Forums » The Lounge

A Trip Down Memory Lane: Halloween Edition

• 140 posts
    October 22, 2013 9:46 PM EDT

Since the holiday for all things spooky (and sweet) is on the horizon, I thought perhaps a general Halloween questionnaire for the community would be in order. 

1. What was your best costume? This costume does not have to be a contest winner, but perhaps something you wanted to be so badly or an idea you were happy to have seen come to fruition.  (I am wondering if anyone can top the uber-coolness of this Doggy Dovahkiin?)  

2. What was your worst costume? (And I hope no one's was as bad as poor Charlie Brown's costume...)

3. What was the favorite treat you received in your goodie bag?  (Why yes, apples do count!)

4. What was the worst treat you received (and that you tried to pawn off on your younger siblings?)  

and

5. Did you ever play a trick, and if so, care to elaborate?  

6. Since begging for candy is probably too young for most of us (key word is probably), how do you celebrate the holiday now?

Feel free to share any other special memories of a thrilling or chilling Halloween!

• 140 posts
    October 22, 2013 9:57 PM EDT

I will start this off...best ever costume was my Wonder Woman costume.  Even though it was plastic and the mask was all wet on the inside from me breathing on it, I felt that I was the toughest four year old around!

Worst costume was a homemade pumpkin.  It was a wire contraption draped in orange fabric and paled in comparison to my sister's awesome Lucky Charms cereal box.  

Best candy had to be a Snickers bar...and my worst candies were the ones I posted above.  For some reason, those peanut butter orange and black wrapped candies were as hard as a rock...I am guessing that they were leftovers from the year before.

No tricks to report here, and as a parent, I now spend time (usually starting in August) crafting costumes for the kids...and keeping an eagle eye out for any candy the kids try to sneak into their beds after all the excitement is over!

• October 22, 2013 10:05 PM EDT
    1. The Joker. I even got face paint and hair dye. Though I also got picked on by ole' Bats (my 6 year old cousin).

2. The year when I didn't plan to dress up but my friend did. So I put on a random cape and hat and called myself Zorro.

3. Daffins Candy Bars.

4. Stuff involving nuts.

5. Not really. Why trick someone who gives you free candy?

6. Buy my own candy like a man (after begging my mom for cash).
    • 1913 posts
    October 22, 2013 10:07 PM EDT
    1. My coolest costume was Darth Vader cause I had bought the voice modulator helmet... It was awesome!

2. Worst... I don't remember the specifics... But I believe I was a teletubbie... Don't laugh at me, I was like 3 or 4!

3. Favorite treat... If I had to choose, it would have been a $10 bill someone gave me as a child... But if it has to be candy... M&M's... I know it is simple, but I don't really eat candy all that much...

4. Worst... Reese's peanut butter cups... If there is a food concoction I hate more than anything in the word.... It would be chocolate and peanut butter (if any of you are angry at me, bring it on! I've fought uglier than you!)

5. No... I tried, but I was too innocent... I would always warn them of the trick at the last minute :(

6. Now I spend it watching horror movies, laughing at the cliches. The next few years though I will be taking my baby sister so she can have some fun :)
    • 140 posts
    October 22, 2013 10:13 PM EDT

Wow!  Fresh Zeppole?  I think I would trick or treat in your childhood neighborhood as an adult!  I am guessing those did not make it home...or maybe even back to the sidewalk.

Freddie Kruger totally terrified me at that age.  I would have gone running down the street in the opposite direction!  (See, by that time, I had totally outgrown my Wonder Woman costume, and so I would not have been afraid).

You were a terrible roommate, Lex, but extremely funny!  

• 140 posts
    October 22, 2013 10:13 PM EDT

No shame there...she had the invisible plane.  What boy would not have wanted to ride in that cool thing?  

• 140 posts
    October 22, 2013 10:20 PM EDT

Daffins Candy Bars?  Is that a local candy?  (runs off to Google it)

How long did you have to practice that crazy Joker grin?  

• 1913 posts
    October 22, 2013 10:23 PM EDT
    And it starts -.-
  • October 22, 2013 10:24 PM EDT
    Not as long as I had to avoid brushing my teeth ;) Also I added a smile with the face paint (ala Heath Ledger Joker).

And yeah, Daffins are local. They're also my favorite brand of candy bar!
    • 140 posts
    October 22, 2013 10:26 PM EDT

Darth Vader sounds incredibly cool, Bryn!  I would have loved to see that. I think if I were to dress up today, I would have to pick a Star Wars character.  And just let me say, aww, on the teletubbie costume.  Of course I would not laugh, I am a mom!  

