Forums » The Lounge

The Best Atronach?

• 739 posts
    November 11, 2013 8:10 PM EST

So here's something I don't think anyones actually discussed before, which is the best atronach in Skyrim?

Dremora Lords are NOT atronachs before some smart ass butts in...

We're talking about the classic fire/frost/storm dudes!

I'm going to write my own brief review on these beauties here actually...

The Flame Atronach

This one is priceless during the early levels of play! I'm sure many people have had one spawn as a random encounter near Riverwood on the multiude of playthroughs we've all done, they really can cause some serious pain when up close, not good for a level 3 character on master difficulty.

Flame Atronachs are the most pro-active atronach you can summon. They melt low level draugr very quickly and are surprisingly accurate with missile fire...

The Frost Atronach

This hunk of ice gets my vote as being the best summon! They just sit on top of enemies like big dozy giants, sapping stamina rapidly and staggering with their attacks...

Unlike the fire and storm varieties, the frost atronach runs in on enemies (these thing are fast) rather than staying at range and its huge size makes it easy to seperate you from the enemy. They don't actually do alot of damage but they give you a free pass to flank an enemy and do your own damage. They're immune to a dragons frost breath and 'Frost Dragons' can be a deadly encounter for mid level players. They're also immune to Necromancers who favour ice attacks above all others. Necromancers are forced to attack your frost atronach with a pathetic iron dagger!!

If you need to run away from combat the frost atronach is also the ultimate road block!

The Storm Atronach

These guys should be the best but their AI causes them to constantly back off from enemies as they try to land their ranged lightning attacks. Storm Atronachs bypass nearly all enemy resistances, very few enemies in the game have lightning resistance and this makes them great against dragons. Once that dragon lands however the Storm Atronach will usually back off and let you take all the damage...

Considering that Dremora Lords are available at the same time as stormies, they're not looking good as best pick...

Any thoughts?

• 490 posts
    November 11, 2013 8:14 PM EST

I have always loved the Frost Atronach. Big, hulking ice guardian with a stun and AoE attack. Having 2 of them on a summoner is almost unfair.

• 622 posts
    November 11, 2013 8:16 PM EST
    Do the ash guarduans count? :P

I love my Flame atronachs, so beaitiful yet so deadly