Forums » Elder Scrolls

Farengar is kind of smug

• 32 posts
    February 6, 2014 12:01 PM EST
    Does anyone else think Farengar is kind of a smug jerk?

Just the way he words things makes me hate him a little more each time I have to interact with him. So presumptuous and assuming...
    • 89 posts
    February 6, 2014 1:11 PM EST

I don't hate him, but he definitely enjoys his position of intelligent adviser and resident scholar a little too much. Call the Dragonborn a courier a one more time, watch what happens.

• 739 posts
    February 6, 2014 1:26 PM EST

He's just a little eccentric, he has that one line during Dragon Rising where the Jarls court are all panicking about the dragon at the western watchtower...

"A dragon!! How exciting! Where was it seen? What was it doing?"

People are dying but he's absolutely delighted about the chance to see a dragon and study it and I think it sums up his personality perfectly. I really like him.

• 32 posts
    February 6, 2014 1:47 PM EST
    He could just be one of those unique people that gets along better with books than people. Perhaps previous encounters with brutish muscle heads that Balgruff has dumped on him has made him wary with hired help.
    • 32 posts
    February 6, 2014 1:48 PM EST
    Just the things he says at first meeting make me wish he was walking down a dark alley in riften...
    • 39 posts
    February 6, 2014 3:28 PM EST

He's a bit eccentric, isn't he? Maybe that's why I like him so much. That, and the fact that he has the best line in the entire game.

"Well, when I say fetch, what I really mean is delve into a dangerous ruin in search of an ancient stone tablet that may, or may not actually be there."

Hands down, the best line any NPC in Skyrim (or a lot of other games, for that matter) has ever said to me.

• 32 posts
    February 6, 2014 3:47 PM EST
    Some of you make a good case haha
  • Jen
    • 88 posts
    February 6, 2014 5:10 PM EST

I do think he's incredibly arrogant, but I just can't hate him because he makes me laugh. And very little about Skyrim makes me laugh. So I forgive him for looking down on my characters. 

• 89 posts
    February 12, 2014 12:13 AM EST

True.