Forums » Elder Scrolls

Bethesda please... (regarding difficulty)

• 106 posts
    December 12, 2013 1:15 PM EST
    My biggest pet peeve in Skyrim, the difficulty. I'm sure you all know how it works, Novice you deal 2x damage and take half the damage. Adept you do 1x damage and you take 1x damage. And master you do half damage and take double damage. Legendary is just stupid because now you do .25 the damage and you take 3x the damage. If ONLY they had 2 sliders, 2 simple sliders. One said damage done, and one said damage taken. Novice is realistic because deer take 1-2 arrows while hunting, and bandits die in 1-4 sword hits. Although you start off as basically like a tank... I personally would set it so you do 2x damage but take either 2x or 3x the damage boosting immersion 100 fold. At least for me(:
    • 2 posts
    December 12, 2013 1:21 PM EST

Agreed. Would be especially nice for console players, who can't mod their game to adjust accordingly.

• 116 posts
    December 12, 2013 1:23 PM EST
    I play on adept for the equal damage output to damage taken. I agree with you anything higher just seems ridiculous to me. What I would rather see (and I may be asking for too much here) is realistic damage to where you make contact with the enemy. I hate putting an arrow through someone's face only to see they still have 2/3 their health left. A head shot should be an instant kill, this would also make melee fights more interesting as you wouldn't just run in hacking and slashing everywhere like a damn fool.
    • 106 posts
    December 12, 2013 1:26 PM EST
    Yeah I strongly dislike roleplaying a hunter and I have to use 10 arrows to take down a fox...
    • 116 posts
    December 12, 2013 1:36 PM EST
    I love playing as archers, especially in the first person that Bethesda has revolutionized for RPGs. But the fact that when I place three great shots into a bandit chief (face, collarbone, sternum) and he still reaches me and one hit kills me with his two handed axe (this actually happened to me on a low level) then that is what drives me nuts in this game. Makes me want to drop kick kittens down High Hrothgar.
    • 360 posts
    December 12, 2013 2:37 PM EST
    Agreed with this, the true way to play would be pumping your damage done and damage taken to the max and go from there, but there are some games that do have that level of imersive damage, like dark aouls for example, none of the bosses, save for the massive dragons, have a ton of life, but they can two shot you. I really like that and I wish skyrim did that
  • December 12, 2013 2:39 PM EST

There's a mod for it ^^

• 39 posts
    December 12, 2013 3:25 PM EST

Well, woopdie-fricken-doo,Mr. PC user! Say, would you mind buying all us console players a Brand-new Pc that can play all your fancy games? No? Then shut up about your stupid mods! Some of us dont have the ability to get a nice PC. Heck, I didn't even buy my xbox! It was a GIFT! So go away and don't mention mods again!

Now, on the topic of difficulty, I would like to have that option to adjust the damage of me vs. them seperately. would make it feel just alittle more real...also, would it be that hard to take the area detector from fallout and put it into skyrim? Please?

• 116 posts
    December 12, 2013 4:10 PM EST
    I recently lost my job (and wife) and had to sell my Xbox (which also was a gift) just to afford a plane ticket home. I haven't played Skyrim in about two months. Not all of us are blessed with the ability to buy top of the line PCs lol.
    • 271 posts
    December 12, 2013 4:15 PM EST
    I'm sorry to hear that. Hope everything turns out well for you.
    • 1913 posts
    December 12, 2013 4:19 PM EST
    Play on adept like a normal person... You do equal damage and they do equal damage... Nobody has an unfair modifier that makes no sense if you tried to think about it realistically.
    • 116 posts
    December 12, 2013 4:20 PM EST
    I appreciate it. I'll be good though nothing I can't overcome :)
    • 33 posts
    December 12, 2013 4:29 PM EST

I don't think that this thread states "this post is entirely exclusive to console users, so if you are a pc gamer, you can stick your opinion up your ass", so I don't know why you got butthurt over someone just mentioning modding in a sentence. If he went in mod details deeply, and would list every goddamn mod that even remotely changes difficutly, I would get it, but you are freaked out because you saw a 5 word sentence that contains the word "mod". I love this site, but I don't know why you people are so aggressive towards people who play on the PC. We don't act superior, we only share our opinions, that's all. Let's take for example, a guy that stumbles upon the site, and notices this thread. Let's say he actually is looking forward to a good difficulty-changing mod, so he asks Armathyx through a PM what mods would he/she recommend, thus making the comment useful. We are not going to go away with our stupid mods, you need to learn to not give a crap and carry on. I know I probably should've done the same, but you guys feel the need to reply in such a manner to every comment that ever mentions mods. I'm afraid the next step is gonna be a petition to remove the modder's workshop entirely, because it hurts your eyes and it's in the way. We know that we are the "minority" of this site, but that doesn't mean that we don't have the permission to mention mods. I really hope the amount of the word "mod" hasn't fried your brain by now  I guess I'll end this massive wall of text here.

