Forums » Elder Scrolls

The Unwanted Character Build Ideas Thread

• 622 posts
    February 6, 2014 6:46 PM EST

Struggling for a new build idea? Or do you have an old build that just didn't pan out? Simple solution - Come here and talk about it!

After a Skype chat, I worked out this idea for people to throw in ideas of things that didn't work out for them that other's might be interested in. If you're looking for ideas or have some that other's might want, throw them around here! Just be good sports and everything will be fine

Eg, if you see Person A interested in Person B's idea, Person C shouldn't jump in and post a build about it when Person A says he or she is. Play nice!

So, I'll start us off! I once had a build idea based on the idea of mounted combat and being a centuar. Anyone can run with that, if they so wish :)

• 55 posts
    February 6, 2014 6:50 PM EST

I think this is a great idea because I know there a lot of build ideas I come up with and just can never finish, but someone else might have a field day with. Likewise I see some new people have great ideas, but don't execute it as well as they could have and I sit there "like damn I wish I would have thought about that." The only problem I see is that people around here, and generally anywhere, are very secretive about their ideas. So many people with good ideas, whether they can do them or not, will not contribute because they want it to be THEIR idea. :/

• 338 posts
    February 6, 2014 6:51 PM EST

I was trying to do a build that was "The Return of the Worm-King" but I couldn't find any way to make it unique from a standard illusion/conjuration mage, so I gave up the idea. Anyone who wants it can have it. I can explain my idea of how Mannimarco takes control of a new body if you're interested. 

• 622 posts
    February 6, 2014 6:56 PM EST

I can competently understand. I was going to do this months ago and my Vigilant was going to be thrown in as well as the build I am working on now, but as you can see, that's not happening. If people want to use this, great, but if they want to be an idea hoarder (like me, lol), there's nothing wrong with that

• 365 posts
    February 6, 2014 7:01 PM EST

Not a bad idea! Problem is, I usually cling onto my 'crap' ideas until I find a way to make it viable, or put a spin on it somehow....I have got a vague idea for a new build I'm working on which I'm pretty sure hasn't been done (you'd be surprised if I told you, too...)

I can't remember any old build ideas particularly but most got insta-dumped because they were unoriginal or just boring on the whole, and rather soonish afterwards a newbie builder usually ends up posting the idea and gets under 25 likes... Not that the idea is always bad, it's just that they can't pull it off as if a more experienced builder could, and make it sound exciting, e.g ~ I'm pretty sure Mason could sell milk to cows, and I wouldn't be surprised if he made a living out of it!  

If I remember any ideas or dump any I'll come back and post some....it might give some inspiration for someone else's build, even if it isn't the same it might give them a creative spark...nice thread though, Tae!

• 708 posts
    February 6, 2014 7:10 PM EST

I've got one I'd like to share.

This one *kinda* worked, got boring for me but could definitely be adapted. Using the glitch to acquire vampire lord spells in human form leaves the Lord drain in your right hand and a blood magic spell in your left. Lord drain is a bit OP (especially with Blood of the Ancients) but most of the Blood Magic spells are pretty balanced, allowing you to have a powerful left-hand spell without any magic school skills (such as Alteration for the paralysis one). If you make sure you use two-handed weapons (I used the Ebony Blade), unequipping that reverts you to your last 1-handed loadout - in this case, your vamp lord abilities. Perhaps this could be adapted into an assassin sort of archetype, using bows as your two-handed weapon, and switching out daggers/spells in your right hand while maintaining say Vampiric Grip in your left. I haven't tested it but dagger sneak attack + quiet casting + vampiric grip could be good fun!

• 1913 posts
    February 6, 2014 7:32 PM EST
    I could write volumes on this subject...
    • 739 posts
    February 6, 2014 7:42 PM EST

I've got one that I'm pretty sure I won't get around to making...

I'm hesitant to talk about it actually because I was looking forward to having a go at it myself but it shares too many similarities to my old Mauloch build...

...in fact I'd already dubbed it 'The Ultimate Mauloch' and was considering a re-vamp.

Build is another vamp/necromage character. Orc wearing orcish armor. Uses the Longhammer and elemental fury necromage style to get...

155% attack speed
    100% increased damage, possibly 125%...
    50% damage reduction.

