person I think oblivion

1 no raging

2 have good reasons

3 not by graphics

4 or leveling system

5 play both

• 700 posts
    November 28, 2013 5:35 PM EST

You didn't follow your own rule #2.  What are your reasons? 

And why not by the leveling system or graphics?  Those are legitimate factors that can contribute to a person's enjoyment of a game.  

• 4 posts
    November 28, 2013 5:37 PM EST

:/ forget to edit xD

• 622 posts
    November 28, 2013 6:33 PM EST
    I don't understand any of this.

1. Define raging? I have raged at both games, whether its from a bandit chief getting a kilmove on me in Skyrim or if I suddenly find myself surrounded by Daedra with no health potions in Oblivion.

2. Not a reason.

3. Oblivion's graphics were good for its time. You can't compare the two. It's like comparing am early CGI film with one if today -- Of course one is going to look better.

4.I enjoyed the attributes and skills in Oblivion, as well being forced to sleep. But then again, I do like the sudden restore everything move in Skyrim.

5. Not a rule, but I do. Actually, I play all but on TES game regularly
    • 700 posts
    November 28, 2013 7:50 PM EST

I think what he meant was

1. No flame wars in the comments
    2. Be able to support your choice with good arguments 
    3. Graphics can't be used as an argument
    4. The respective leveling systems can't be used as arguments
    5. You have to have played both games to participate in the discussion

That's my best guess. 

• November 28, 2013 7:58 PM EST

I like oblivion better. It was more immersive. There were things in skyrim that were left out that reminded me it was a game, like not being able to kill a fish while in the water. Oblivion could do that.

• November 28, 2013 8:19 PM EST
    Why can't we use the leveling system as a reason?
    • 622 posts
    November 28, 2013 9:36 PM EST

Oh, I get it now, ha.

• 75 posts
    November 28, 2013 9:55 PM EST

I haven't play Oblivion, YET! I have it sitting in my Steam Library, waiting to be installed, along with Morrowind. But this makes no sense to me.

• 700 posts
    November 29, 2013 12:04 AM EST
    I Played Oblivion For A Few Hours A Few Years Ago And Got Bored. I Do Want To Revisit It Eventually.
    • 194 posts
    November 29, 2013 5:43 AM EST

I was one of the unfortunate many who discovered Skyrim, and then had to backtrack to Oblivion and I could not get into it. I really want to try Morrowind, but I fear the same thing will hold true. Obviously, the combat mechanics have gotten more and more fleshed out over the years and the further back you go the more and more you feel like you're swinging foam swords at a larp event instead of landing heavy, or not so heavy blows, with dynamic results.

That said, I wouldn't mind getting a PC and the new Anthology set. But Skyrim is where it's at and is, in my opinion, the best game out there for vanilla content, moddability (even compared to Half Life), and all you lore nerds. SO much lore.

• 194 posts
    November 29, 2013 5:44 AM EST

Did they take that out? I know Slaughterfish are still killable, not sure if salmon can. BUT, you can shout at a butterfly and its wings will fall to the ground. C'mon man!

• 622 posts
    November 29, 2013 6:06 AM EST

I had to backtrack to Oblivion but I love it all the same. Skyrim does have better graphics and a more simplified leveling system, but that's it's charm. The first time I tried playing it didn't go down too well though :P

• 61 posts
    November 29, 2013 11:33 AM EST

I'm actually replaying Oblivion as we speak so I should have some good reasons later on. Right of the bat I think I prefer Skyrim, just because the AIs were a bit cleverer and the animations (Not the graphics) looked a bit more fluid. I liked the way casting spells was done in Skyrim as well, I felt more immersed to see the spell being controlled in my hand, but in Oblivion I could have a sword, shield AND a spell to use seemlessly in combat. As I said, I'll probably be back later with better reasons .

• C2
    • 8 posts
    November 30, 2013 6:59 PM EST

Honestly, it's difficult to compare the two. Oblivion is a deep, involved game with interesting quests, dialogue, and a very colorful and rich environment. As far as games go, I'd have to go with Oblivion. However, when you're talking about Elder Scrolls, it's important to note that they're not just a game. It's about the world.

Skyrim is a huge, interactive game world. I could never get myself lost exploring the Cyrodillic plains like I can the frozen tundra of Skyrim. The world is full of wildlife. There's cooking and garden growing. You can have a family. The two are very different experiences.

• 194 posts
    November 30, 2013 10:22 PM EST

Speaking about how each game is intertwined into a single world/timeline, I really want to see modders make Skyblivion and Skywind really playable. And if you did Daggerfall in Skyrim it would be SKYFALL! Funny coincidence. Modding is amazing.

• 118 posts
    November 30, 2013 10:29 PM EST
    The leveling system is the #1 reason for why I prefer the one I do so I guess I can't state which one it is. I will say, however, that I think Oblivion's graphics still hold up even today.