• 1913 posts
    October 22, 2013 10:35 PM EDT
    ... It was dipsy.
    • 140 posts
    October 22, 2013 10:39 PM EDT

• 966 posts
    October 22, 2013 10:48 PM EDT

1- Never wore a costume, halloween is not really that big here, and I'm not one to dress up like that anyway.

2- Still no costume

3- €50

4- Air

5- Not that I remember. Probably plenty of small things, though.

6- Haven't celebrated in years. Haven't seen kids go door to door in years either.

• 1913 posts
    October 22, 2013 10:49 PM EDT
    You know, rewatching that show, it is really creepy!
    • 140 posts
    October 22, 2013 10:52 PM EDT

Ever watch Boohbah?  Mind numbingly creepy...

• 140 posts
    October 22, 2013 10:55 PM EDT

So are you telling me that you never dressed up as a knight or a pirate, even if it was not for Halloween?  Even as a wee dragon?

Yeah, I was not sure if there was much celebration on the continent...I am guessing more in England perhaps?

• 249 posts
    October 22, 2013 10:58 PM EDT
    I'm gonna be Ash Ketchum this Halloween for the festival in town and I'm pretty stoked (@age 24).

Worst costume would have to be when I was 17, I wore giant, star-shaped sunglasses, a sun hat, and a Hawaiian shirt to be Elton John. One person actually recognized the costume lol.

Best treat= Anything sour. Warheads anyone?

Double Bubble sucks chodes.

For some reason, every Halloween my friends and I would knock on doors and run away. Also, egging was a big deal.

In my town, adults dress up and go downtown to get drunk in public. That's actually in two days, can't wait.
    • 966 posts
    October 22, 2013 11:00 PM EDT

Well, I did wear real armour and such once, but only for like 15 minutes. I never liked costumes, can't remember anyone really doing it for halloween, except in Amsterdam, I heard they're going to use parts of the city to make it look like The Walking Dead, thousands of people professionaly dressed up for it.

Don't know, Halloween never caught on, I guess. We do have Sint-Maarten though, kids go door-to-door then.

• 55 posts
    October 22, 2013 11:06 PM EDT

1) My best costume would have to be the year my friends and I all went as the Happy Tree Friends. It was weird because it was supposed to be a funny costume, but I remember my friends little cousins being scared to death of us!

2) My worst costume would have to be the year I was "superman." My girlfriend of the time asked me to come with her and her little sister trick or treating. I showed up dressed normally not expecting anything. And while she has this full blown costume on. We actually argued over the fact and of course I lost. I ran home grabbed a blue Under Armour shirt, threw a superman shirt on over top and a light up cape I won at Six Flags.

3) Contrary to the pictures above, I loved Whoppers! I don't know why, because it seemed like everyone around me hated them but that was a good thing. It meant I got all of my friends Whoppers 

4) I despised those hard candies that just came in colored wrapper like black, orange, purple. When I was little I was convinced they were poisoned and just threw them away. Then one day I was feeling courageous and tried one. It was horrible! I wished they were poisoned lol.

5) Never really did anything serious. But for some reason, ding dong ditch was always popular in my neighborhood around Halloween.

6) The past couple years I've just been going to haunted houses and that kind of stuff with my friends. But this year has been a lot more quiet. I just stay at home and watch Halloween specials and some scary movies with my girlfriend (a different one than the one previously mentioned lol). Because she is too much of a whimp to go to any haunted houses 

• 140 posts
    October 22, 2013 11:10 PM EDT

I see your Warheads and raise you a box of Lemonheads!    (and regarding Double Bubble, yes, the driest gum ever!  However, you are the second person on the blog in 24 hours who has made me head to Urban Dictionary...)  

Nice Alastor!  Sounds like you will be having tons of fun!

• 140 posts
    October 22, 2013 11:13 PM EDT

Can you explain Sint-Maarten, Alduin?  Google is not being helpful there.

• 140 posts
    October 22, 2013 11:14 PM EDT

I am so sorry...I will reimburse you for the forthcoming therapy, I promise.

• 249 posts
    October 22, 2013 11:16 PM EDT
    Hahaha sorry you had to look that one up :p

Anyway, Lemonheads were one of my favorite candies as a tot! You've got good taste, Kyn! :D
    • 966 posts
    October 22, 2013 11:17 PM EDT

Wikipedia to the rescue!

There's also Sinterklaas, but most non-Dutchmen find him really weird. Especially Shannon.

• 249 posts
    October 22, 2013 11:18 PM EDT
    Bro! Whoppers are awesome! And you can't tell me you never went egging..?