shield is probably a tactical error one on one (due to the fact it is strapped to the arm - you figure out why this could be a disadvantage)

• 966 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:12 PM EST

...Knights wrestled other knights to the ground. They knew how to fight without weapons, the Samurai would be much, much smaller as well.

• February 18, 2014 8:13 PM EST

The knight doesn't have unarmed combat? What makes you think the samurai will get that close?

• February 18, 2014 8:14 PM EST

Deadliest warrior is full of crap half the time. They never even did ninja vs pirate, which spawned that show. 

• 661 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:14 PM EST
    You see a dude in large metal armor, what do you do? You let him tire himself out. You use the field to your advantage. Move through tall grass, leave a wide distance bewtween you and his weapon, but at the same time maintain it so that he tries to strike you. Use feigning movement to distract him, stay outside of his field of view. Pressure him with a small barrage of attacks. You say its barely relevant for a Samurai's swordmanship to take advantage, yet the most common sense of any swordman's technique can easily prevail this foe.
    • 966 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:16 PM EST

....Knights focus on long bloody skirmishes and sieges. Samurai's focus on quick combat against enemies with no or little armour. If anyone is going to get tired out, it's the Samurai.

• February 18, 2014 8:17 PM EST

I'm saying, when he brings it down, its not just cutting, like a katana can only do, but its also crushing. Breaking bones even. 

• 966 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:17 PM EST

They are really unrealistic sometimes, I don't consider them credible.

• February 18, 2014 8:18 PM EST

He doesn't have on in this scenario. And he can still do it

• 75 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:18 PM EST

Yeah, Samurais fought people with leather (other Samurais) or no armour. So they wouldn't be expecting a heavily armoured opponent.

• 661 posts
    Yeh but they sit down for most of the duration in these sieges, and usually wait on the small fry to do the dirty work for them.
    • 856 posts

Yes, but it was a real person with a real bow that fired two shots at a simulated human head with helmet. Two shots, an arrow went in each eye. The samurai needs his kanabo when in melee combat vs the knight though.

• February 18, 2014 8:19 PM EST

Do you take the knight for a knave? This is a trained fighting machine, not a peasant swinging wildly.

• 966 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:19 PM EST

No they didn't.

• February 18, 2014 8:20 PM EST

What about the knights shield? 

• 75 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:21 PM EST

That doesn't mean that will happen in this fight. And a Gothic Knight's visor slit is very small. Does it look like an arrow could get through this? Also the samurai doesn't have his kanabo.

• 661 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:21 PM EST
    Take hand to hand out of the equation. It will be easy for either of them to muscle each other out. This would just look like a lame ass UFC fight where all they do is hug each other. Dont forget people The human body is the same all over the globe. Every race that ever practiced mortal combat has found weaknesses, and strengths that best suit them. So it kinda stalemates the fight.
    • 966 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:22 PM EST

Shots at the head would be common during any decent archer vs a knight situation.

• 661 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:22 PM EST
    Looks like you can side step him, and just ease you sword into his neck.
    • 966 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:23 PM EST

A knight would move for the kill no matter what.

• 966 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:24 PM EST

.....You should change your name back to Troll master