Forums » Elder Scrolls

The Swamps of Morthal

• 338 posts
    January 27, 2014 11:49 AM EST

"The Swamps of Morthal would be a great place for a battle. You can control Solitude's port from there, and basically choke the city."

Shor thinks this won't be a good discussion. Let's prove him wrong, ladies and gentlemen.

What lies below this line was edited in at 7:09 Central American time 1/27/2014

The quote above was originally posted as a status by Shor. 

Here is the scenario:

You are the Stormcloaks. You have won every single hold save Haafingar and the capitol city of Solitude. But, you have 1 problem. Solitude is almost impossible to take by force. (This is assuming that how you charge in head on in the game's canon is unrealistic and unreasonable.) Assuming that the number of men on each side is almost equal, how would you take the city of Solitude?

• 338 posts
    January 27, 2014 11:52 AM EST

Whatever you want, as long as it involves the city and the swampy area, and the bay.

• January 27, 2014 11:54 AM EST

Yeah, but first you have to get the forces protecting Solitude out of the swamps. How you gonna do that? 

I think a anaconda strategy might work well in solitude. l'm not attacking that hill.

• 338 posts
    January 27, 2014 11:59 AM EST

Well, I might just go for a more flashy, direct approach. If I wanted to destroy the city, then I would just destroy the column.

Now, if I wanted to take the city, I would send in agents at first to spread disease among the residents. Argonians, just to piss you off. 

• 338 posts
    January 27, 2014 12:06 PM EST

Yeah, it makes sense. If Morthal wanted to take Solitude it would make sense for them to lure Solitude's men into the swamps to level the playing field.

I think originally, Shor was talking about an invasion by ship, though. 

• 856 posts
    January 27, 2014 12:14 PM EST

Shor originally posted this as a status, here is a link to that status, in case anyone wanted to see what was discussed thus far.

• 338 posts
    January 27, 2014 12:15 PM EST

Ooh, good idea. I can't believe I forgot to link to that. 

• 338 posts
    January 27, 2014 12:16 PM EST

I think to take Solitude, an attack would have to be made simultaneously from land and from sea.

• 856 posts
    January 27, 2014 12:17 PM EST

I had assumed it wasn't an attack on Solitude, but rather a siege on Solitude's port.

• 338 posts
    January 27, 2014 12:19 PM EST

Either avenue can be discussed, and then they could even be compared. What would be more effective? Direct assault or siege?

• 158 posts
    January 27, 2014 12:19 PM EST
    Just to consider all possible options, a reasonably small force could control the port, the guard station at the bottom of the hill, the stables, and the dock entrance to the city. Morthal isn´t too far to renew supplies. A siege to starve them out, even with minimal numbers, is doable.

What you´d have to worry about in that case is Penitus Oculatus reinforcements from Dragon Bridge.
    • 338 posts
    January 27, 2014 12:21 PM EST

Just blow up the bridge and call it a day. There are only a few scarce buildings on the north side, and they are all made of wood. Burn the place down, and no worries.

• 158 posts
    January 27, 2014 12:22 PM EST
    They built a city on that bedrock, and as far as I know, Skyrim doesn´t have dynamite. I highly doubt firebolt is going to solve your problem.
    • 338 posts
    January 27, 2014 12:25 PM EST

If you gathered enough mages, it could be done. Hell, if the Dovahkiin can cause thunderstorms, I'm sure he could take care of one little bridge.

• 338 posts
    January 27, 2014 12:28 PM EST

Not to mention, it's not all bedrock.

• 158 posts
    January 27, 2014 12:33 PM EST
    oh, right, i thought you were talking about Solitude. Dragon Bridge would be really easy to take out. Not bedrock at all.

And, now that I think about it, the Immersive Weapons mod has explosive arrows that use a combination of void salts and fire salts...I´d accept that as reasonably lore friendly explosives. I dunno about mage or Thuum power taking out the Solitude arch, though.
    • 338 posts
    January 27, 2014 12:35 PM EST

You get about five guys all using max power Unrelenting force applied in the same direction to that column of stone and I bet you could knock it down, if not severely damage it. It might take a few huffs an' puffs, but by the gods I will blow that house down, dammit.

• 338 posts
    January 27, 2014 12:40 PM EST

Or, the Dovahkiin could learn more of the language and get creative with some new shouts. 

"GOLZ LIIVRAH GOVEY" 

(Earth, Diminish, Remove)

Problem solved.

• 338 posts
    January 27, 2014 1:12 PM EST

Hey, I'm trying to be creative, here. 

• 661 posts
    January 27, 2014 1:18 PM EST

This hold is the last one to grab aint it? I cant remember but I know for certain its location in Skyrim is beneficial to any army holding it. Where Fort Snowhawk is situated it makes sense that anyone would want claim over this land.

• 338 posts
    January 27, 2014 1:53 PM EST

The unusable-by-player shout that Miraak uses in Apocrypha to instantly kill dragons has 4 words instead of 3

Zii-Los Di Du

So the "rules" about dragon shouts probably aren't rules, but it made it easier for game design to have them all be one syllable words. 

• 1913 posts
    January 27, 2014 2:00 PM EST
    Mods =/= lore friendly

I have seen dwemer guns, flying houses, daedric bikinis, and bears playing the lute...
    • 338 posts
    January 27, 2014 2:08 PM EST

Certain mods are "toned-down" enough that they could be passed off as DLC. The Bosmer Armor Pack for example. There are plenty out there that are lore-friendly, you just have to pick and choose so that you don't wind up with daedric bikinis. 

As for bears playing the lute, given enough time and patience and a good enough Illusion skill, I bet someone in Skyrim could pull that off. 

• Mru
    • 8 posts
    January 27, 2014 2:25 PM EST

Just a thought on Solitude conquest.

During the quest line where you have to banish Potema. You enter catacombs under Solitudes temple, after the quest is done, you end up near an entrance that is located in hills north of solitude :P 

If someone  climbed up to that entrance and forced his way through, he could storm Solitude from inside the Temple of the Divines 

• 338 posts
    January 27, 2014 2:29 PM EST

Good strategy. I like it.