Forums » General Gaming

Dwemer Disappearance Theories

• 6 posts
    November 2, 2013 9:54 PM EDT

The Dwemer (also referred to as the "Deep-Elves", "Deep Folk", "Deep Ones", or the "People of the Deep") were an ancient, "Lost Race" of Mer who were remnants of the early Aldmer, and lived primarily in the region of Dwemereth.

Mer used the term "Dwemer", whose meaning was roughly translated to "people of the deep". The term also connoted to "deep-delving," "profound," and "close-counseled". However, they were commonly referred as "Dwarves" by men, and the name is rumored to have been derived from a supposed encounter with giants in the Velothi Mountains (although in general, this is a nod to the Dwarves of German and Scandinavian folklore), presumably during the late Merethic Era.

The Dwemer were an advanced race and civilization, and were far ahead of other races and civilizations in terms of government, society, technology, architecture, stonework and city-planning. They were well known for their revolutionary developments and achievements in technology, engineering, crafting methods, metalwork, stonework, architecture and city-planning, science, mathematics and magic, as well as their skills in engineering, crafting, metalwork, stonework, city-planning and the academic arts (science, mathematics and magic).

Theory-

Many have made theories to why and how the Dwemer or ,"Dwarves" as the incorrect use of their name, suddenly disappeared. But after so much was left by them and their work still working to this day many believe they simply went home. But their home was here, in Tamriel. However, after year's of researching their race I and my fellow wizard Calcelmo have come to one conclusion. 

They cannot be somewhere, for they do not exist.

Atleast not anymore, the Dwemer were notorious for their highly advanced craftwork and machinery. Therefore placing them for beyond men and mer. Even inventing technology to rival the God's themselves. And that's where it ended, they were dwelling into magic and machinery far beyond what was allowed to exist on Nirn. To have such technology and understanding without having anyone to rival them the Dwemer got overconfident, maybe even ambitious. So, the fact that all this lead's to one simple explanation.

The God's.

How can they watch as the Dwemer or "Dwarves" make equipment and magic that wasn't allowed to the other races of Nirn. To let one race go far beyond other's to where it could rival their own power. This could not and simply would not be allowed. And that concludes my theory as to the Disappearance of the Dwemer race. If you would like to state your own theories it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time great people.

~Rodard Gestor, Master Wizard and Scholar

• 1595 posts
    November 3, 2013 1:06 AM EST

Wherever they are, I bet they now regret messing with the heart of a god.

• 111 posts
    November 3, 2013 3:20 AM EST

We know that there were a race of beings who were greatly skilled in the forging of metals for more than armour and weapons. Well apart from their advanced technological ability the Dwemer also seemed to be tied to their cities, and have little interaction with races who lived on the surface of Tamriel but no such contact with residents of Cyrodiil. Dwemer constructs like Spheres and Centurions are not found outside their cities. Therefore it is reasonable to deduce that they are dependent on the mechanical steam or lava powered environment that still exists within Dwemer ruins and appears to be largely self sustaining

As to what happened to these people all that is left is speculation. As they were fond of using tools and seemed to ignore the "Divines" perhaps they tried to build something that backfired on them. But whatever it was they tried to build how could it have removed them all at once? Certainly they used magic which we understand is granted by the gods, unless  they found some mechanical way to graft souls into soul gems to power their constructs. 

It seems reasonable to postulate that their "tinkering" with natural forces and mechanics led them to attempt to construct something which destroyed them. Evidence of their tampering with Elder Scrolls exists. As even the gods fear to mess with such things it is possible that such interference resulted in a mass consequence linked to DNA. Maybe at some point in the future the entire race will re-appear, blinking in the sunlight or wearing shades? 

• 40 posts
    November 3, 2013 10:32 AM EST

If their disappearance was, indeed, linked to tampering with the Elder Scrolls, then they may very well reappear at some point in time. It happened with Alduin, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to believe that it might have happened with the Dwemer.

• November 3, 2013 11:24 AM EST

the heart is a soul gem?

• November 3, 2013 3:31 PM EST

"The Dwemer are not gone. They are just invisible and very, very quiet."

- M'aiq the Liar

• 6 posts
    November 3, 2013 5:07 PM EST

As if us Scholar's are going to take the word and base our research off a lying cat.

• 111 posts
    November 3, 2013 6:54 PM EST

Maybe they were driven out by the noise of all that machinery? If you examine the entrances to Dwemer buildings would that be indicative of their physical attributes? Perhaps pursuing Dunmer histories may reveal some hitherto unknown details about their physical characteristics. It was the dark elves that occupied Vvardenfell and Red Mountain the rumoured original central dwelling place of the Dwemer 

• November 3, 2013 7:55 PM EST

"M'aiq knows many things, no?"

