Forums » Elder Scrolls

College of winterhold: A better ending?

• 41 posts
    February 9, 2014 8:47 PM EST

Hello everyone, I don't know if it's just me but I did not like the ending of the college of winterhold quest. I thought instead of becoming the archmage how about becoming one of the psijiics instead? Anyways let me know your opinion about it and what you think of this idea of mine. :)

• 1913 posts
    February 9, 2014 9:24 PM EST
    Are you an altmer? Were you born into the order? Would you like to stay with them forever and give up adventuring? If the answer to any of these is "No" then you can't join...
    • 21 posts
    February 9, 2014 10:06 PM EST
    I've never seen anywhere say that they have to be altmer or be born into the order...
    • 21 posts
    February 9, 2014 10:12 PM EST
    No, the ending is fine. Why would you want to join the psijiics? If you want to join a reclusive, ancient order, the graybeards would be a better choice... They use shouts, which are integral to the main quest, and have individual characterization. I can't remember any of thesijiics names, and I remember being surprised when I played with subtitles on and regaled they were supposed to be different characters. My final note is that if the college didn't make you archmage, then it would be very different then the other guild quest lines which all end with your character becoming a leader of some kind.
    • 41 posts
    February 9, 2014 10:14 PM EST

There is a bosmer psijiic and I wasn't asking if you could join.. I was just thinking it would be a better reward then becoming the archmage

• 41 posts
    February 9, 2014 10:17 PM EST

Yeah that is true I just always thought the psijiics looked cooler :P

• 194 posts
    February 9, 2014 10:23 PM EST

Call me crazy. I wish the college questline was just attending classes like in the beginning to learn spells and practicing them, much like the archery quest with that girl where you practice.

• 21 posts
    February 9, 2014 10:26 PM EST
    Well they have much fancier robes, there's no denying that! But not as epic of beards. :P
    • 21 posts
    February 9, 2014 10:26 PM EST
    There should definitely have at least side quests like that!
    • 12 posts
    February 9, 2014 11:28 PM EST

I wouldn't say that joining the Psijics is a better ending... I just feel like the endings of all guilds should be a bit more diverse... I mean they all end up with someone they just had join promoted to the leader of the group, maybe they could spice it up a bit

• 162 posts
    February 10, 2014 2:46 AM EST

I don't like the ending of this questline either, but for quite a different reason. Because most of my chars aren't magic wielders it's a bit odd that they become Archmage of Winderhold. A precious title like "Saviour of the College" would suited them much better.

The other way around you can say sometime similar for the end of the Companions questline btw.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    February 10, 2014 11:06 AM EST

Psijiics are dumb. The questline should've involved tasks that require the use of magic to solve beyond the entrance quiz that gave you the answer. Make me feel like I'm learning something from start (starting spells) to finish (master spells) that can only be offered by a school of magic. The main quest was too quick for me, and I didn't realize the other members had their own little quests until after I was Archmage, then I spent my time as Archmage helping every apprentice and forgetful wizard like I was Mr. Filch.

Slow the main quest down and require the completion of so many quests for other college members before I can proceed. Like helping citizens of a hold before becoming Thane.

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    February 10, 2014 12:08 PM EST

I have never understood this, I know the game is set up where you can do everything in one playthrough but for those of us that enjoy playing many different characters and enjoy roleplay we can easily avoid the questlines that don't make sense. If your character is Dragonborn and isn't interested in magic why would he even go to class, just because you need access to some books?

Anyway I think the ending of the quest is fine as long as you take your time with it. Which is another thing I don't understand, rushing through the questline, instead of taking the time to create a character that would be a good choice as a leader.

• 1913 posts
    February 10, 2014 12:26 PM EST
    They don't do anything though... That is like jointing a book club that never reads anything...
    • 61 posts
    February 10, 2014 1:28 PM EST

I didn't like the whole questling. Just loads of fetch quests. And the Arcano taking over thing was kinda pointless. So far three out of the four main guild questlines have ended in betrayel. Can the writers not come up with anything else?

• February 10, 2014 2:46 PM EST

I liked the College of Winterhold questline (I thought the ending was meh) but I feel that it was far two short and you only needed to actually use magic on three occasions. A novice spell to get in, a novice spell in your first lesson and when you're getting the Elder Scroll, it tells you how to do it, and gives you the means to do it (an alternative way of getting it would have been nicer, or if you had a lesson beforehand on destruction magic).

I don't think that becoming arch-mage was the right ending to the questline. Every guild has you ending up being the leader, which I find can get repetitive. Maybe you could have been Master Wizard and Mirabelle could have become the arch-mage.

Still, a becoming a member of the psijiics would be pretty dull. Like someone else has said, it would be nice to be a greybeard and learn badass new shouts, skills and spells. Anyway, that's just my opinion.

• 5 posts
    February 10, 2014 6:18 PM EST

Yeah I was pretty excited when you joined that class on wards and thought it was going to include more like that. Needless to say I was pretty disappointed.

• 47 posts
    February 10, 2014 8:24 PM EST

I think there is a mod out there that lets you make Tolfdir archmage - that seems much more appropriate, given his seniority in the college. Plus I just like ol' Tolfers, he's a good lad. He LOOKS like an archmage. I must track that mod down and install it.

I'm with Asverze, a nice unique reward for completing the quest would have been much better. A ring that doubles magicka regeneration, or a hood reduces magic damage by X%. Or maybe a big pile of spell tomes, say 6 or 7 books, which the game would check to ensure were not ones you'd already had - perhaps you could choose which master to get the books from, so you could get ones which suited your playing style. That would have been good. It's silly to be given the archmageship (?) after a few days of attending/working for the college, whatever feat you managed along the way.

• 185 posts
    February 10, 2014 8:44 PM EST
    • 162 posts
    February 11, 2014 3:48 AM EST

Because they are so damned nosy.

• 47 posts
    February 11, 2014 9:09 AM EST

Thank you kindly.