Forums » The Lounge

New Website Layout - You Choose!

• October 20, 2013 5:34 PM EDT

Alright, here's something based on Vazgen's earlier idea. This is a draft. It's meant to tile down as you scroll the page.

The two pillars have Oblivion glyphs that read "The Skyrim Blog", I only have the Oblivion font, not Skyrim's dragon writing font, so that would have to be changed, but it's just to give you an idea what it could look like.

Also, the black background behind isn't plain black, if you open up the image in full size you'll see it's a subtle stone texture.

• 739 posts
    October 20, 2013 5:37 PM EDT

I like that mate, looks good...

I can't see your texture when I enlarge the image though?

• 739 posts
    October 20, 2013 5:38 PM EDT

I actually really like the one with two lines! That looks smart!

• 1483 posts
    October 20, 2013 5:39 PM EDT

Not sure why, but I can't see the stone texture in full size. I can see it in small version though. A thing about pillars is that small space right above the site and below sign out line. The pillars should also be continued all the way to the end of the page, either by tiling them one under the other, or writing in different languages on them. 

• 1483 posts
    October 20, 2013 5:40 PM EDT

I think the word "blog" should be the same size as Skyrim. The site is not all about Skyrim anymore, The Skyrim Blog have become something of a brand and we must reflect that. We have ESO group that will be very active when the game launches.

• 48 posts
    October 20, 2013 5:47 PM EDT

I'm obviously not as fast as you guys at doing Photoshop work...  I go away to play with the font and there's another 3 pages to the discussion....

Here's what I meant about making the font "bolder" though:

• 557 posts
    October 20, 2013 5:48 PM EDT

Can you please edit the appearance to try that one out? I really like that. 

• 1483 posts
    October 20, 2013 5:51 PM EDT

This definitely looks good on the map version  I'm not sure but it is a little pixelated on the full size version, no? Maybe add a shadow on the text, to hide it?

• 1483 posts
    October 20, 2013 5:52 PM EDT

Sorry, didn't see the tiling part on your comment. Do you think you can make the pillars bigger, more round and the letters bigger as well? 

• 48 posts
    October 20, 2013 5:58 PM EDT

Antialiased, and added some blur.  There already was a drop shadow.  Made it a bit bigger and more opaque.

• October 20, 2013 5:59 PM EDT

I know about that, it's just a draft. I wanted to know if it was the right direction to keep working on.

What do you see instead of the texture? For me it's quite clear actually:

• 1483 posts
    October 20, 2013 6:00 PM EDT

The blur was excessive IMO, other than that - cool! 

• October 20, 2013 6:01 PM EDT

Of course, I thought the same for the letters.

I need to get that dragon type font, perhaps it should be posted in this discussion for other people who want to have a go at it.

• 48 posts
    October 20, 2013 6:01 PM EDT

The texture is there in both of them.  The original one is very hard to see though.  I think it's a bit too subtle.  The grey parts need to be lightened up a bit.

• 48 posts
    October 20, 2013 6:02 PM EDT

It still looked a bit pixelated... let me see...

• October 20, 2013 6:03 PM EDT

They're different textures, but yeah. On my PC it looks brighter than usual.

I'll have to continue tomorrow. I need to leave

• 1483 posts
    October 20, 2013 6:06 PM EDT

Here is how it looks like on my end, Arma:

Small version

Large version

• 48 posts
    October 20, 2013 6:07 PM EDT

No blur.  Just shadow and antialias.

• 1483 posts
    October 20, 2013 6:08 PM EDT

Here are the Dwemer, Daedric and Dragon fonts for everyone who wants to have a try at this. The Falmer font can be found here: Link

• 739 posts
    October 20, 2013 6:09 PM EDT

Just play with the curves on the background and inch them up a little, the black cracks should push through more then...

It is a nice design but apart from the runes it feels a little bit like one of the wallpapers from one of the early versions of Windows. Keep playing...

This project seems well in hand now though guys, looks like it's going in a good direction...

• 1483 posts
    October 20, 2013 6:09 PM EDT

Hmm... you're right it still looks pixelated. How much blur did you give?

• 48 posts
    October 20, 2013 6:10 PM EDT

Gaussian Blur of 1 pixel.

• 1483 posts
    October 20, 2013 6:12 PM EDT

Can you go lower? 0.5, 0.2?

• 365 posts
    October 20, 2013 6:15 PM EDT

Where do we put the type file again? Done this sort of shit before, I just can't remember....

• 365 posts
    October 20, 2013 6:16 PM EDT

I'll do a quick mash-up of some of my ideas for the background guys.....or the banner, whatever.