Wanted to work in archery as well because I've never done Berserker archery and I think everyone should try it at least once...

-sighs-

So many ideas and so little time...

• 365 posts
    February 6, 2014 7:49 PM EST

I actually done a build on berserk archery once, it was like, the 2nd ever build I'd made, but I don't link it to my page....(by today standards it's kinda poor )

Aedra's Crusader...

• 739 posts
    February 6, 2014 7:53 PM EST

Cool! Did you know that elemental fury works with the enhanced dwarven crossbow?

• 739 posts
    February 6, 2014 8:02 PM EST

• 185 posts
    February 6, 2014 8:02 PM EST
    Only with enhanced dwarven?
    • 55 posts
    February 6, 2014 8:14 PM EST

I have been playing a build with Berserk Archery for the past month! It will probably end up in this thread soon though 

• 249 posts
    February 6, 2014 8:49 PM EST
    I nearly posted a berserk archer that used VL spells in the left hand...great minds think alike?
    • 12 posts
    February 6, 2014 8:57 PM EST

I have always wanted to make a night elf/ moon elf character, but I didn't want it to be stealth based, the lunar weapon enchantment doesn't work, and in general, I couldn't think of enough elements in the game that would support a character like that... However, if anybody would like to attempt it, please do... as I still am interested in the character

• 11 posts
    February 6, 2014 10:42 PM EST

Ok, so was thinking about making a " Nord hunter chef", with his only weapons being a hunting bow, the fork and the knife. He would need a chef hat fairly early on in the game, and clothing over light armor. Just an idea, probably fun to roleplay, but would most likely be a side save that you would keep just to mess around with. Oh, and for those who don't know already, the fork and knife can be found at High Hrothgar (as well as other places), so the build might rely on shouts because of the main quest.

• 485 posts
    February 7, 2014 2:18 AM EST

Sometime after the release of my first character build I had the idea for a master bound weapon wielder. He would be an expert in all forms of bound weaponry and also use wards to at as a bound shield. What I quickly found out through playtesting was that I found it difficult to switch out one bound weapon and cast another within a reasonable frame of time. 

Another downside was the sheer number of levels it would take to master this build, with all the necessary perks to make each bound weapon viable, and the perks needed to do the same for wards, as well enough perks in light armor to not get crushed, I was looking at a lvl 65 build. 

Anyone's welcome to have a crack at this one. Hopefully a more talented character builder than I can one day bring this one to life. 

• 268 posts
    February 7, 2014 5:40 AM EST
    I'll bite, if Mason isn't making a Mannimarco build. I've already got a build that uses the Necromancer Amulet, and incorporating the King of Worms could give it a bit of a twist.
    • 249 posts
    February 7, 2014 7:27 AM EST
    I've kind of done this in the build I'm working on now. I didn't use the Battleaxe or Dagger though :p they just weren't necessary and the Bound Sword was much more powerful or versatile.
    • 249 posts
    February 7, 2014 7:31 AM EST
    I once created a Pilgrim that visited shrines of the Nine Divines all over Skyrim to pray and 'cleanse' the area. He also completed the pilgrimage to Auriel's Chantry. It was great fun but I just couldn't bring the whole thing together. I think the blog needs a good pilgrim build. Anybody care to take a stab at it?
    • 622 posts
    February 7, 2014 7:46 AM EST

That sounds awesome. Not my type of character, but still very cool

• 249 posts
    February 7, 2014 7:54 AM EST
    Alternatively, I thought of doing a Daedric 'pilgrimage' and doing all quests associated with Daedric Artifacts. Eventually I abandoned the idea, lack of interest at the time. Maybe somebody else could run with it. Good discussion btw ;)
    • 856 posts
    February 7, 2014 7:56 AM EST

My agent build uses alteration (for 'armor'), bound sword, and on occasion bound bow.

• 249 posts
    February 7, 2014 8:03 AM EST
    Turns out the build I will post soon and your Agent have the same skills! Although they're completely different in all other aspects. Kind of neat though :)
    • 179 posts
    February 7, 2014 9:12 PM EST

I actually already have a Pilgrim build up, but that definitely sounds like a good roleplay idea to incorporate. I might run with that.