Forums » Elder Scrolls

Does Bethesda favor the Dark Brotherhood?

• 45 posts
    December 7, 2013 9:37 PM EST

In both Skyrim and Oblivion, the Dark Brotherhood questlines have, in my opinion, blown any other questline out of the water. Do you think that Bethesda holds the Dark Brotherhood to a higher standard than other factions? I would like to hear everyone's opinion about this.

• 5 posts
    December 7, 2013 10:09 PM EST
    Honestly, the dark brotherhood was really great and the most prioritized questline. It had the best twists throughout and everything, but the questline I REALLY loved was the College of Winterhold. How you simply go to the college to learn and end up as The Chosen One by the Psijic Order was so fun for me, and the whole junk happening at Labyrinthian was awesome! Basically, not every playstyle fits the Dark Brotherhood so they just come up to destroy it. Which reminds me, ONLY the dark brotherhood has an alternate option. Yep, Bethesda sure loves them DB.
    • 185 posts
    December 7, 2013 10:11 PM EST
    In both games the questline ended in a tragic way...
    and the questline for the dark brotherhood is better because what can be better than a bunch of assassins who worship the void and get the contacts of a body of a woman who died long ago
    • 1913 posts
    December 7, 2013 10:14 PM EST
    Yes... They love it so much... They made it the only faction that can be destroyed...
    • 91 posts
    December 7, 2013 10:16 PM EST

It does come across as Bethesda favoring the DB. This could be due to the insane popularity of assassins in recent years, or maybe just the fact that people like really dark material. Either way though I think many other quests have their charms. The fighters guild in Oblivion was really good and as Ni'jami said the College of Winterhold is probably one of the best quest lines in Skyrim. Thieves guild also has its moments (if not also its plot holes XD).

• 45 posts
    December 7, 2013 10:25 PM EST

Good point. However, there has to be a moral choice for the player, lust like in the civil war.

• 45 posts
    December 7, 2013 10:59 PM EST

I played as one of those "Hero" types once. I quit playing that character shortly after I killed Astrid. The game just seemed so empty after the door which led to the Dark Brotherhood was closed.

• 194 posts
    December 7, 2013 11:15 PM EST

I agree. Assassins are interesting. Hood and caps are cool. Stuff like that. But I actually thought the Thieves Guild was more fleshed out than all the others. Both College and Companions were incredibly quick. I felt like a part of the Thieves Guild more than any other.

• 45 posts
    December 7, 2013 11:24 PM EST

I certainly liked how the Thieves Guild grows with the progress of the story. It is also the largest faction by the end of it.

• 194 posts
    December 7, 2013 11:31 PM EST

The population was a huge part. I felt really bad for the Dark Brotherhood, but speaking of them why did they just call the new people initiates. The Thieves Guild initiates had names and backstories. And NPC-NPC dialogue is huge. I love eavesdropping on Delvin hitting on Vex and the bartender's relationship with Tonilia.

Then again, Cicero provides enough dialogue for everybody in the brotherhood. :)

• 5 posts
    December 7, 2013 11:42 PM EST
    Actually, yeah! The Thieves' Guild were really awesome. Chasing the leader that betrayed you after making an oath with the most gorgeous daedric prince (in my opinion) is fun. It was one of the longest faction questline and it was worth it. I also agree with the fact that College of Winterhold is quick, but the dungeons that related to it were so depth and well-made. And something I noticed with all the factions - the reason that it chains up and you don't get a break is because, for example, when you go out to kill the glenmoril witches and come back, the silver hand attacked! If they didn't, then the leader wouldn't have died and the circle wouldn't have stormed in the base of the silver hand, making the questline shorter. also, Bards' College? I never tried it at all though I'm planning to as I'm playing Zach's Songbird.
    • 45 posts
    December 7, 2013 11:46 PM EST

I also think that it's noteworthy that Babette survives regardless of your choice to join or destroy the Brotherhood. Maybe there is hope for the Dark Brotherhood to be revived.

• 708 posts
    December 8, 2013 12:04 AM EST

Pretty sure it's just because mass media and classification boards would get mad at them for killing children.

