Forums » The Lounge

Favorite Medieval Weaponry?

• 39 posts
    November 5, 2013 3:23 PM EST

THAT is not a morningstar.

THIS is a morningstar:

• 966 posts
    November 5, 2013 3:38 PM EST

That's a (military)flail, Morningstars did not have a chain.

Many military flails were often called morningstars, often because of the shape of the 'head', but that's strictly speaking not true.

• 40 posts
    November 5, 2013 4:26 PM EST

Incendiary Pigs

Anti-tank Dogs

You're welcome. 

• 39 posts
    November 6, 2013 7:27 AM EST

Really? Wow.

D&D WEAPONS LIST! Y U LIE TO ME?!

• 966 posts
    November 6, 2013 7:29 AM EST

Did you really expect complete historical accuracy in a game called Dungeons and Dragons? (Especially since it doesn't have our history? I never played it so I'm not sure.)

• 39 posts
    November 6, 2013 3:21 PM EST

Yes, actually. most weapons in D&D are historically accurate. Besides magic staves,scrolls, and wands. But other than that, they were all right...besides morningstar, apparently...

• 661 posts
    November 6, 2013 3:43 PM EST

Look it up fool. Morning stars, and Flails are not the same thing. They are related in design, and origin. But nonetheless very different weapons. Morning Stars were designed for a higher class of warrior, the Knight. The way it is made is to maim an enemy so that it makes it harder to fight back. Flails were improvised weapons made up of everyday farm tools that were meant for threshing. They were essential weapons in revolutions against land barons. These were designed to kill. Throughout the world you can see many types of Flails. Even Asians used similar weapons.

Get it? Morning Stars are a strategist's weapon of choice. It could destroy shields, at the same time break bones. The Flail was the peasant's(foot soldiers and such) choice of weaponry. They could storm the gates of enemies, and kill them from a safe distance (much like a Lance or Hal-bred). Epic flail by the way. Where did you get the picture? I especially like this one.

• 39 posts
    November 6, 2013 3:44 PM EST

I went to google images and searched "morningstar"...

• 661 posts
    November 6, 2013 3:56 PM EST

Cant blame you for Google's fault then.

• 26 posts
    November 7, 2013 7:03 AM EST

Any Polearm weapon.

• 39 posts
    November 7, 2013 7:05 AM EST

Can't say it was google's fault, it's mostly my mistake for thinking that ALL D&D weapons were historically accurate. Google supplied the picture that in my head was a morningstar.

• 253 posts
    November 7, 2013 4:39 PM EST
    Dead bodies infected with the black plague. Combined with catapults, they were the Mongol's own little way of saying "f**k you Europe"!
    • 39 posts
    November 8, 2013 7:29 AM EST

Oh. Oh my god. I can't believe i forgot the most important weapon.

I am ashamed. Somehow, someway, I have forgotten...

The scythe:

(I know that an HCSS is unrealistic, but if was the first scythe that came up in google...)

• 74 posts
    November 16, 2013 11:10 PM EST
    The gun shield
    • 75 posts
    January 7, 2014 1:21 AM EST

The greatsword hands down. 

• 1913 posts
    January 7, 2014 1:25 AM EST
    Would the falchion count? The curve near the tip of the blade looks amazing, plus the combo of speed and power :)
    • 1913 posts
    January 7, 2014 1:26 AM EST
    Ever seen William Wallace's claymore? An almost 4-5ft long problem solver :)
    • 194 posts
    January 7, 2014 1:40 AM EST

Gladius sword. Mostly because Roman warriors used them so well to kill their enemies in the most terrifying way... Close. Without a shield and discipline, the sword is pretty shitty. But with those two things, it's the best non-missile weapon.

• 158 posts
    January 7, 2014 1:47 AM EST

the weight and balance of a naginata blade is totally different from a katana - the blade shape is broader at the tip.  I trained in aikido, which took a great deal of its strategy from medieval Japanese women's warrior training with naginata.  A beautiful weapon, close to my heart, along with the glaives and halberds that have been getting much love.

• 158 posts
    January 7, 2014 1:49 AM EST

on a related note, you might enjoy this documentary - it talks a bit about the influence and connection between damascus steel swords and viking swords...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/secrets-viking-sword.html

• 158 posts
    January 7, 2014 1:49 AM EST

absolutely so.  even the feudal warlord organization of redguard society during that period is reminiscent of late medieval Japan.

• 158 posts
    January 7, 2014 1:52 AM EST

gross.

• 75 posts
    January 7, 2014 10:34 PM EST

Yep, I wonder how much strength you would need to wield it though.

• 75 posts
    January 7, 2014 10:35 PM EST

But the gladius is not a medieval weapon.

• January 7, 2014 10:40 PM EST

"There's no resisting the spike"