Forums » The Lounge

For 10 minutes, you're allowed to know your exact details of you

• 79 posts
    January 28, 2014 2:15 AM EST

This thought has been in my mind for a while and I'd thought I'd ask you guys, if you were given the chance to know your exact specifics of when you'll meet your maker for only ten minutes would you like to know? In those 10 minutes you can write it down, but after that time is up you'll completely forget about it. Yes or no? And why?

• 79 posts
    January 28, 2014 2:18 AM EST

For me, personally I'd like to know, I'd find it intriguing to know just exactly will be my cause of death. Of course I'll try and write it all down, but once the time frame past I'd most likely think all of this was some sort of descriptive journal on a nightmare that just occurred the night prior. But I digress, yes it'll be probably horrifying to know, but it would I think it'll be pretty calming to know just how exactly my last hours are going to be.. whether I fall in a coma or happen to go in a car crash.

• January 28, 2014 2:38 AM EST
    Hmm, interesting question.

I suppose I would say yes. It wouldn't change anything since I'm gonna forget but I probably wouldn't write it down (it's not like I'd be able to change it). When it comes to death, I tend to agree with Epicurus: "Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not." (Reworded: "Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist.") Of course a death in the family or someone special is always tragic, but I still don't think death is something to fear (except a slow death. And that's because of the slow pain, not the death).

I feel a little emo writing this...
    • 1913 posts
    January 28, 2014 2:44 AM EST
    HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN TO ME?!
    I MADE MY MISTAKES!
    • 79 posts
    January 28, 2014 2:53 AM EST

Yeah it's just something that popped into my head, you think of odd things while you are showering like ponder about life.. and odd philosophical questions... and what you're going to make for breakfast after you get dressed.

• 700 posts
    January 28, 2014 4:30 AM EST

I'd like to know how I die.  That knowledge would hopefully gain me insight into the concept free will, which would be very valuable to me.  

• 158 posts
    January 28, 2014 8:13 AM EST

Nah.  I've almost died so many times, both through my own rash actions and through circumstances far beyond my control, that I keep a running tally to keep myself amused. When it comes, it comes, however that might be.  

• 127 posts
    February 1, 2014 2:24 PM EST

No thank you.  Knowing even for a moment would have me looking over my shoulder all my life for whatever the cause of death would be,and a life spent running from death is a life half-lived.  That would simply be shameful.

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    February 1, 2014 2:37 PM EST

No, if I knew throughout my life,  I would probably be obsessed or paralyzed emotionally by the information, if I didn't remember it,  I wouldn't gain anything from it. 

• February 3, 2014 2:24 PM EST

I would rather know, but I would like to forget it as well. I would be horrible to obsess around your death, I wouldn't even be able to enjoy life anymore.

• 61 posts
    February 3, 2014 4:44 PM EST

No, just incase I did try anything during those ten minutes such as writing it down. I don't want to know, if you know when you'll die then everything just becomes a waiting game. Better to live life to live, not to die, in my opinion.

• 61 posts
    February 3, 2014 5:03 PM EST

ACTUALLY I'VE CHANGED MY MIND I would see into the future and record only things to do with my hair, whether it suited me or not and whether I should avoid it all together. Also fashion sense maybe. Just so I have a heads up.

• 89 posts
    February 3, 2014 10:57 PM EST

Nope not a chance. I would go through life avoiding a certain situation because of the fear that it might be the time, and if it was a bad way to go, I would always be living with the sickening fear that it could be coming up. Humans can survive for time without food or water, but without hope there is nothing.

• 74 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:43 PM EST
    I think, as soon as you know the future, there is no such thing as free will, since anything you try to do is basically scripted to lead up until that event, if that makes any sense.
    • 27 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:51 PM EST

No, Because being me I'll spend the rest of my days trying to out wit it :D

However if Its like I can see it in 3rd person. I'd find that interesting. 

• 700 posts
    February 18, 2014 8:59 PM EST

I kind of see where you're going, but could you elaborate?  

• 27 posts
    February 18, 2014 9:00 PM EST
    • 700 posts
    February 18, 2014 9:11 PM EST

There's an episode of Futurama with a similar premise.

Law and Oracle

• 27 posts
    February 18, 2014 9:11 PM EST

Though when you think about it. It doesn't really matter if you know or not being that everything we do is leading up to our death. In this case you will still think you have free will. But your life is still scripted you just don't know the script.

• 700 posts
    February 18, 2014 9:14 PM EST

The specifics of the death matter when talking about free will.  If I see my predicted death and am able to change it, then it can be said that at least some free will exists.  

• 27 posts
    February 18, 2014 9:14 PM EST

I completely forgot about the Futurama Episode.

• 27 posts
    February 18, 2014 9:17 PM EST

Correct, However the question then would be. Is this 10minutes a prediction or an Absolute?

• 700 posts
    February 18, 2014 9:22 PM EST

I suppose that that is a question that would also be answered at the time of death.  Though I would necessarily have to treat it as a prediction in order to act against it.

• 27 posts
    February 18, 2014 9:24 PM EST

Philosophy is so fun hehe.

• 661 posts
    February 18, 2014 9:29 PM EST
    How about I mind Mindf**k you! What if you were allowed to see those ten minutes, eleven minuetes before the ten minutes that your life will end in? You'd only have one minute to act! So what would you do?
    I just blew a load in your mind.