Forums » The Lounge

Any good horror movies?

• 127 posts
    January 21, 2014 2:06 AM EST
    I've been EXTREMELY bored lately, so I decided it would be a good idea to watch a horror movie. The problem is that I can't decide which movie to watch!

So any ideas? I'd love to hear what horror movies you think are good.
    • 249 posts
    January 21, 2014 2:19 AM EST
    A lot of people would probably disagree with me but I liked the Paranormal Activity series except for 4. The Conjuring was also pretty good. I hear Salem's Lot is a great classic but I haven't seen it myself. What do you like?
    • 127 posts
    January 21, 2014 2:29 AM EST
    I like silence of the lambs (it's loosely based on Ed Gein), the shining, misery, and it

For the most part I like phycological thrillers
    • 249 posts
    January 21, 2014 2:34 AM EST
    Silence of the Lambs was pretty good. Red Dragon is the only one I haven't seen. The Shining is great and It scare the crap outta me as a youngin'. If I think of anything I'll let ya know.
    • 127 posts
    January 21, 2014 2:40 AM EST
    Sweet thanks man
    • 127 posts
    January 21, 2014 6:30 AM EST

Evil Dead. Paranormal Activity is shitty.

• 249 posts
    January 21, 2014 7:52 AM EST
    Point proven.
    • 1913 posts
    January 21, 2014 7:55 AM EST
    Final destination is hilarious
    • 249 posts
    January 21, 2014 8:04 AM EST
    V/H/S is made up of five(?) short horror films made by different directors. It had some pretty good parts.
    • 127 posts
    January 21, 2014 8:41 AM EST

It's not "that" bad, but I consider it bad. It was so simple and I didn't find it scary.
    %90 cameras %10 short creepy scenes.

• 1913 posts
    January 21, 2014 8:50 AM EST
    Devil by shamalan?! Interesting?! No... Just... Just no...
    • 1913 posts
    January 21, 2014 8:53 AM EST
    I believe the story is based off a case here in Wisconsin... Not completely sure though...
    • 1913 posts
    January 21, 2014 8:54 AM EST
    Never mind, it was Nome, Alaska.
    • 1913 posts
    January 21, 2014 9:06 AM EST
    Though it didn't scare me cause I knew who the devil was when I watched it... It is super easy this having no tension with the others cause I know none of them are the devil...

Plus, how can I forget the infamous "jelly side down" scene
    • 8 posts
    January 21, 2014 9:32 AM EST

I stopped watching horror movies after seeing 'Manitou', that feaked me out and gave me sleepless nights for weeks.  Obviously a bit dated now, but it was a little to plausible for my taste at the time.

• 55 posts
    January 21, 2014 9:37 AM EST
    I love scary movies, even though I don't get the same thrill from them anymore some still have their moments. The Insidious movies and the Conjuring are probably the best you will get in terms of recent years, they're the first to get a jump out of me since I was little. My favorite horror movie is The Descent. It has some cliches but trust me, it is a trip. In terms of psychological thrillers The Strangers is fantastic.
    • 55 posts
    January 21, 2014 9:39 AM EST
    No offense, but it had one good part. One of the videos turned out being about a vampire lord for Pete's sake!
    • 26 posts
    January 21, 2014 11:00 AM EST

I really liked the Conjuring. Well, that's a lie, it scared me shitless. Still, if you're looking for a good horror movie, give it a watch.

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    January 21, 2014 11:35 AM EST

I thought the first Paranormal Activity was creepy as hell. 2 was unnecessary and redundant, but I found the prequel interesting.

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    January 21, 2014 11:41 AM EST

I liked Devil, but it had it's problems. I agree it's an interesting premise that wasn't done as well as it could have been.I enjoyed The Conjuring.The Fourth Kind, the footage wasn't real, and it just struck me as kind of silly (having the fake "real" footage alongside the "movie"....I think it would have been more effective if they would have picked one style).

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    January 21, 2014 11:47 AM EST

Loved Insidious (but I have a problem with the ending) The Descent is one of my favorites also. Would have loved The Strangers as well if the couple wasn't so stupid that it pulled me away from the movie. Was incredibly creepy at times and it was well acted, so definitely worth a watch.

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    January 21, 2014 12:03 PM EST

If you like horror comedies with some gore, You're Next is good. It's predictable but the lead girl is just awesome. She's tough. And it has a healthy dose of the absurd (I enjoy movies that don't take themselves too seriously). Cabin in the Woods is another favorite of mine that pokes a lot of fun at horror archetypes. I think Dead Silence is a lot of fun, but didn't care for the CGI. REC is another favorite of mine. So is The Devil's Backbone but it's not scary so much as sad.

• 55 posts
    January 21, 2014 2:24 PM EST
    For Insidious I think that the entire second movie, including the ending, were just meant to set up for a series. I hope they don't ruin it like they did Paranormal Activity or Saw. I normally laugh through scary movies so the comical stunts anyway of the couple in The Strangers didn't bother me. I can see how it does break the immersion though. But like you said, even with that it is still creepy which is just a sign of how good it is.
    • 268 posts
    January 21, 2014 3:37 PM EST
    Seeing this discussion makes me want to get back into horror movies. The last one I watched was The Woman in Black, a couple of years ago now. The Conjuring sounds like a good one though, I need to see that. My friend saw it and it scared the shit out of him, so it must be good. Is it actually a proper good scary film, or just jump scares?
    • 61 posts
    January 21, 2014 6:38 PM EST

THe Shining is t