Forums » Elder Scrolls

Bethesda please... (regarding difficulty)

• 70 posts
    December 12, 2013 5:45 PM EST

How much would all of that cost roughly? I know it's the wrong place to ask but I've been considering saving for a better PC to run games on.

• 1483 posts
    December 12, 2013 5:50 PM EST

Today it may be quite viable. When I got it, it was around 1000 USD. But it was 5-6 years ago 

• 739 posts
    December 12, 2013 5:56 PM EST

I love master difficulty! It feels just right...

It fits perfectly with most of my characters. I get that nice sense of vulnerability at lower levels when my skills are shit, begins to feel comfortable by around level 25 and then I'm usually dominating by around 30+...

You don't get that on Adept, the second you buy an enchanted item from a merchant you can beast most things...

• 12 posts
    December 12, 2013 7:04 PM EST

When I decided to break one of my characters (Console user here, fortify restoration loop) I made myself a bow, a sword, more or less undetectable sneak (fortify sneak), always 90% chance to pickpocket, and insanely fast regen for magika. Then I set the difficulty to legendary. The point? I decided to have more or less no armor. This means, yes I could one-shot things but if I let my guard down I'm dead. If I don't notice that bandit chief 'round the corner I'm dead. I know not everybody will take this route but there IS a way to reasonably replicate the settings you named above. 

• 91 posts
    December 12, 2013 7:39 PM EST

Agree with this pretty much. Would be neat to have a realistic playthrough. However, I'm not sure I'd always want it as certain characters would be damn near impossible to play.

• 104 posts
    December 12, 2013 8:02 PM EST
    For some reason I play on Legendary from the beginning. Reminds me a bit of Morrowind and the Gothic series of PC games. Also keeps me from power leveling and using skills not associated with my character to level up quickly. Makes followers a necessity at lower levels which is nice because I never used them before.
    • 1 posts
    December 12, 2013 8:08 PM EST

i always play on adept  but for the challenge i go to master i believe legendary was made to make the feeling you get in late game master ten times better you know the feeling when you have the best weapon best armour godly enchants on both free spells and now those bandit chiefs that basicaly one shot you when you started gowhen they see you coming. ya that felling i imagine that its ten times better

• 162 posts
    December 13, 2013 5:13 AM EST

I use the Duel-Combat Realism mod (sorry console players) to make the fighting more challenging. This mod tweaks the way of fighting iso just alter the damage taken and/or done.

First of all, stamina plays an more important role. Power attacks and sprinting did already cost stamina, but blocking, though more efficient, will cost stamina. Beside that, getting staggered damage stamina also. Bottom line is that you'd to use your stamina wisely because when it runs out you've lost the advantage and can get in deep shit.

Secondly, NPC act more intelligent. They defend themself better, block more often, move more and even hide sometimes. Groups have better teamwork and try to flank or surround you.

Thirdly, this mod introduces something like initiative. When you've managed to drive an opponent in the defence, you can easily keep him/her in the block mode and you've a bigger change to stagger him/her. This way a fight can be over quickly. The good thing (or bad if you wish) is that this also works the other way arround. Loosing initiative is almost a certain loss against a equal or higher level opponent.

To the grief of my chars, I play on master with the hardcore version of Duel-Combat realism, which causes that they get beaten up regularly.

Below two little videos about Duel-Combat Realism (Older versions).

• 39 posts
    December 13, 2013 5:24 AM EST
    I agree, I like playing on adept for realism, the only time I play novice is when playing glass canons. I like master cos I like being challenged, but I also wanna play like how things would be like in real life. Imo its crazy how on master it takes you like 20 hits to kill a bandit chief, but they can kill you in 2-3 hits. Legendary is the biggest joke though
    • 39 posts
    December 13, 2013 7:10 AM EST

I'm sorry for my outburst. It's just that, whenever someone (i. e. me) says "I wish that Skyrim had (insert whatever here)," SOMEONE who plays on PC always comes along and simply states that "there's probably a mod for that." It just gets really annoying, and I had already been annoyed to the point of bursting...so, sorry about that.

• 39 posts
    December 14, 2013 4:13 AM EST
    Inever thought anyone else played like me before I saw your comment, finaly someone who appreciates some realism in combat :')
    • 104 posts
    December 14, 2013 4:23 AM EST
    How is it a joke?
    • 70 posts
    December 14, 2013 4:28 AM EST

I sometimes do that but not to the same extent. I use Alchemy to create super-powerful weapons but play on Master. This makes me a sort of glass-cannon because I have to rely on movement to survive rather than just being able to tank.

• 70 posts
    December 14, 2013 4:31 AM EST

Novice for glass cannons? Even with no armour, there are still only about 3 locations where it's possible to die on Novice. Part of being a glass cannon means having low defence if I recall correctly.

• 39 posts
    December 14, 2013 4:32 AM EST
    Well it's a joke because it takes out immersion and replaces it with a huge chunk of unrealisticness, in what world can you hit an enemy 20 times and not kill them,and they will hit you once and kill you instantly
    • 104 posts
    December 14, 2013 4:45 AM EST
    At low levels I agree. If you pick skills and perks right it is viable.

I like the fact that you can't walk into any given dungeon and slay any given enemy in the beginning.

Point: Had a DB assignment and eliminated the first two sentries. When I got inside I got my &$$ handed to me by the first bandit thug. Reload autosave. After more testing (ended up sneaking past about five bandits) I find my mark, who is guarded by two higher level bandits. Everything seems impossible until I decide to lure his two body guards away by standing up and drawing their attention. They come to investigate and I drop down (two story dwemer ruin) and silently slit their leaders neck before slinking out of their base.

Mission complete.
    • 39 posts
    December 14, 2013 4:51 AM EST
    Ok, probably adept for glass canons
    • 39 posts
    December 14, 2013 4:52 AM EST
    Good point, makes you be more careful and strategic
    • 104 posts
    December 14, 2013 5:03 AM EST
    That could work. :D Would have to be careful about keeping your skills and perks somewhat balanced to begin with. I'm only going to steel smithing but will be up in enchanting (he is a Dunmer assassin) by endgame.

May go to advanced for chitin...

Never used alchemy and don't plan on it. I want to be able to play fast (I only heal after combat typically) without interrupts (pulling up the favorites menu).

If favorites is pulled up I tend to keep it to my spell/weapon ( two hand a one hander and use a flame spell for Dunmer). So hit the flame spell to turn it off and be able to block.

Still working on the character but that is where he is at this time.