• 91 posts
    December 8, 2013 4:21 AM EST

Cicero also is not present when you kill the DB nor is the Night Mother. Fact is I doubt that Skyrim was the end of the Brotherhood. Maybe the end of the Skyrim chapter, but something tells me that we'll see them again in the Elder Scrolls 6. :3

• 104 posts
    December 8, 2013 5:41 AM EST
    Same here.
    • 104 posts
    December 8, 2013 5:43 AM EST
    Drinking buds.
    • 70 posts
    December 8, 2013 5:53 AM EST

I don't think the Brotherhood questline was that great actually. Some of the missions are sort of fun but they're mostly set in dungeons or locations you can go to without joining the Brotherhood. You kill a lot of innocent people which could be good for RP if you want to play a "pure evil" character, but I normally play as good or neutral characters so I either avoid or destroy the Brotherhood.

Like a lot of people have already said, I think the Thieves Guild is the most thought out faction and has the best storyline. I've completed it twice and both times it felt awesome chasing down Mercer in the Dwarven ruin, then duelling him on top of the big statue. The thing with becoming a Nightingale is also pretty cool, and the armour looks amazing.

• December 8, 2013 6:06 AM EST

True it's not long enough. You'd expect the "apprentice" part to last longer, with Tolfdir teaching you and the rest of the group about magic.

Then there's that part about the Archmage asking you to do some research... when I did it the first time, I had no idea to what extent this game was realistic, so I thought I would have to read a bunch of books and do some actual research, do some guesswork and find out what has to be done. Fact is, they do everything for you. You never have to read any books, they just point you in the right direction and you do the whole thing in braindead mode.

• 70 posts
    December 8, 2013 6:48 AM EST

I know what you mean about the Brotherhood armour, it doesn't look anywhere near as good as the Nightingale armour, and the enchantments aren't great for an assassin either. I like the Brotherhood robes though, but they have even worse enchantments...

Joining the Brotherhood as a neutral character could make an interesting roleplay, as you would have to decide which contracts to go along with. However I think that overall it suits evil or indifferent characters the best because of the nature of some of the killings. Others like Alain Dufont and the one in the Dwarven Ruin aren't as bad because the people have actually done something wrong. It kind of ruins the feel of being a "professional assassin" if you're just killing beggars and civilians.

• 1483 posts
    December 8, 2013 8:57 AM EST

Thieves Guild and College of Winterhold top DB questline for me. Every Dark Brotherhood member seemed like a bloodthirsty cutthroat with no professionalism and focus of an assassin (except Veezara, he was the only one I didn't want to kill in numerous times I destroyed the faction). Their random attacks are annoying at best ("Never should've come here!" and rushes at you - typical assassin). The questline involves killing a bunch of people just for the sake of it. Cicero is crazy and annoying. You can stand in full DB armor and a chef's hat and cook a poisoned meal for an emperor. The unique rewards are: Shadowmere (rendered obsolete with Arvak for me), Summon Spectral Assassin (is a power but casts like a regular Conjuration spell and can be replaced with those, more powerful ones, which are not limited to daily use), a ton of gold (can be obtained easily in two-three potions), shitty enchanted weapons (Blade of Woe can be obtained without joining them)... The only things I miss out are the access to Dawnstar Sanctuary and master trainers in Alchemy (not very useful with roe potions) and Light Armor (this one is quite useful). 

• 856 posts
    December 8, 2013 9:57 AM EST

"Hero" is the primary way I play, but I didn't destroy the dark brotherhood with a 'hero' type - you have a strange definition of 'hero' if that includes murdering old ladies in cold blood. 

I've only destroyed the Dark Brotherhood once. I've also only completed the Dark Brotherhood quest-line once.

• 1483 posts
    December 8, 2013 10:27 AM EST

No, there are no real reasons to join you... Only if you enjoy murdering in cold blood... 

• 69 posts
    December 19, 2013 2:00 AM EST

I actually thought that the dark brotherhood quest line was really fun… until i actually thought about it. Its sick- I mean, Having a child praying over a dead corpse to another dead corpse…. A Necrophiliac Jester (who i would enjoy if the Necrophilia was not present)…… 

I also found it really hard to role-play on one of my previous assassin characters that was loyal to the empire. Thieves guild> Mages guild> Companions> Bards college> Dark brotherhood.