Forums » The Lounge

Member Spotlight: RuneRed

• 17 posts
    November 5, 2013 8:53 AM EST

I have the distinct pleasure of introducing RuneRed for our next Member Spotlight! 

The Person

RuneRed lives in the great state of North Carolina. He is simply not a person to trifle with, physically or intellectually. Here's why:

My favorite 'hobby' and my main physical exercise is 'Shaolin Kung Fu'. I currently attend class 3 to 4 hours a week, although I hope to add an hour soon - if I can switch my schedule around a bit. I also practice (nearly) daily at home.

I am fairly strong at math (but a bit rusty now) and sciences (especially the physical sciences). I have two BS degrees. My most recent career was teaching - Astronomy, Earth Science, Physics. Before that I worked as a land surveyor for a number of years.

I also am partial to red-heads  (as many members know by now). I am happily married - nearly 24 years now - and yes she is a red-head. We have a teen-aged daughter; whom I am currently home-schooling.

History with The SkyrimBlog

RuneRed is one of the original members of The Skyrim Blog. Never satisfied with sitting on the sidelines, he has always eagerly jumped into the fray, providing support, encouragement, and useful information to the blog members. Although not currently serving as a host, RuneRed still provides a much-needed voice. Here's what he has to say:

I I found the (old) blog back in late spring of 2011. I had been looking for information on the next ES game, and I kept finding Paul's site - and it had the most useful information. So I bookmarked it, and joined. Back then there was only a few members with Paul doing nearly all of the work, so I felt participation was necessary - Paul wanted 'feedback', and since I enjoyed what he was doing and I wanted it to continue, so I joined up and started commenting.

Gaming, Blogging, and Role-Playing

RuneRed has authored numerous articles and humorous blog stories. Many people are familiar with his Green Pact Alchemy article, which provides useful alchemical recipes for serious Bosmer role-players. In keeping with his love for the Skyrim experience, he has authored Adventuring Tips to help others improve their survivability. I encourage each of you to check out his page where you can find much more. This is what RuneRed had to say about gaming:

I role-play a lot. My favorite play-style has to be some type of warrior, although I've tried about everything I can think of. I enjoy other styles too, but I keep coming back to someone with a weapon in their hands.

I used to read the blogs, but my free time isn't what it used to be. I still will read the occasional story though.  Piper Jo's stories used to be my favorite, but I think there are a lot of good writers here.

In addition to Elder Scrolls, I enjoy the Fallout games. I also enjoy chess and card games (especially poker). I learned to play poker at 5 from my grandfather. Chess came later, around my early teens. I'm rated slightly over 2000 USCF.

There you have it fellow bloggers. Join me in congratulating RuneRed!

• 1483 posts
    November 5, 2013 9:00 AM EST

Congrats Rune! Your blog posts are great to read and your insight on any issue is always interesting and thorough. You are one of the immovable pillars of this site!