Forums » Elder Scrolls

Cutscenes in the Elder Scrolls?

• 12 posts
    October 6, 2013 2:32 PM EDT

Title says it all really, I mentioned the idea on the chat today, and it got mixed opinions, here is my opinion though: I think cutscenes are a really good way to engage the player in dialogue (especially in Skyrim where you hear the same conversations over and over again whenever you play new characters) and they make the character feel less like a computer generated model that is programmed to move in a repeated pattern and more like an actual person. If they don't add full on cutscenes, I would at least like to see a optional "cinematic" view where there are different camera angles that make conversation a bit more interesting. The cinematic view could also work alongside cutscenes for conversations that are not important enough to warrant a cutscene, like a simple dialogue. Also as a side note would voices make sense in the game... maybe 3 options per gender per race?)

So, would you like to see: A lot of cutscenes, cutscenes for only major events, an optional cinematic view, or cutscenes for important events and cinematic view for everything else, or keep it the way Skyrim is now?

Sorry, I wrote a bit more than i thought... 

• 360 posts
    October 6, 2013 7:07 PM EDT
    I actually like the idea
    • 856 posts
    October 6, 2013 9:05 PM EDT

I dislike the idea of cut scenes.. A cut scene, would take me away from the action. Even if it was in a 'quiet' setting, I don't want my game play interrupted by some cut scene; it spoils the immersion. I think the optional cinematic view is a good idea, however, as long as it remains optional. Well, actually, I have no problems with cut scenes, if they too were optional - I would just opt out.

Also, I think the player should initiate all conversations (the one-liners that you hear are ok, but I dislike the idea of a forced conversation tree). It's really bad to be fighting a tough opponent when suddenly a random person runs up and says "Hey hold on this for me, snitch and I'll kill you". In the mean time, you , the player are forced to deal with the conversation while your opponent continues to fight.

• 1913 posts
    October 6, 2013 9:09 PM EDT
    I like how they did most of them in skyrim (a quick scene for about 10 seconds max, or from first person view (example: holding the skeleton key)