Forums » Elder Scrolls

My Skyrim Obsessions Of Order

• 229 posts
    December 30, 2013 3:14 PM EST

I started this forum to resolve my biggest problem in games and hear if any of you have a similar problem. I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and while this has affected me in real life it has also affected how I play games. It has made me waste large amounts of time while playing games and removed some of the joy from them. This mostly occurs to me in games like Skyrim and Fallout, but still affects other games I play. Lately I've been obsessing over things in Fallout New Vegas where I believed I made some miniscule mistakes in a playthrough over 200 hours and was starting to redo it all. I had someone take it for awhile to help me stop obsessing, and after reading a book, I had an idea to start a new Skyrim playthrough, as I have only truly built a class around three skill trees, Destruction, Archery, and One-Handed. While starting this I saw my old Skyrim profile Seyd which I had finished quite awhile ago. I got on it and instantly began trying to find places to return my daedric artifacts to, as I had gotten four of them that went against my character's morality, two of which I could have avoided, and the other two by choice. Most of the remaining artifacts weren't obtained through vile quests, but owners were inherently evil, or I had no use for and wished to get rid of. I found great places to return Dawnbreaker and Azura's Star,  but couldn't find where to put the others. I always do these things in games, and it honestly can suck the life out of them. In my mind while playing I always have a list of objectives that I have to complete which sometimes gets rid of the simple fun of random adventuring. I was wondering if any of you guys had ideas how to help this or are in similar situations.

• 365 posts
    December 30, 2013 3:21 PM EST

I think most people have OCD at some level, I know I do. The feeling everything has to be in perfect order or you have to redo it....I get it quite often.

Last month I returned a level 42 character to an earlier save of level 6 because I wanted to build my house differently....

I feel your pain!

• 1913 posts
    December 30, 2013 3:24 PM EST
    People mistake OCD for wanting everything to be clean and orderly... It isn't that... It is liking everything to be in a SPECIFIC way... Your way can be absolutely messy and out of control... But to you it is perfectly placed
    • 365 posts
    December 30, 2013 3:38 PM EST

The most common type of OCD is wanting everything to be tidy, not essentially clean, just everything in it's place.

My step-mum has severe arthritis (can barely walk) and OCD which is the worst combination in the world, since she wants everything done PERFECTLY but can't do any of it herself....

Just orders everyone around to do something until it's pristine. Having OCD on it's own is manageable....yet there are worse disorders, believe me.

• 229 posts

One of my houses bug me so much because the statues are glitched. I tried stuffing a bear on a plaque and nothing happened, so I tried a Spriggan with the same results. I later returned to find a bear and a Spriggan clipping into eachother.

• 229 posts

Bryn is correct

• 365 posts
    December 30, 2013 3:42 PM EST

There are many many different variations like needing to wash your hands every 30 mintues...or doing everything in 3's.

Weird variations. Bryn is correct, yes, but general obsession with cleanliness is diagnosed as OCD...

• 229 posts
    December 30, 2013 3:45 PM EST

I know, I wasn't saying you were wrong, I was just saying Bryn was correct.

• 1483 posts
    December 30, 2013 4:57 PM EST

I only do those kinds of restarts if something glitches so bad it ruins the game (didn't happen often with Unofficial Patches). Other than that there are my usual DiD restarts. Those reasons are the only ones. I may, however, restart some other game if I have missed one collectible (if I decide to collect them which happens often). I think that's the closest I get to obsession 

• 52 posts
    December 30, 2013 6:41 PM EST
    I only wish to have stuff that I absolutely need. Ex. In FNV I don't carry any of those extra ammo, they cases. They take up inventory space and makes it harder to naviagate.
    • 3 posts
    December 30, 2013 10:55 PM EST

I am exactly the same way when I play, and I think a lot of people are like that, too.