Forums » The Lounge

Favorite Medieval Weaponry?

• 194 posts
    January 7, 2014 10:48 PM EST

:| Oh yeah... Titles... How do those work? For what it's worth I'm sticking with my answer. I can just say a medieval shortsword instead.

• 1913 posts
    January 7, 2014 10:55 PM EST
    It weighs nearly 20-40lb I think
  • January 7, 2014 11:00 PM EST

no, it weighed like 6 pounds. It is illogical to take something that heavy into battle. You have to swing it for possible hours on end. No weapon maker made something that heavy. Check out the Scottish claymore

• 708 posts
    January 7, 2014 11:06 PM EST
    • 5 posts
    January 10, 2014 9:09 PM EST

How about my baby and personal favorite the Falcata!An ancient celtic weapon used to wreck pretty much any ones day. Then the Kukri,A weapon that won a world war I battle just by the English dropping fliers that said gurkhi troops armed with this little miracle were coming to town. Another beautiful weapon,The Aztec Macuahuitl Obsidian Sword simply for the time it was created and the technology of the civilization who created it! Sharp as a razor or at least as sharp as broken glass.

The best ranged weapon in the history of the universe!    

• 26 posts
    January 11, 2014 5:09 PM EST

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen.

• 26 posts
    January 11, 2014 5:56 PM EST

Having played Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and realised the majesty of it, I'm gonna have to say...

The Bastard Sword!

Ok, not all of them look that awesome, but still, it's simply epic.

• January 11, 2014 6:06 PM EST

scythes arent weapons. They farm tools.  

• January 11, 2014 6:09 PM EST

The Katana is a saber without a pummel, hardly any gaurd, and has a forward center of balance. In short, it's not that great. 

• January 11, 2014 6:12 PM EST

Check out that design. That's either etching into the metal, or different types of metal were forged in that pattern, either way, it's sexy. 

• 1913 posts
    January 11, 2014 6:12 PM EST
    It can cleave through a man with very little effort and is light... It can pierce chainmail and I believe is made from steel, one of the best materials for a weapon
  • January 11, 2014 6:37 PM EST

1. Iron can do that too. You can put a razor edge on anything, the hardness of the metal, like steel, determine how LONG it stays that way. 

2. every sword is light

3. chain mail is designed against slashes, piercing thrusts go between the rings and break them open. Stabs are chain mail's weakness. 

• January 11, 2014 6:39 PM EST

Damascus were good back in the day, but they aren't so good in retrospect. Higher quality control means that swords today are better than swords back in the day. 

Damasucs is weird because we still don't know how they did it. We can replicate it, but we don't know how they did it. 

Pretty though

• January 11, 2014 7:02 PM EST

Even today, Sword makers in Japan use traditional methods. 

• 158 posts
    January 11, 2014 8:46 PM EST

whoa, the macahuitl is cool!  I've never seen one of those before! I always wondered exactly what they meant in Mesoamerican archaeology classes when they said "obsidian blades"...

• 49 posts
    January 11, 2014 9:54 PM EST

I think the Crossbow was a pretty neat invention. I did like the German Zweihander sword, all bendy and curvy like that. I think my favorite was the Scottish Claymore, or as I like to say, the Claidheamh Mòr.

• 661 posts
    January 13, 2014 11:38 AM EST

I always thought that was a long-sword. Very cool shit.