Forums » Elder Scrolls

In My Time of Need - Who Was Really Telling the Truth?

• 338 posts
    February 3, 2014 12:34 PM EST

The quest "In My Time of Need" is encountered early in any playthrough of Skyrim. As part of it you are given a two conflicting stories, and a choice. Who do you think was really telling the truth, Kematu or Saadia?

Personally, I think that Saadia is full of crap, and Kematu is telling the truth, but I would like to know what you all think. Voice your opinion and give your  reasoning in the comments. 

• 338 posts
    February 3, 2014 12:36 PM EST

For some reason, the pictures are aligned properly in the edit page and in the preview, but they aren't here. Stupid ning.

• 1913 posts
    February 3, 2014 12:43 PM EST
    Can you doubt her? If he is lying and she is in danger you are basically an executioner.
    • 1913 posts
    February 3, 2014 12:44 PM EST
    Bethesda has stated that neither side is the good option here... Both stories have their flaws. Both characters are made in a way to make you seem like you can trust them... But then maybe you shouldn't...
    • 338 posts
    February 3, 2014 12:44 PM EST

Kematu's story just makes more sense. If the Thalmor was really after her, like Saadia says, they would just send Justiciars after her, not Alik'r, but if she was supporting the Thalmor, it makes sense that Redguard Alikr would be after her.

• 622 posts
    February 3, 2014 12:46 PM EST
    I usually take Saadia's side if Im doing a good hero charcater (basic damsel logic applies here), but if Im doing anything else, I go with Kematu. But in the end, both are hiding something from you and you get the nasty feeling after you finish their quest that maybe you made the wrong choice.
    • 338 posts
    February 3, 2014 12:50 PM EST

After you do this quest and turn in Saadia to Kematu, Thalmor Justaciars may come after you. (This happens even before you do Diplomatic Immunity, which is usually when Justiciars come after you.)

And that's enough to prove to me that Saadia is in cahoots with the Thalmor. 

• 1913 posts
    February 3, 2014 12:52 PM EST
    When I took Kamatu's side justiciars came after me... Not when I sided with her... What you talking bout Willis?
    • 338 posts
    February 3, 2014 12:54 PM EST

That's what I just said. "Turn Saadia in to Kematu" i.e. take Kematu's side. 

Read the damn post carfully, Willis. 

• 1913 posts
    February 3, 2014 12:59 PM EST
    Then you make no sense because why would the thalmor send people to kill you when they pick her up for them? I have a better list of plans that make more sense...

1. Kill the alik'r so she can be freed and can go to a new town.
    2. Pay for her bail.
    3. Break her free by force if needed.
    4. Send the group of alik'r as a front for their real objective.
    5. Do nothing to the dragonborn cause they never knew s/he turned her in.
    • 338 posts
    February 3, 2014 1:02 PM EST

No, Kematu says she supported the Thalmor, and that's why they're after her. Saadia says that she spoke out against the Thalmor, and that's why they're after her. 

So, if you turn her in, then Justiciars some and attack you, so logically she must have been supporting the Thalmor, because they wouldn't send people to kill you if she really had been speaking out against them. 

• 1913 posts
    February 3, 2014 1:02 PM EST
    Really I side with her because why on Kynareth's green Tamriel would they not be allowed into the city if they are searching for a criminal... They could have just talked to the jarl and explained the situation if they were really after a fugitive that would endanger the city... They wouldn't have gotten arrested and made them look bad/incompetent...
    • 1913 posts
    February 3, 2014 1:05 PM EST
    ... Somebody sides with her, a known person who spoke against them who is hated to the point where they are sending assassins after her... Wouldn't kill anyone who helped keep her safe?... Do you not know what accomplice means?
    • 338 posts
    February 3, 2014 1:05 PM EST

Because she supports the Thalmor, and the Alik'r are Hammerfell loyalists who don't like the Thalmor. 

• 1913 posts
    February 3, 2014 1:06 PM EST
    Justiciars came after me after helping Ondolemar (wasn't even dragonborn).. Justiciars make no sense...
    • 338 posts
    February 3, 2014 1:08 PM EST

You are assuming that Saadia is telling the truth.

She didn't speak out against them at all, she just tells you that to get you to help her. This is proven, because the Justiciars come after you if you turn her in, so she must have been on the Thalmor's side. 

• 1913 posts
    February 3, 2014 1:08 PM EST
    You are assuming she is with the thalmor... Your logic is invalid...
    • 338 posts
    February 3, 2014 1:10 PM EST

No it isn't. I am working from the facts. If you turn Saadia in, the Thalmor come after you, but if you help her, they don't come after you. Therefore, Saadia and the Thalmor are on the same side. 

This isn't rocket science, Bryn.

• 661 posts
    February 3, 2014 1:10 PM EST

I want to say racism but that card has been flossed too many times already.

I think the reason they don't let them is because of the reports that many Alikr warriors are harassing any redguard woman they see Skyrim. If I were Jarl I wouldn't a bunch of foreigners bothering my citizens all because some young fool thought that he found the person they were looking for.

• 271 posts
    February 3, 2014 1:12 PM EST
    Are you slow today Bryn?
    • 1913 posts
    And again, my message on the bottom of this page points a huge hole in their story...

1. You can't say cause Nords don't trust outsiders cause they have redguards living there...

2. You can't say that they couldn't talk to the jarl cause all you have to do to talk to him is talk to his housecarl... Just tell her you are looking off or a runaway fugitive and this will help save lives.

3. If they are so well respected and are so serious about catching her, why would they party and get drunk and cause problems with the locals? One would assume they would sleep at the guard barracks or outside the city and wouldn't drink because alcohol dulls the senses and prevents them from finding their target.
    • 338 posts

Plus, Balgruuf isn't dumb enough to allow people to come into his city looking for Thalmor agents. That is just asking for the Thalmor to come in and take over, using some sort of diplomatic excuse. And that would be bad news bears for Whiterun's people. And if there is one thing I know about Balgruuf, it is that the people are his priority. 

• 338 posts
    February 3, 2014 1:15 PM EST

@ Bryn, Hammerfell is no longer an Imperial province, so the Alik'r probably have to act like brigands to keep from causing another international dispute. 

• 127 posts
    February 3, 2014 1:16 PM EST

" Her story has several inconsistencies, and she somehow knows that one of the Alik'r has been arrested (after claiming that she wasn't even aware of their presence in the city), which suggests that they might be the ones telling the truth about her. " Well, she's definitely lying to Dragonborn, that's a fact.

• 1913 posts
    February 3, 2014 1:17 PM EST
    He said looking for known fugitive... He only says it is a thalmor agent after talking with her and then confronting him...