Forums » Elder Scrolls

Tamriel Conquest: Geography and Strategy

• 1483 posts
    October 25, 2013 10:46 AM EDT

Let us suppose that Dominion attempts to invade the mainland of Tamriel again. What will their strategy be, considering geographical and strategic nuances of the land and the experience of the Great War?

Looking on this map, I don't think the Dominion will even bother with Skyrim and Hammerfell? It has clear access to both Cyrodiil (naval and land) and High Rock (naval) and considering Altmeri tendency of plotting I think they will instigate a conflict between Nords and Redguards and focus on the Cyrodiil and High Rock themselves.

• 966 posts
    October 25, 2013 10:50 AM EDT

They'd go for Cyrodiil first and then focus on High Rock, I don't know what the Redguards would do though, they might not really like the Empire anymore, but they would probably realise it would be their own demise to let the Elves get Cyrodiil and High Rock.

They would probably try to take the coast of Hammerfell at some point, but I think they learned from their previous mistake of going into the desert.

• 1483 posts
    October 25, 2013 10:55 AM EDT

Just a thought, if Stormcloaks win the Civil War they basically give High Rock to the Dominion. Empire won't be able to get it's legions neither through Hammerfell nor through Skyrim. 

There are already seeds for the conflict between Skyrim and Hammerfell - Skaven incident 

• 490 posts
    October 25, 2013 10:57 AM EDT

Ha! Ya beat me to it

• Kuz
    • 18 posts
    October 25, 2013 10:57 AM EDT

Total War: Tamriel 

• Kuz
    • 18 posts
    October 25, 2013 11:00 AM EDT

Skaven incident? whats that?

• 966 posts
    October 25, 2013 11:00 AM EDT

I helped some people create such a mod. It was abandoned because the guy who led the project didn't have the time or motivation anymore.

• Kuz
    • 18 posts
    October 25, 2013 11:02 AM EDT

that mod would have been epic

• 966 posts
    October 25, 2013 11:03 AM EDT

Redguards would destroy the Nords utterly now that they aren't as divided.

I think the Redguards would allow the Empire to reinforce High Rock. The Dominion controlling High Rock would weaken their own position.

• 1483 posts
    October 25, 2013 11:03 AM EDT

Thalmor victory at the city of Skaven when they conquered the city. Nord armies were sitting out that time. Check Vix's Great War article and Lu-ah's Journal

• 966 posts
    October 25, 2013 11:04 AM EDT

It would've been. I still have the initial unit roster...

the Empire:
    City Watch (bowmen)
    City Guard (spearmen)
    Legion Scouts (light cavalry)
    Novice Mages
    Provincial Legionaries (as seen in Morrowind)
    Provincial Legionary Spearmen (as in Morrowind, but with spears)
    Provincial Legionary Bowmen
    Legionaries (first as in Oblivion, later as in Skyrim)
    Legionary Bowmen (same)
    Legionary Crossbowmen
    Legionary Spearmen
    Mounted Legionaries
    Legionary Battlemages (as the mages guarding the Arcane University in Oblivion)
    Palace Guards (the guys in white armor)
    Palace Guard Bowmen
    Blades (with shield and katana)
    Blade Swordmasters (with twohanded dai-katana)
    Mounted Blades
    Riders of Kvatch (only accessible after Kvatch is totally rebuilt, equipped as Savlian Matius)
    Order Knights (Knights of various orders)

If you lose the Great War you get the Penitus Oculatus instead of the Blades

Morrowind:
    Swordsmen (basic swordsmen on militia level)
    Militia (crossbowmen)
    City Guard (pikes)
    Hlaalu Guards (heavy swordsmen)
    Redoraan Guard (spearmen)
    Telvanni Guard (twohanded swords)
    Dres Guard (light infantry)
    Indoril Guard (bowmen)
    Ashlander Cavalry (mounted bowmen)
    Telvanni Mages
    Battlemages
    Morag Tong (can hide anywhere)
    Knights (heavy cavalry, resembling various great houses)
    Dismounted Ashlanders (bows)
    Ordinators
    High Ordinators
    King's Guard

Valenwood:
    Militia (bowmen)
    Spearmen
    Light Swordsmen
    Woodcutters (twohanded axes; humans being paid for cutting wood (or men), as the Bosmer are not allowed to)
    Forest Riders (mounted bowmen)
    skirmishers (javelins)
    Clan Warriors (bowmen)
    Clan Axemen (heavy axes)
    Big Game Hunters (pikes for hunting really big game)
    Wood Warriors (twohanded swords, but light and fast)
    Forest Singers (mages)
    Palace Guards (heavy infantry)
    Woodheart Guards (halberdiers)
    Rangers (bowmen)
    The Wild Hunt

