Forums » Elder Scrolls

Hadvar or Ralof?

• 12 posts
    December 23, 2013 12:50 PM EST

At the beginning of the game, do you usually choose Hadvar or Ralof?

RP and personal preference-wise, why do you choose them?

• 152 posts
    December 23, 2013 12:56 PM EST

Hadvar. I instinctively went with him my first play through, and I really have never looked back. I have never liked the Stormcloaks. I have respect for their cause, but I support the Empire

• 61 posts
    December 23, 2013 1:44 PM EST

Rp-wise characters loyal or respectful of the Empire/ the law side with Hadvar, mostly for the prospect of him clearing their name. Despite your name not being listed on the executioner's list my characters usually prefer to be safer. Personally, I like Hadvar. He's kind and he's one of my favourite race. and he has cool hair.

• December 23, 2013 1:46 PM EST

Ralof, because he does what he needs to do.

• 36 posts
    December 23, 2013 1:48 PM EST
    Ralof because when he says hey "race" come on get up he is helping you regardless of your race so not all stormcloaks are bad.
    • 70 posts
    December 23, 2013 1:53 PM EST

Wouldn't Ralof also be one of your favourite race then?

• 61 posts
    December 23, 2013 1:55 PM EST

Hadvar's a Nord?! *Faints in horror*

• 70 posts
    December 23, 2013 1:56 PM EST

I really just go with whoever suits the character best, most often that's Ralof. I dislike the Legion and even though Hadvar isn't as bad as most of them, he's still "one of the enemy" for most of my characters. Also, escaping with Ralof just feels more "right" because he was a prisoner like you, not the guy who was just about to have you executed.

• 2 posts
    December 23, 2013 2:27 PM EST

I chose Hadvar on my first time playing. I actually never knew Ralof was an option, I just followed Hadvar to the keep because I was standing closest to him. Heheh

• 91 posts
    December 23, 2013 2:33 PM EST

Hadvar on Imperial supporters. Ralof on Stormcloak supporters or on neutral characters because it just makes more sense. I mean even if you're not a Stormcloak sympathizer the Imperials still tried to have your head lobbed off despite your name not being on the list.

• December 23, 2013 2:43 PM EST
    I normally choose Ralof just for the loot (imperial armor sells better than that bullshit chain mail). And his voice is cooler.

As for which character I like more: Neither. They're in the game for like 30 minutes, 45 minutes if you do the Civil War. Not much development for either of them and they're almost the same character.
    • 36 posts
    December 23, 2013 2:45 PM EST
    ^hahahaha
    • 36 posts
    ^hahahaha
    • 70 posts

Ah, Ralof is by far the better choice for power-play, but I normally don't loot corpses unless I'm playing a thief, and even then I only take weapons. Another advantage of going with Ralof is that you won't be up against two-handers, so it's easier to fight your way out of that room with 5 guys in it.

• 149 posts
    December 23, 2013 3:05 PM EST

I used to choose Ralof at first, since I sided with the Stormcloaks early on. Now, however, I prefer Hadvar. I like his character better - it was nice to see someone was willing to try and reason with the enemy for the sake of common survival.

• 365 posts
    December 23, 2013 3:11 PM EST

Hadvar, not because I like or sympathize with the Imperials (I'm always 100% Stormcloaks)

But for one reason only: Hadvar talks less inside the fort, and you jump into the action quicker, meaning you're out of Helgen quicker. (Is it just me?!)

• 365 posts
    December 23, 2013 3:12 PM EST

Ben, the one furthest from you takes you to Hadvar, the one one your immediate right as you go through the arch takes you to Ralof.

• 2 posts
    December 23, 2013 3:13 PM EST

It depends on whether I feel like role playing. The first time I chose Ralof and went with the Stormcloaks with the Civil War quest line. After some talking with the NPC's I came to the conclusion that Ulfric was a bit too power hungry than I liked. If I want to play a criminal of sorts, I go with Ralof. If I want to stay good and lawful I go with Hadvar in the hopes of being "pardoned" lol. Either way I join the Legion from now on if I decide to go with the quests.

• 116 posts
    December 23, 2013 3:16 PM EST
    Hadvar if I'm playing an archer char (then get Faedenal and use the sneak/lvl up archery exploit). For any other character besides legion supporters, Ralof just for the sole fact you are both prisoners escaping Helgen
    • 158 posts
    December 23, 2013 3:32 PM EST

I've gone with both depending on whether my character sided with the Imperials or the Stormcloaks, but I much prefer Ralof.  He reminds me of a lot of people I know - good ol' boy, loyal to family, locally minded.  I can't really get behind the Empire, even with all of the drawbacks to the Stormcloaks - in my mind, the Stormcloaks are by far the lesser evil.  And I know it's superficial, but Hadvar's French Canadian accent irritates the crap out of me.  If he was speaking French, it would be fine, but in English, it grates on my nerves.

• 365 posts
    December 23, 2013 3:32 PM EST

Also, I don't know if anyone knows, but if you pick Hadvar, once you get to Riverwood, the iron ingots by Alvor's workbench are allowed to be taken for free. (There's about 9)

You could go on to smelt a few iron daggers to level up your Smithing quicker.

If you pick Ralof they're tagged as 'stolen'.

• December 23, 2013 3:34 PM EST
    I typically don't start roleplaying until level 5-10, once I have my character mostly set-up.
    • 10 posts
    December 23, 2013 3:39 PM EST

I've despised Hadvar since I heard him say "Can't wait to kill another one of Ulfric's boys."

This may be a massive double standard, but I hated hearing him say that. The Stormcloaks are his kinsmen, divided by politics and faith, but Nords in the legion should view the Stormcloaks with at least some degree of empathy. On the other hand, I find it easy to justify a Stormcloak viewing Imperial soldiers as the faceless goons of tyranny, and being happy to slaughter them en masse.

I also feel like even a character whose allegiance lies with the Empire would escape with Ralof, rather than remain in the company of a faction which had put them in binds and attempted to execute them. It just makes sense, for survival's sake.

• 185 posts
    December 24, 2013 12:36 PM EST

I always follow Hadvar.

Because I can kill more of the rebel scun!

even if I side with Ralof by some reason I kill both stormcloaks inside the keep 

I killed ulfric again yesterday, I shouted him to pieces with the unrelenting force!

• January 1, 2014 3:41 AM EST

The first time I played, I went with Hadvar because I didn't realize I had options. Now I only choose Hadvar when I'm playing an Imperial supporter or an extremely lawful person who would want to explain himself. Otherwise I choose Ralof because he didn't try to cut my head off!