Forums » Elder Scrolls

Civil War Analysis and My Ultimate Decision

• 12 posts
    November 18, 2013 10:33 PM EST

Hey guys! Saryn here with another thrilling installment of "Shit I have to do for a class!" 

I kid, I actually enjoy doing this. 

This time around, I was asked to make a blogger page about the argument I was to analyze and put a link to it here, and to get your opinions on the blogger page. 

Please check it out: http://skyrimcivilwar.blogspot.com/

You can either comment on the blogger page itself or, once you have read my arguments, respond with your thoughts on this discussion page. 

I hope you enjoy my blogger page!
    Thanks for checking it out. 

-Saryn

• 1595 posts
    November 18, 2013 11:56 PM EST

That's a nice essay there dude.

• 69 posts
    November 19, 2013 12:28 AM EST
    Nice conclusion and ending picture as well. With my favourite race being dunmer as well, I almost completely agree with you. I am just not sure how the thalmor would treat the dark elves if they one the war.
  • November 19, 2013 12:31 AM EST

I like the final pic kind of makes me want to be a Dunmer

• 69 posts
    November 19, 2013 12:45 AM EST
    Yes, one you go gray, you never turn away ;)
    • 966 posts
    November 19, 2013 12:09 PM EST

Just make sure he's Colovian.

• 1483 posts
    November 19, 2013 12:21 PM EST

Your overall presentation is more leaning towards the Imperials but you clarify that you dislike Stormcloaks much more and my impression was a completely non-biased article, which is further reinforced with the conclusion. The only thing I disagree with is your statement about Skyrim Blog being defined by the personas that members take. I see the site more as a social networking site and only then as a place to share characters and RP. 

• 1595 posts
    November 19, 2013 1:13 PM EST

I like how you mentioned the Empire's fondness for capital punishment. It's something that gets overlooked, what with racism seeming to be a bigger moral issue. Never mind the Imperial way of keeping order, Ulfirc hates dark elves; hang him!

• 661 posts
    November 19, 2013 1:59 PM EST

I was tryna find a link to what you had. I didnt realize that you had it cut off into a sections. When I have time I'll give it a read.

• 1483 posts
    November 19, 2013 4:05 PM EST

Hmm, who else? Tae-Rai maybe? I don't think there are a lot of people like that here (if you don't think Bryn is quite like in-game Brynjolf) 

• 1483 posts
    November 19, 2013 4:19 PM EST

Certainly! 

• 966 posts
    November 20, 2013 4:51 PM EST

I assume every Empire or Kingdom in the ES universe would have the same sort of punishment. It's been that way on Earth with every country ever until very recently.

• 966 posts
    November 20, 2013 6:59 PM EST

Or just do what many European nations do: Keep them in prison for a few years, school them and make them decent members of society. It works extremely well too.

• November 20, 2013 7:04 PM EST
    Pfft, we here in America don't care about results, we just care about blood!
    • 69 posts
    November 21, 2013 1:14 AM EST

No problem there, brother elf!

• 1595 posts
    November 21, 2013 1:29 PM EST

It's dangerous to assume anything in TES universe. Maybe Skyrim's Nords don't execute criminals. That would explain all the bandits

• 29 posts
    December 3, 2013 12:40 PM EST

I just came across this can't believe I missed it Sorry...  I guess I am still undecided I know, I know there is so much written about it, but I honestly think it is just like in life...  All the sides have good and bad...  It isn't black or white, it is what your character believes.  Or what you believe...  No one in a position of authority in this game seems to be a true Noble, they all have a "dirty" side it seems...  Once when I was playing a group of Thalmor agents attacked me had a note with mine name on it...  I was level 10 at the time hadn't joined any fraction yet...  Playing as a Bosmer...  No, a lot of comments I read are how unfair Ulfric is, but really which side isn't, including the AD.  

I don't like to take sides...  My favorite race is a Bosmer, I know from reading it appears they sided with the AD, but I really can't stomach that fraction.  I wonder what their plans are after they defeat the imperials...  A lot of talk to is stated that Skyrim couldn't hold back the AD without the Imperials, but I read that the Redguard did it on their own, so if they could, why not the Nords or Skyrim?  

Well, I wish I would have caught this sooner.  It was a great article.  

• 91 posts
    December 3, 2013 1:01 PM EST

Well actually the Bosmer didn't side with the Aldmeri Dominion, well at least not willingly. The province of Valenwood was forcefully absorbed into the Dominion during or before the war. I'd guess most Bosmer actually wouldn't like the Dominion all that much with some even outright hating it.

That being said this article is pretty good. I personally prefer the Stormcloaks to the Empire mostly because they tend to stand for more of the things I do. Freedom of religion, an attitude that basically says "If you leave me alone to do what I want in my home I'll leave you alone to do what you want in your home", a sense of pride in everything they do despite what others think, etc.

The Stormcloaks may be racist, but not racist to the point that they're burning people in the streets or committing mass genocide. Sure they don't like being around elves, but they don't seem to have much problem with them if they stay to themselves and out of Nord business. And honestly after all the things that elves have done (particularly the Dunmer) during the history of Tamriel I'd probably hate them too. :P

• 194 posts
    December 3, 2013 4:16 PM EST

Maybe beating a dead horse (in a positive way) but that was a great blog. Thorough and with good quotes/sources.

• 10 posts
    December 25, 2013 2:17 PM EST

Also, a sense of honor unlike the Imperials who literally took 4 years to sign the same demands they were given. Ulfric was at least bent on hoping at least the Imperials get something fair, but instead they decided that bending over so they get to rule their little empire is worth more than their dignity. Sure they may be honorable (17th British ideals of honor aka fighting to the death because they dare to disrespect you, not honorable as in being nice to people) to a fault but this puts them in straight contrast with the Imperials who seem to weasel out of every problem at the first clear chance.