Elsweyr:
    -Do'Suthay (militia level)
    -Qa'Suthay (bowmen)
    -Do'Ohmes (light infantry, stronger than Suthay)
    -Dar'Suthay-raht (light infantry)
    -Do'Cathay (light infantry very good at hiding)
    -Qa'Cathay (bowmen)
    -Do'Cathay-raht (as Do'Cathay but stronger)
    -Qa'Cathay-raht (bowmen capable in melee)
    -Do'Senche (ridden tigerlike Khajiit)
    -Do'Senche-raht (even bigger ridden tigerlike Khajiit; among the best of cavalry in the game)
    -Pahmar (like tigers, unmounted)
    -Jo'Dagi-raht (quite small mages good at hiding)
    -Jo'Dagi (stronger mages, even smaller)
    -Do'Cathay-raht'Dro (bodyguards, heavy infantry)
    -Ahzirr Traajijazeri (among the findest of light infantry, only recruitable near Leyawiin)

Skyrim:
    Scouts (light infantry, weak)
    shortsword youngmen (not sure if the translation is correct, but it should say everything. Militia level swordmen)
    Gamekeepers (javelins)
    Archer Scouts (militia level bowmen)
    Skald Apprentices (Thu'um; they haven't mastered the Thu'um yet but they can use some basic words)

Axemen (do I need to specify them?
    Barbarians (twohanded axes)
    Raiders (light inantry with axes)
    Long House Militia (fair spearmen)
    Long House Guards (crossbowmen)
    Skalds (Thu'um; these are not supposed to be the Greybeards, but some Nord that have studied at High Hrothgar)
    Mountain Hunters (elite bowmen)
    Windhelm Guards (elite halberdiers)
    Whiterun Soldiers (elite heavy infantry)
    Axe Riders (rmounted axemen)
    Bjoulsae Riders (mounted bowmen)
    Iceblood Berserkers (elite axemen)

Empire ideas for more units:

Fighters Guild Mercenaries. (professional heavy infantry and heavy archers)

It is possible to give Skingrad its own small army, much like Dol Amroth in the Third Age mod.

A shame. :(

• 661 posts
    October 25, 2013 11:05 AM EDT

Why are the Bretons suddenly punks now? I know they like getting conquered in the past, but what's to stop them from learning from their mistakes. Also Bretons are possibly the worst opponent for the The Third Dominion to go up against. I also think that Humans would find a way to unite against the Dominion. Maybe through diplomacy or conquest. They will unite.

• 1483 posts
    October 25, 2013 11:05 AM EDT

If they are in conflict with Skyrim, I don't think so. You don't let armies through your lands when you are in conflict 

• 1483 posts
    October 25, 2013 11:06 AM EDT

If they somehow manage to get the Falmer from their underground reaches and set them on the Nords... Hammerfell also has a lot of dwarven ruins, there bound to be Falmer as well...

• 966 posts
    October 25, 2013 11:07 AM EDT

Why wouldn't you? Happend in real life often enough. Even if it was merely to avoid yet another conflict.

• 1483 posts
    October 25, 2013 11:08 AM EDT

Breton military force isn't very inspiring... One of their major cities - Wayrest was conquered by pirates... 

• 1483 posts
    October 25, 2013 11:09 AM EDT

It lessens security. Nords can get sleeper agents, splinter groups inside Hammerfell, they may get to the major cities... 

• 966 posts
    October 25, 2013 11:11 AM EDT

If they don't their bigger enemy - The Dominion - would get a near perfect position to attack Hammerfell. It would be weighing the pros and cons, in the end I believe they'll let the Empire through.

• 1483 posts
    October 25, 2013 11:14 AM EDT

Also, Alduin, if they attack High Rock the Empire forces will spend some time getting there and they will have to pass through the desert to reach High Rock. By that time the Dominion will have the Iliac Bay closed with their navy and the mountain passes closed with their military.

• 1483 posts
    October 25, 2013 11:15 AM EDT

They can face a whole different foe if they go after the Red Mountain... The Argonians. I doubt they will sit out like during the last war

• 966 posts
    October 25, 2013 11:15 AM EDT

We can't really know how it'll go. The Bretons are formidable against Elves, and I have no doubt the Empire has a standing army stationed there. Then there's all the knightly orders and cities that would probably be willing to stop feuding for a year or so.

• 966 posts
    October 25, 2013 11:17 AM EDT

So? During the Eighty Years' war Dutch pirates conquered some cities from the Spanish, the most powerful military force at the time.

• 1483 posts
    October 25, 2013 11:17 AM EDT

Not sure. If corsairs can conquer Wayrest - one of their biggest cities, their military didn't help them there...

• 966 posts
    October 25, 2013 11:18 AM EDT

Most of all their navy. We don't know much about these corsairs, they might be a large highly organized group that could even take Alinor by suprise.

• 1483 posts
    October 25, 2013 11:19 AM EDT

But of that importance? It would be like conquering Barcelona or Valencia