Forums » Elder Scrolls

Justified usage of glitches?

• 38 posts
    January 16, 2014 11:04 PM EST

We all know there are many game breaking glitches/ exploits in Skyrim, but are there any you feel justifide using? That in your mind is something that still makes the game challenging and maybe you even think it should have been added to the game anyway. One i think is justifide is using the resto glitch to get shout time down by 50% at all times, not 75% or 100% but i think 50% cool down at all times is not cheating. Thoughts?

• 158 posts
    January 16, 2014 11:08 PM EST

I'm a big fan of limitations to balance out glitches.  I don't think there's anything wrong with using something like the fortify resto glitch, as long as you make some kind of major trade-off to balance it out.  But then again, I like to impose heavy limitations on my characters for RP purposes anyway.

• 700 posts
    January 17, 2014 3:57 AM EST

I have no qualms about using exploits.  That's the great thing about single player games - the player is completely justified to mold the game to their liking since any changes will effect only the player.  Using exploits is just like using console commands or mods.  The use of exploits or abstinence from exploits is up to the discretion of the player and they're justified either way.  

• 108 posts
    January 17, 2014 5:34 AM EST

Glitches and exploits are the mods of console players. If you have no way to repair a game, find an exploit to get the desired result.

• 95 posts
    January 20, 2014 7:43 AM EST

50% is not even a glitch. Be a vampite, have the necromage perk, wear an amulet of Talos and get his blessing. And here you go, 50% cooldown reduction for shouts.

• 127 posts
    January 21, 2014 1:46 AM EST
    Here's my thought: if it's in the game, why not use it? It's not my fault that some skills (alchemy in particular) are OP.
    • 127 posts
    January 21, 2014 1:47 AM EST
    That may not be a popular thought but it's at least truthful.
    • 95 posts
    January 21, 2014 2:06 AM EST

For example, the Dawnstar chest glitch. Since the release of Skyrim there were some patches, 3 DLCs, and this glitch still works. 

• 127 posts
    January 21, 2014 2:07 AM EST
    I use it all the time
    • 95 posts
    January 21, 2014 4:43 AM EST

I used it once because of the gold and for the soul gems to level up enchanting instantly at the beginning. It was a bit game breaking

• 108 posts
    January 21, 2014 5:46 AM EST

Especially the chests spoiled many characters for me. Perhaps because of my lack of restraint. ^_^

• 1483 posts
    January 21, 2014 6:48 AM EST

I don't use glitches. First reason, I don't have access to most of them due to Unofficial Patches I use. Second reason, the game already gives player a lot of advantages, no need to give him more using glitches. As to time saving glitches like chests, gathering those items and gold is a part of the fun, by utilizing those glitches you remove that aspect

• 1483 posts
    January 21, 2014 6:55 AM EST

I understand that they save time, but IMO if you try to save time in Skyrim you're doing it wrong. I'd rather go with the normal flow even if it takes me a week to get the same items

• 89 posts
    January 21, 2014 8:36 AM EST

I'm usually ok with doing a one time glitch, or something specific to a character, like taking the Aetherial Crown on and off to reactivate the Ritual Stone, or early on boosting shout reduction. There's a few that just really blow the game into excessive overpoweredness, but mostly they're ok.

• 856 posts
    January 21, 2014 9:35 AM EST

I avoid the use of glitches, especially the ones that break my role-play, or the ones that cause my character to be over-powered.  However, as others have said before, it's a single-player game; play like you want and have fun.

• 127 posts
    January 21, 2014 11:47 PM EST
    I use the chests (among other glitches) in skyrim only after I've beaten the game
    • 38 posts
    January 22, 2014 12:04 AM EST

What about getting training from a follower then taking your gold back? is that considered a clitch? or pickpocketing gold from trainers?

• 95 posts
    January 22, 2014 2:53 AM EST

I don't know if it counts as a glitch or not, but I always (ab)use trainer-followers, with my current character it was mainly Vilkas and Farkas after completing the Companion questline. I used them on every level for free Heavy armor and Two-handed training. Btw a small easter egg, Farkas means wolf in Hungarian, and Vilkas means wolf too in Lithunian :D

• 89 posts
    January 27, 2014 9:37 PM EST

Oh I forgot one. The gauntlet-stacking glitch to make Unarmed combat feasible ala NoSnake's Master Monk is one I'm ok with because it can be restricted and it's the best way to do it practically.

• 79 posts
    January 27, 2014 9:49 PM EST

Only glitch that I use is Fortify Restoration stacking to quick level skills (Alchemy, Smithing, Speech) to 100.

I don't count using Fortify Restoration to fortify equipment/blessing/stones as a glitch because they've been classified as Restoration school by the makers of the game, thus using Fortify Restoration/Destruction/Alteration to power up your enchantment and buffs should be fair game. It's only when you stack start potion stacking do you start crossing the line and go into the realms of glitching.

On a similar note I don't consider abusing Follower Trainers as a glitch because as a friend or follower of yours, they should be training you for free anyways.

• 338 posts
    January 27, 2014 10:12 PM EST

"The only glitch I use is the most broken glitch in the game." lol

• 79 posts
    January 27, 2014 10:39 PM EST

It depends on how you utilize it. If you abuse a glitch to level up and over come hours of pointless grinding more power to you. If you abuse a glitch to power through combat / questing.. you're doing something wrong.

But again, this is coming from your personal stand points, if you like to spend countless hours on repetitive actions and you find that to be a good way to spend your time playing then have at it.. Unfortunately I don't have that luxury and only have dedicated times that I can spend playing. Laugh if you must but that's just life.