Forums » Elder Scrolls

If you could revamp 1 existing spell in Skyrim what would it be

• 79 posts
    January 17, 2014 11:12 PM EST

I've been toying around a bit on Morrowind and Skyrim as of late, and more and more I've become frustrated with the lack of spell diversity Skyrim has to offer. Skyrim absolutely pales in comparison to Morrowind when it comes to spells and enchantments. But I digress, my question to everyone is this: If you could revamp 1 existing spell from Skyrim what would it be and why?

For me it'll have to be Telekinesis. I wish it had 2 general functions; the first function would be its usual function like it is now, only you can open doors or activate levers/traps/etc, and the second function would be have it function like the rock-it launcher from Fallout 3. You hold the spell down and release while not having it highlighted over anything and it'll open up a menu of things you can use as ammunition, select the things you want to use as bullets and if you find a target, pull your trigger (or push your cast button) to "fire" your bullets, hold it and you'll have an automatic firing effect. And if you dual cast telekinesis, you'll fire 3x more. Damage will be based on how high your alteration skill is and the item's modifier (it's weight, base damage, base armor, enchanted properties). All fired items has a 50% chance of disintegrating.

But no, that's just not the way it's meant to be. Rather, what we have is a useless pull/throw function that does barely any damage that couldn't even open doors or flip levers/activate traps from afar.

• 1 posts
    January 18, 2014 1:18 AM EST

I'd revamp the way NPCs react to your spells, like in the Destruction skill. They should be flailing around after set on fire, twitch when shocked, and slowed down more when frozen. They also don't even react to your Conjuration spells.

Now, for a revamped skill... I'd say the Ward spell. It should be reflecting a certain percentage, not negating it. And besides, for some reason, all you need is the Lesser Ward since it can already block all damage from spells (even though it claims otherwise). The Telekinesis spell does need revamping too like you suggested.

• January 18, 2014 6:16 AM EST

All necromancy spells need a revamp IMO. You kill someone and then you resurrect them for 60 seconds?

They mostly turn to ash before I even find the next enemy

They should have made it that you can have 10 resurrected bodys that stay until they die, but they only have 15% of their original strength, or 1 dead thrall with full strength.

• 38 posts
    January 18, 2014 8:47 AM EST

Blizzard, it takes forever to cast and it cant even kill a skeever, it makes it snow thats it, all that time spent getting Destruction to 100 and your reward it a weak spell that makes it snow for a little bit.

• 61 posts
    January 18, 2014 12:45 PM EST

I'd have telekinesis too, but no offence, I think your second idea is pretty stupid. It's way too complicated and having to open a menu everytime you use a spell? No thanks.

It should be used to "activate" anything, just as you would if you were standing next to it, e.g. open doors, activate traps and such (as you said). What would be awesome is if you threw an item, the damage it deals is affected by it's stats, so a thrown kettle would do far more damage than a mug, and a thrown ebony sword would do far more damage than an iron. You know if you could actually use it in a fight. Throwing a sword at someone in reality would probably inpale them, but in Skyrim it bounces off their face like a decapitated kitten. I wish I could carry a bunch of iron daggers, and then drop them all on the floor before a fight and throw them at the enemy as they make their advance. Or better still, use Disarm and then pick up their weapons and throw them at them.

If that's too complicated, then maybe you could simply use it to disarm enemies, maybe it could have a "chance to disarm per second" variable, based upon your alteration skill. It could even have a "chance to pick lock per second", but maybe that's going to far. Anyways, this would certainly make it more useful, especially for thieves. It already is kind of usefull, in that you can use Disarm, and then throw all the enemies weapons away, but it'd be great if I could actually use it to atleast open doors or pull levers.

• 79 posts
    January 18, 2014 3:14 PM EST

Morrowind has spells that affected a lot more things than Skyrim and best of all you could make your own spells while modifying its spell magnitude, range, radius. All of these are at your disposal: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Spell_Effects

• 79 posts
    January 18, 2014 3:18 PM EST

Eh, really?-- it worked flawlessly in Fallout 3. You pulled the trigger and it'll open up a menu of the available things you can use as ammunition.

If you forgot or haven't played Fallout 3, skip to 4m 25s;

• 79 posts
    January 18, 2014 7:27 PM EST

Yeah, I never really did understand why Beth. did away with the reflect spell effect. It was pretty awesome reflecting spells back at mages and see them writhe.

• 79 posts
    January 18, 2014 7:29 PM EST

If they were only 15% original strength wouldn't those thrall be a tad too weak specially on higher difficulties. Though I do like the idea of having dead thrall spell at lower levels.. would make more sense for necromancers.

• 79 posts
    January 18, 2014 7:33 PM EST

Aye, all the master spells save probably lightning storm are weak. As it is it would be more efficient getting and using scrolls instead.

As for your issue with Blizzard damage is based on your character's resistance. More resistance less damage you do, less or negative resistance and your blizzard would wreck havoc. Strange but true.

• 739 posts
    January 18, 2014 7:38 PM EST

This topics been up before and i have to go with Tele as an attack spell! Force Unleashed style!

Pick targets up and lob them at each other! Beth made this real with vampiric grip but you have to be in lord form to use it which I think spoils the effect...

Reflect was always a really cool one! I do miss that actually! It's almost like Bethesda were so knocked out by the visuals they were able to create in Skyrim that all the details like spells and unique items took second place and they put no thought into them...

• 79 posts
    January 18, 2014 8:08 PM EST

Oh there is?-- shoot didn't know (also I'm not one for necro'ing dead discussions). But yeah, I think they were rushing Skyrim (and for good reasons, see Adam Adamowicz). Now if only they'd release another expansion pack that place more emphasis on spells and uniques.

• 739 posts
    January 18, 2014 8:22 PM EST

Sure, we've had the 'spell' discussion before but it's always a really good one...

I also miss the Mysticism school, beng able to teleport and set the points you go to (Recall - Morrowind) would have been brilliant in Skyrim and would have opened up completely new playstyles for a ton of different character builds...

• January 19, 2014 4:03 AM EST

Yeah but if you had 10 summons instead of 1 they would be weak, but they could overwhelm the enemy with their sheer numbers. This is how necromancy should be in my opinion, but of course there could be a variety of spells. The more summons you have, the weaker your creatures are.