Forums » The Lounge

The Member Spotlight - Mason

• 17 posts
    October 21, 2013 11:04 PM EDT

It is my pleasure to introduce the next Member Spotlight: Mason. I'm especially thrilled to be presenting this spotlight because Mason's Sorcerer build was the catalyst that pushed me to join the blog and to become an active member. Because of him, I have found an incredible community of like-minded gamers who I am proud to call my friends. Mason has, in some way, inspired and encouraged each one of us. After a brief hiatus from the blog, Mason picked up as though he never truly left.

But you don't want to hear from me. So, without further ado, I present Mason:

I’ve been a big gamer as long as I remember, a hobby that now clashes rather messily with my career, I’m a personal trainer so if I’m not lazing about playing Skyrim I’m doing push ups and trying to look dragonborn…

I honestly don't remember the moment I became a member here, I began hunting for information on Skyrim the minute I first heard about it, found Pauls blog during a random search and I don’t believe I even lurked, I just jumped straight in.

At the time it was just speculation posts, we had no idea what to expect, so everyone was just throwing out wild ideas of how they wanted ES5 to be played out, it was pretty exciting. It's perhaps at this time when members were most creative, they were throwing out amazing ideas and I just couldn't help but contribute my own thoughts. This humble think tank of random people became the Skyrim Blog as we know it now.

When we made the move to the Ning platform I rebelled a little at first, I felt we had become a vague Facebook, but then Skyrim was officially released and the site went crazy. It was when Paul launched Character Building that things started to get really interesting for me though.

Skyrim has no multiplayer capability, but this site and the character building group suddenly gave us all an outlet to share something unique and inspire others into doing the same.

I'd already worked out how to make a character strong, I just didn't know how to make it appealing to other people....and it just became a personal quest.

"How do I share this idea in the most creative way possible?"

I'll create a backstory, I'll find the lore, I'll even try and make the art, I'll test all the gameplay mechanics and make sure they work.....it became a crazed obsession.

I eventually became a host of the group and introduced the current ranking system as a means to try and keep it organised, a by-product of that was things got very competitive…

The CB group grew enormous very quickly, at one point it was dominating the website to a point that other bloggers could barely breathe. I’d like to say I spent adequate time in other areas of the site as well but this one group kept me completely locked down for months, and I don’t regret any of it.

The community here on The Skyrim Blog is definitely something I treasure; I’ve recently taken some time away to re-charge my batteries (as everyone should) but even when I wasn’t active I still dropped by daily to quickly find out what was going on.

I’m back in the hot seat over in CB again now and I hope to remain here as long as people continue to post great content.

There you have it, bloggers. Give it up for Mason!

• 249 posts
    October 21, 2013 11:52 PM EDT
    I never thought I'd say this to a guy gettin' frisky with a stuffed bear, but congrats. And remember, wrap it before ya tap it cuz bears are filthy.
    • 426 posts
    October 22, 2013 12:54 AM EDT

An integral cog in the machine that is Skyrim Blog. I have always had a good laugh with Mason especially back in the reorganizing of the character build section day's. Copy, paste, hyperlink lol I did a brief stint along side him but as he has stated I ended up drifting away to recharge batteries.

Long may he reign on the helm of Character Builds.  

• 268 posts
    October 22, 2013 3:21 AM EDT
    I'm not sure I like that face Mason is pulling... *tries to avert eyes*
    But anyway, Mason deserves this, he has been great with character building, hosting it and organising the group. Your builds are the best man, you truly set the standard for what people should try to do, and I for one am looking forward to a new build, and hopefully the return of Mannimarco!