- M'aiq the Liar

• 6 posts
    November 3, 2013 10:01 PM EST

Possibly, but many think that the Dwemer could have been directly or indirectly involved with the explosion of Red Mountain. But no one can know for sure what happen to their race. Yes their are many theories and even the last Dwemer alive dosen't know what happened to his race. Therefore it was not the Dwemer who made themselves disappear or extinct. Or maybe it was, whatever the reason something happen to extinct their whole race BUT one. And there has to be a reason for that. But whatever it is it isn't for us mortal's to question why.

• 856 posts
    November 3, 2013 10:07 PM EST

I've had two hypotheses on this. One, they are gone for good (an ascension type of thing). And two, they propelled themselves forward in time. Now this would be an interesting Elder Scroll Title: ES 7: Return of the Dwemer

• 111 posts
    November 3, 2013 11:33 PM EST

Interesting that the 2nd eruption of Red Mountain  in 4E has also been linked to the destruction levied upon Winterhold a few years later. Local superstition still points the finger at Dark Elf Mages who pretty much ran the College of Winterhold and were very secretive about their experiments and research!

Not being linked to the Gods I can only try  and provide an explanation, based on what we know from the scant and somewhat unreliable (and often unconfirmed) evidence available. If we know one thing about writtten histories in Tamriel, it is that the truth largely depends upon the point of view of the author of the text. Skyrim versions of events differ greatly from their Cyrodiilic counterparts which tend to be a little more cosmopolitan in outlook. In Skyrim the Nords are by default highly prejudiced against Dunmer and therefore their histories would reflect that

Odd that few Dwemer texts and records have been discovered. Surely such technological geniuses would have documented their work to avoid duplication of effort. How did their research progress without points of reference? Unless they had a sort of hive mind some sort of library must have existed. So what happened to it? Is it yet to be discovered?

We need some Nordic Archaeologists 

• 111 posts
    November 3, 2013 11:40 PM EST

Sounds good - now if only we knew the subject matter of TESVI.  

• 118 posts
    November 4, 2013 1:07 AM EST
    I've always been torn, part of me desperately wants to know what happened but part of me hopes they never answer the question...some mysteries are better left alone.
    • 6 posts
    November 4, 2013 9:53 AM EST

I agree with James, however to answer your question Tony. If infact they did have some sort of main library or written text it would only be formal if they took it with them (If infact they did disappear) or their work was destroyed (If they were killed off). Either way im sure there would be nothing left of it to be able to read or for us to find out anything useful. By now we would have found evidence of any of it, because their knowledge is what caused all this mystery so im sure the first thing that would disappear is the thing that caused all this in the first place. So im not surprised their knowledge is gone along with them.

• November 4, 2013 11:58 AM EST
    The way I see it, the Dwemer were "uncreated," like they returned to the Wheel. I read an excerpt in the Imperial Library, but I can't seem to find it! It spoke about this same subject. Nevertheless, I think they were uncreated. Also, I can't say that all the Dwemer knew and wanted this to happen. This was all the work of Kagrenac. Kagrenac (and whoever else was involved) wanted to create (or revive) a god of their own (Brass Tower) using the heart of Lorkhan and the tools. Now, clearly the Dwemer knew that souls/life force are otherworldly (Aetherial, so to speak) due to the use of cores and soul gems to power their automatons, so the same concept was used for the Brass Tower, using the collective souls of the Dwemer. Kagrenac could not share this with others because this would've probably been very frowned upon (is said that the King of the Dwemer would've fought with the Chimer cause had he known what Kagrenac was doing). I feel that Kagrenac was just about done with the project when the Chimer attacked, so out of panic, he hit it. Because of this telepathic connection the Dwemer have to each other, they all disappeared together (this is known, Yagrum Bagarn). So, all in all, I don't think they were destroyed not were they turned into Et'ada, but rather restored to the Wheel as a collective soul. I don't know if I helped or anything lol but just sharing! I love the Dwemer! Engineering is huge for me and I respect their mental prowess shown in Elder Scroll history. I do disapprove of Kagrenac's tampering with God powers, but the whole race shouldn't have paid for it.
    • 856 posts
    November 4, 2013 12:07 PM EST

Aye, I think our resident lore-master Vix had mentioned something about this (and what I was alluding to above).

If anyone is interested Vix wrote a three part article on the Dwemer: Link to Details of the Dwemer, Part 1.

• 856 posts
    November 4, 2013 12:08 PM EST

How about this idea? Keep in mind I wrote it (9 days) before the release of ES5.

• November 4, 2013 12:10 PM EST
    I think read this too! I read these things a while back and cannot give correct credit! So sorry thanks for the link Rune and Vix is a genius!
    • 6 posts
    November 4, 2013 12:58 PM EST

Aye thanks for all the post. But i think that about concludes the Dwemer topic for now. I will post more of my research and theories when i get around to it if anyone cares to read and reply as you all did on this one. Message me with any topic's you would want me to go over or if you have any questions. Thank you ladies and gentlemen