Forums » Elder Scrolls

Morrowind or Oblivion?

• 19 posts
    December 8, 2013 2:33 PM EST

Hey guys!

I've got some money left over and decided that it was time for me to buy another ES game.
    Now, here's the problem: I can't decide which one to buy; Morrowind or Oblivion.
    I already did some searching on the internet and I'm thinking about getting Morrowind first, but I'm not sure yet.
    So I was wondering if you guys could help me out, and tell me which one I should buy and why.
    Just some more information:
    - I play on PC
    - I'm not planning to use mods
    - They're both 'Game of the Year' edition so all DLC's/Expansions included
    - I don't care about the graphics

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out 

• 104 posts
    December 8, 2013 2:45 PM EST
    Can't go wrong. Oblivion is a lot more user friendly. Morrowind has my favorite story by far.

If you are getting it for PC and can update the gameplay mechanics and graphics... Morrowind hands down IMO.
    • 773 posts
    December 8, 2013 3:42 PM EST

It really depends if you are on PC.

I'd say that Morrowind would be pretty brutal to play umodded in this day and age, especially if you've only ever played Skyrim. But with mods you can really bring up to mark graphically, and then enjoy the wonderfully complex lore-based gameplay in the land of the Dunmer.

But if you are on console, then you're best off going for Oblivion, which is still a very good game in its own right.

• 51 posts
    December 8, 2013 4:06 PM EST

Haven't played enough Morrowind to have an opinion of it, though it's on my list.

• 19 posts
    December 9, 2013 2:04 PM EST

No problem!
    But can you tell me your opinion about Oblivion? All I've read were good things about Morrowind, but I haven't heard much about Oblivion (Please don't tell me the story, just the gameplay, if it is fun or not, etc).

• 17 posts
    December 11, 2013 4:25 AM EST

Oblivion's quests are IMO the best in the whole series, the guilds are way more fun than in Skyrim, and there are much more unique magic items. Plus the Shivering Isles are just freaking awesome.

• 39 posts
    December 11, 2013 4:42 PM EST

I have played both and i would say Morrowind first, just because,

1. it's awsome and has killer graphics, moreover storyline.

2. because it comes before Oblivion.

and 3. Because your never going to get another TES game this good( besides SkyRim.)

• 39 posts
    December 11, 2013 4:47 PM EST

It's kinda slow too be honest (SPOLIER ALERT!! :( ) sorry, but you start piss poor, and really can't do any thing untill well, your super rich...and most of the time you have to bribe people to go anywhere...another thing DON"T BE A VAMPIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 52 posts
    December 11, 2013 7:44 PM EST
    Gt oblivion and them wait to get SkyWind when that comes out.
    • 55 posts
    December 11, 2013 8:01 PM EST

I really recommend trying morrowind. Thats my favorite TES game. It can be hard at first, but just stick with it id say. Really excited about skywind though, looks fantastic.

• 106 posts
    December 12, 2013 1:12 AM EST

This is coming from someone who started with skyrim then played oblivion, get oblivion!! Its SO fun, honestly I feel comparing skyrim and oblivion is comparing apples and oranges, the quests are way more intuitive and fun and they make sense! Skyrim is one of my all time favorite games although some of the guilds are a little dry. I won't go into crazy detail between them, but for 5 bucks you get a damn good game(: