Forums » Elder Scrolls

Historical/Cultural Similarities between Skyrim and the Real Wor

• 49 posts
    December 27, 2013 2:12 PM EST

So, I was in the car one day, and I randomly thought; "Hey, Skyrim is a lot like the War of American Independence". Upon further contemplation, I found many examples and similarities between the Elder Scrolls and historical events in the Real World.

I found similarities between the Empire and the Byzantines. Think about it. The Third Empire was founded by Tiber Septim, who formed it out of the various tribes/provinces of Tamriel. After the last Emperor was assassinated, the Empire crumbles. And what rises? A new one. Well, the same one, but with a different line of rulers. Not nearly as strong as the Septims, and slowly losing their hold over the world. I see the Byzantines here. And you could also compare the Civil War to the American Revolution. I know most people think of the American Civil War, but I found similarities. For example, the rebels have a strong, sometimes opportunist leader. I'd say the only difference between Ulfric and George Washington is that Ulfric had some competency in strategizing, unlike a certain Cherry Tree Chopper...

The Stormcloaks are like the Continental Army, in a way. Dressed in rags and fighting for independence from the largest Empire of it's time. Supplies for the Empire sent from the capital of the Empire (Britain/Cyrodiil), not to mention strong advisors for the Stormcloak (Galmar= Lafayette). You could say Hammerfell is like France, in a way, because they hate the Empire too, but they didn't assist in the war, so not really.

You could also say that the events in Morthal are similar to the Salem Witch Hunts. There are Vampires lurking around at night, accusations and even a lair for you to clear out. Of course, unlike Salem, there actually are immortal creatures lurking in the night.

On a side note, the White-Gold Tower in the Imperial City could be like Big Ben in London.

And then there's the obvious. The Thalmor are Nazis. They seek to eradicate people of a certain religion, or at least followers of a certain God. They think their race is superior, and fight a whole war about it. I think this was intended.

So, Tamrielics? What do you think? Any examples of historical similarities between the Real World and Skyrim?

• 360 posts
    December 27, 2013 2:25 PM EST

I think you are right about the Thalmor, and I also wonder how Thalmor sympathizers find arguments to defend that nasty organization

• 49 posts
    December 27, 2013 2:26 PM EST

Just ask Vix. Wait, he's not active anymore. Sorry.

• 360 posts
    December 27, 2013 2:48 PM EST

still, defending the Thalmor is indirectly defending the Nazis, same ideals, same goals, same methods. if you ask me, it's hard to like them

• 152 posts
    December 27, 2013 11:51 PM EST

I think the Empire has a lot in common with the Roman Empire, with the most recent edition of the Empire being the equivalent of the Byzantine Empire, which was the heir to the Roman Empire.

I feel as if the Morthal vampire quest was supposed to be more like the classic Vampire hunter story/movie idea, not a reference to the Salem witch trials. Now if the quest involved Falion, then I would totally agree. His entire relationship with the townsfolk of Morthal is very Salem-y.

The White Gold Tower is somewhat not a reference to anything, it is just a part of the meta-lore if you believe in it.

I completely understand and mostly agree with the whole Thalmor=Nazis idea, but I just grinds my gears a little