• December 12, 2013 4:55 PM EST

I won't shut up about my "stupid" mods, because I'm damn well allowed to talk about them. This thread isn't exclusive to console users, neither is this website.

You can keep reacting like that all you want, cry me a river if you must, there won't be a taboo on mods for as long as I'm around.

• December 12, 2013 4:57 PM EST

Sorry to hear that, but it's still not a valid reason to banish suggesting mods from this website, in fact it's completely irrelevant.

Maybe some guy was reading this thread and didn't know such mods existed: I'll have done him a favor. If I point out the right direction I may be helping people or creating discussions. Regardless, it doesn't affect you in any way shape or form and I don't see why you'd try and be an obstacle to it.

• 1913 posts
    December 12, 2013 5:01 PM EST
    Lol... That was hilarious
    • 116 posts
    December 12, 2013 5:10 PM EST
    Armathyx I was simply agreeing with Seth. I'm about to get into a company that will pay very well (not that you care) I plan to buy a PC and I also plan to become a modder myself. I never said not to suggest mods I agreed to the fact that some prefer consoles or can't afford PCs sooo...you're arguing with the wrong person here bro ;)
    • 739 posts
    December 12, 2013 5:26 PM EST

Expert/Master feels like the best difficulty to me...

Both difficulties allow for use of the crafting skills without ending up one shotting an enemy. Legendary gets a little too crazy...

I do agree with Soneca's 'Dark Souls' suggestion, I did enjoy the difficulty and tactics that came with Demons Souls...

I'm not surprised the pc crowd have mentioned mods here. I wouldn't be surprised if they went into details about which mods worked the best either, seems like the perfect discussion for it to be honest. Not alot the consolers can do/talk about...

I don't get why Seth wet his diaper about it...

• 106 posts
    December 12, 2013 5:27 PM EST
    Hope all is well man
    • 106 posts
    December 12, 2013 5:30 PM EST
    So I'm a console player, but I'm seriously thinking of looking into whether or not I can run it on my PC. If I can with ease, then I'll buy it. Simple as that. I want live another life, frostfall, realistic needs and diseases, SkyRe and so much more haha
  • December 12, 2013 5:35 PM EST

When I got Skyrim I had an I7 processor (which I still have), 6GM ram, and a Nvidia GT9800 or something. It ran fine on medium, considering it was an old graphics card. It doesn't take a lot to run Skyrim unless you're playing on a laptop.

• 70 posts
    December 12, 2013 5:36 PM EST

Expert is more for if you're doing no crafting or only using one crafting skill in my opinion, and Master for if you're using two. I never use all three crafting skills. For example, a character at around level 30 with average stats for his level would be well suited to Expert. I agree with you about Legendary though, for me Legendary is mainly for higher level players who want to pick up more skills without losing the challenge, not just something you can do all the way from the start.

• 1483 posts
    December 12, 2013 5:39 PM EST

Mine is Core2Quad, 6GB RAM and GTS 250 with 512MB VRAM. Runs on high without mods, but when I add visual mods the shitty small VRAM gets filled quickly and ends with CTD.

• 490 posts
    December 12, 2013 5:39 PM EST

Master just feels good with a good challenge. I recently made character to try on Legendary difficulty and all I asked myself was "why the hell am I doing this?" It is silly, just makes it feel like everyone you are fighting is a hardened champion.

• 70 posts
    December 12, 2013 5:44 PM EST

Something else I dislike about the difficulty settings is the Armour Rating. The higher your Armour Rating is, the more protection you will gain from each extra point of Armour. This means that the difference between wearing cloth robes and wearing full plate mail is actually less than the difference between metal armour and slightly shinier metal armour. It seems wrong to me but I sort of understand what they were trying to do. It just could be a bit better thought out.