Forums » Elder Scrolls

The Character Build Deathmatch: Discussion

• 557 posts
    January 18, 2014 9:41 AM EST

Hello all, Emer here!

Mason has chosen eight builds to face his axe, and it is up to you to decide which build (or builds) survive! Here is this week's Character Build Deathmatch!

Welcome to this week's Character Build Deathmatch! 

Each week 8 builds from the dark bowels of the Bloodworks are belched up and pitted against each other in a 24 hour battle for survival. The winner gets to live to fight another day, the losers however are served instant death.

This week the following 8 builds have been dragged into the arena for your entertainment!

Any build that scrapes 20 likes during the course of the match will progress into the next rank and will naturally escape death.

VERY IMPORTANT!

We've been getting a number of people complaining recently about the Deathmatch being unfair and stating that no build deserves to be deleted. Ironically, these people are doing absolutely nothing to save the 'contestants' by adding their own 'like' and commenting on why the builds should be saved.

Remember that the fate of these builds is in your hands. If you don't like something, do something about it. Complaining about it afterwards is a complete waste of time.

The Deathmatch is an important feature of the group because it brings attention to builds in the Bloodworks that may have been missed and removes builds that the majority of people don't care for. Thus it keeps the group and site standard high, call it elitist all you like but we didn't get to where we are today by housing poor content.

-Mason

Remember to vote for and like your favorite build(s), as only you can save them now! 

• 8 posts
    January 18, 2014 10:29 AM EST

The Forgotten knight isn't actually that bad.

• 56 posts
    January 18, 2014 10:39 AM EST

Mason, the Nimble Blade links to the forgotten Knight. Might wanna fix this

• 75 posts
    January 18, 2014 11:03 AM EST

Spelling error on Traitor of the Mythic Dawn.

• 739 posts
    January 18, 2014 11:07 AM EST
    I can't, emer will have to do it (or Ben). Links drive me mad sometimes, they just don't take when you paste them in. Happens on cb main page every week.
    • 485 posts
    January 18, 2014 11:33 AM EST

Forgotten Knight is going to win this hands down.  There are bits ad parts of it that could use fine tuning, but other than that I think its a good build. 

• 70 posts
    January 18, 2014 11:52 AM EST

I voted for the Naga, it's a pretty good build and has some nice lore backing it up as well.

• 360 posts
    January 18, 2014 12:30 PM EST

(insert axe sharpening sound here)

• 490 posts
    January 18, 2014 12:42 PM EST
    I am sure the site would be just fine...
    • 194 posts
    January 18, 2014 1:03 PM EST

Not sure between Naga and Evangelist... I suppose the Naga has more likes so I'll vote for the Evangelist to keep both up...

edit: can somebody explain what they like about the Forgotten Knight?

• 194 posts
    January 18, 2014 1:09 PM EST

It would. It's the moderators who wouldn't be able to sleep at night. The deathmatch is for entertainment purposes. Literally like a gladiatorial arena. If it was actually about quality, we would simply enforce rules on build completion and relegate bad builds as not featured or visible on user's profile only.

• 490 posts
    January 18, 2014 1:13 PM EST
    I won't respond really, I might be too busy pulling out those words you put in my mouth. This link might help soothe you, though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG2eGVt6v2o
    • 268 posts
    January 18, 2014 1:17 PM EST
    Lol, I'm kinda with Ben on this one. I've said it before as well, if you want to post crap, go to the forums. But I can't be bothered to rant right now, so I'll just vote instead. It'll have to be the Forgotten Knight. It looks pretty good, though good definitely be improved if the author is still around.
    • 194 posts
    January 18, 2014 1:33 PM EST

Like I said, builds should be a profile thing and only made public once approved by mods or by their likes.

• 158 posts
    January 18, 2014 1:48 PM EST

I'd like to know this too.  The Forgotten Knight seems pretty generic to me.

• 739 posts
    January 18, 2014 2:03 PM EST

What's a 'profile thing'?

Deathmatch simply lets you have a say rather than the hosts going on purges in the middle of the night and killing everything. Yep its been dressed up as an arena, it's just a fun way of presenting the idea instead of just having a soulless vote box in the side bar...

• 49 posts
    January 18, 2014 2:12 PM EST

I voted the Evangelist. Wonderfully well-written, and a great backstory to go with it.

• 49 posts
    January 18, 2014 2:13 PM EST

It was my second, but it wasn't really that good. Or at least, not the best.

• 179 posts
    January 18, 2014 2:39 PM EST

Honestly, this sounds like more effort than it's worth. I think the opposite should be done instead. Rather than having the build on their profile to begin with, the author of losing builds should just take their build and post in on their profile instead, assuming they still care about it.

My personal opinion: if enough people truly dislike the deathmatches, then their combined voting power should be enough to bump all the builds up to 20 likes to prevent it. Otherwise, they can continue on as normal.

Also, if the deathmatches are done for entertainment purposes, then they're doing a really terrible job of it. They occasionally result in interesting conversations in the comments (this is actually how the Character Build Playtest got its start), but the deathmatches in themselves aren't particularly entertaining.

• 25 posts
    January 18, 2014 2:44 PM EST

The Evangelist seems like the best build listed to me. Could stand some polish but other than that it seems really good. The other ones are either badly written, or pretty generic. And seeing as I remember the Great Purge and I'd rather have this happen than the former.

• 194 posts
    January 18, 2014 2:57 PM EST

I like your first paragraph. I have an example of a build that was deleted and the user apparently left the site. I have uploaded the build to my profile in hopes it be seen. You can view it and judge whether or not it's good. I just fear this deleting builds ideology is not as helpful and friendly, as we all should be, as letting people have their builds as their personal work and only promoting winners as opposed to promoting winners and further punishing losers.

• 179 posts
    January 18, 2014 3:13 PM EST

That's a fair point. I feel that we should always try to help people improve their builds first, but too often people simply don't bother to do so. On the other hand, the builds that do get improved typically move on to Recognized, sometimes even further. There are Exemplar/Mythic builds that were once stuck in the Bloodworks, or even featured in deathmatches.

Also, keep in mind that the deathmatches do have an upside for the selected builds in that it gives them some notable promotion and advertising, which builds in the Bloodworks would otherwise lack.

• 194 posts
    January 18, 2014 3:37 PM EST

Definitely. I suppose I am just against the deletion of builds when there seems to be a feasible alternative of relegating the losing builds to the users' profile. It would allow them to keep their build and develop it IF they choose to.

So like you said, the user can post it to their profile if it loses but I have a good example of when that didn't happen and I actually salvaged the build from google's cached pages.

• 179 posts
    January 18, 2014 4:12 PM EST

Yeah, I remember talking to you about that build. Personally, I think it was better than most builds that end up in the Bloodworks, but I didn't find it particularly interesting.

• 30 posts
    January 18, 2014 4:18 PM EST
    The Naga was pretty good it has my like.