Forums » Elder Scrolls

The Unwanted Character Build Ideas Thread

• 179 posts
    February 7, 2014 9:16 PM EST

Not a bad idea! Problem is, I usually cling onto my 'crap' ideas until I find a way to make it viable, or put a spin on it somehow

My thoughts exactly. I love the idea behind this thread, but I typically play with my impractical ideas until I can get them to work, or if I do discard them, I oftentimes come back to them anyway.

• 179 posts
    February 7, 2014 9:17 PM EST

This actually sounds quite interesting; I might try and play around with this.

• 100 posts
    February 7, 2014 11:52 PM EST

Okay so this guy is someone I still play as from time to time, but its just a faff about character- I think he feels out of place.

• A massive Redguard with the Dred-Hawk (dred-lock mohawk), and some tribal facepaint.
    • He only wore a Forsworn cuirass, and used Forsworn bow and arrows, and a Forsworn Axe.

I played him as a tribal character AKA Fallout 2, or Fallout New Vegas DLC Honest Hearts.He was a sneaky brute, but he hated magic, and always ate the corpses of magicians for fear of being haunted. Also, he ate melee characters who were really strong, to gain their strength. 

I named him "Heart-Of-Ten-Lions". I'd like to see him have a life on the blog here. 

• 249 posts
    February 8, 2014 7:28 AM EST
    I think your's is one of the few. We need more pilgrim builds!
    • 11 posts
    February 8, 2014 5:09 PM EST

I am now very intrigued about a possible pilgrim, can't create it personally because working on something else, but would definitely enjoy it. 

• 185 posts
    February 8, 2014 5:23 PM EST

I'm not an amazing builder, but I once played as a khajiit pilgrim-like character,i'm currently changing some things before posting it 

• 338 posts
    February 8, 2014 5:49 PM EST

Basically I had decided that he figured out how to extract a soul from a body without killing it, and replace it with another, and through this technique he is able to take over a mortal, living being's body from within Coldharbour, and he just happens to get the Dovahkiin's. Lucky him. 

You can of course change the backstory if you want. 

• 338 posts
    February 8, 2014 5:49 PM EST

This also gives you flexibility on the choice of race, as he wouldn't necessarily possess an Altmer. 

• 11 posts
    February 8, 2014 6:24 PM EST

cool, can't wait

• 79 posts
    February 11, 2014 12:06 AM EST

Initially posted as a suggestion for Bryn..

How about a thief named Maxwell (or you can name him anything you want), that dabbles in a bit of alchemy, who after a botched house raid in Markoth ended up as an unwitting champion to Molag Bal and ended up slowly being corrupted day by day eventually turning into a vampire lord.

Your game play would that of the charismatic thief who day by day turns more and more sadistic, eventually turning into a cold blooded serial killer.. for within your hands you wield Maxwell's Silver Hammer Mace of Molag Bal.

• 127 posts
    February 11, 2014 10:13 AM EST

One I play, but won't be a build as such, is an identity thief/assassin, using a bound sword/dagger in the left and the skull of corruption in the other, slowing people down with alchemy and frost, and able to steal an aspect of Hircine once a day.

• 622 posts
    March 28, 2014 2:28 AM EDT

Started trying to do a 'ultimate dragonslayer' battlemage. Failed epically. Staves, magic resistance, Dragonplate armor and cloaks spells. Blergh, someone can run with it if they choose to.

• 6 posts
    March 28, 2014 2:17 PM EDT

If I had time, I would totally do this, just because when I first saw "thief named Maxwell" I started humming that song, before I even saw the youtube vid 

• 622 posts
    March 28, 2014 4:40 PM EDT
    There isn't four crafting skills, only three :P
    • 485 posts
    March 29, 2014 12:59 AM EDT

If i wasnt loaded with ideas for the forseeable future Id be tempted to give this idea a try. 

• 9 posts
    May 22, 2014 2:52 AM EDT

The hardest part imo is naming of your build.

• 622 posts
    May 22, 2014 2:54 AM EDT

Don't see how that's an idea but anyway :P

• 1441 posts
    May 22, 2014 9:39 AM EDT
    Alright, one build I had was Father New-Life, basically, Santa, he would use the red robes, a fine hat, the red Fine Shoes, and use ice magic. Basically, the backstory would be he had been a humble priest of Mara, and had, upon seeing a father beat his children, decided to anonymously donate money to the chidren. He did this throughout his life, and so, Mara gave the man immortality. Also, there is a Santa like cHaracter in Morrowind. I have him a beard.
    • 41 posts
    May 24, 2014 11:29 AM EDT
    I had an idea for a Dhampir, which is a cross-breed between a human and a vampire. The result is a vampire, without the weaknesses. They make great vampire hunters, but I don't think there's a way to join the Dawnguard as a vampire. The way to remove a vampire's weaknesses is through enchanting and being a Dunmer. If this could somehow be turned into a build, then I would love to see it given life!
    • 1441 posts
    May 24, 2014 11:37 AM EDT
    I actually have that build currently being playthroughed. Oh,mand I have a vampire character who hunts vamps aswell.
    • 6 posts
    May 28, 2014 2:45 PM EDT

I have a huge obsession with economy and the power that wealth brings. My Xbox Character had hit level cap and was rich as crazy, but it took a long time and it was pretty much adventuring money. I wanted to kick it up a notch by speeding up the builds monetary progression and amping up the difficulty to at LEAST DiD Master, if not legendary. The concept is simple and it even fits in well with the lore of the game (being rich is a HUGE tie in to the imperials and works well in the factions too):

1. Get Rich through preferred means

2. Buy Merc or Houscarl and get both of you the best gear possible (through crafting or otherwise)

3. Become the Moneyborn.

Only thing is, most of the time to get as wealthy in game as you need to be (we're not just talking 100k gold, I mean rich enough to practically use your coin purse as a bludgeon), you have to either grind it up through tactics most players frown on or level you're speech/trades/etc and be super squishy in fights. I tried pots, but the stronger baddies will eat you alive in just a few hits. So I'm working on it right now trying to kinda fix the combat ability (Plus I'm just now really graduating to the DiD concept on harder difficulties). This kind of a character normally detests having to do his own dirty work anyway though.

• May 30, 2014 10:46 PM EDT

I can't tell you how much I love this.

The one from Morrowind that you're thinking of is Uncle Sweetshare. He was a crazy Nordic skooma addict who gave candy to all the good boys and girls.

I'm really freaking calling Uncle Sweetshare/Father New-Life.

• May 30, 2014 10:48 PM EDT

I always liked the "lore" of Vampire Academy, even if the books were a bit meh. I can't take this one on, but I really second that build.

• 1441 posts
    May 30, 2014 10:51 PM EDT
    I've never read Vampire academy...
    • 83 posts
    May 31, 2014 9:49 PM EDT

I tried the result of

"What if you crossed Chuck Norris with Jack Bauer?"

I named him Chuck Bauer; tried to put Chuck Norris's beard on Jack Bauer.

He didn't work out that well - Chuck Norris would never go to the lengths Jack Bauer would to deal with problem people.

I later tried a build based on Marie Wiley from the game 11th Hour (Breton, blond, good looking, good with a knife and Illusion spells.)

I also once thought of making a straight-up brawler (heavy armor for Fists of Steel, restoration, no weapons - just his fists.)  He fell apart against his first dragon.