Forums » The Lounge

What's your guilty-not-to-guilty pleasure show?

• 1 posts
    January 26, 2014 5:49 PM EST
    This is something most people call a guilty pleasure, but you just get so excited to watch it, that you want to share it with everyone! Mine is When Calls the Heart, the new Hallmark series with Lori Loughlin. OH DEAR LORD I love it so much!
    • 1913 posts
    January 26, 2014 5:59 PM EST
    I know fans of the original show will groan when I say this... Dragonball GT. I loved that show, and thought it was better than the original Dragonball (the only character I liked in the original Dragonball was Roahi, and he didn't do much).
    • 61 posts
    January 26, 2014 6:18 PM EST

• 61 posts
    January 26, 2014 6:19 PM EST

I like Traffic Cops and Brighton Beach Patrol. I don't know if they count, and I think I'm the only person in the world who watches either of the two voluntarily (using them as torture methods don't count).

• 622 posts
    January 26, 2014 6:20 PM EST

Old cartoons... Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the old one and the 2004 one), Batman - The Animated series, Simpsons... Oh, and Dinsey movies that make me bawl like a baby

• 1913 posts
    January 26, 2014 7:10 PM EST
    Those aren't guilty pleasures... That is like saying wanting to live is a guilty pleasure...
  • Jen
    • 88 posts
    January 26, 2014 7:31 PM EST

I used to watch it back when it started, in the early '90s or so? I watched the first 3 or 4 seasons, but haven't seen it for a few years now.

• 158 posts
    January 26, 2014 8:00 PM EST

My roommate and I watch Vampire Diaries and The Originals.
    I enjoy them immensely - they're so bad, they're good.
    *hangs head in shame*

• 104 posts
    January 26, 2014 8:11 PM EST
    Farscape.
  • Jen
    • 88 posts
    January 26, 2014 8:19 PM EST

Have The Originals recorded, but haven't watched any of it yet. But I watched the first three seasons of The Vampire Diaries. I enjoy it. Not sure how much that has to do with nostalgia, because I liked the books so much when I was a kid. I guess they were the Twilight of my day. Sometimes I look back on my teenage self and ask "why"?  Then there is Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel....but I will love them forever and ever. They are both still among my all time favorite shows.I get a lot of flak about that from some of my horror inclined friends though I doubt they have even bothered to watch either show.

• 158 posts
    January 26, 2014 9:49 PM EST

I only actually watched Buffy for the first time a few years ago, although when I was in my first year of college, everyone I knew was watching it and raving about it.  I was too damn busy then for any TV :)  But yes, Buffy and Angel will always be close to my heart.

I don't understand how horror buffs can judge on that kind of thing - I mean, Buffy makes fun of every horror trope out there.  That's kinda the point.  You can only be judgey about it if you have no ability to laugh at yourself.

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    January 26, 2014 10:51 PM EST

I think they dismiss it as teen fluff....I don't think they realize both shows are actually pretty clever. I know someone who was really reluctant to watch Cabin in the Woods because of Joss Whedon's involvement, but when he finally watched it, he loved it. These are writers that have an obvious appreciation for the horror genre, even when they are taking shots at it. Also, the whole high school is hell theme of BtVS really rang true to me...ha.

• 104 posts
    January 26, 2014 11:11 PM EST
    Sleepy Hollow is good. I need to catch up. Anyone checked out Black Sails yet?
    • 253 posts
    January 28, 2014 12:12 AM EST

Death Note and Attack on Titan. I love their really dark psychological stuff. It makes you think.

• 253 posts
    January 28, 2014 2:04 AM EST

I have not, I will look into it.

• 8 posts
    January 28, 2014 7:55 AM EST

Storage Wars and Pawn Stars I like the occassional historical stuff that comes up. though the people make me crynge.

Oh! and QI pretty much for the same reasons.

• 5 posts
    February 4, 2014 8:27 PM EST

Looks like I'm a little late to the party but I love the US version of Being Human on SyFy. I pressured my girlfriend to fly through the first two seasons just so we could watch the new season together.

• 45 posts
    February 4, 2014 10:23 PM EST

I have the whole series on DVD, so at least the purists can hate two of us instead of one.

• 338 posts
    February 4, 2014 10:23 PM EST

Those DVDs are mine, not yours. 

• 45 posts
    February 4, 2014 10:24 PM EST

Close enough.

• 338 posts
    February 4, 2014 10:26 PM EST

Close enough only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. 

• 45 posts
    February 4, 2014 10:26 PM EST

Never read Attack on Titan, but Death Note is the Literature of the Gods.

• 45 posts
    February 4, 2014 10:27 PM EST

Well, bring some hand grenades and let's start the party.

• 338 posts
    February 4, 2014 10:28 PM EST

Hah! No. 

• 127 posts
    February 11, 2014 12:09 PM EST

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.  Though I have no feeling of guilt associated with it, it's close enough.  That and Miley Cyrus' music.