Forums » Elder Scrolls

Legendary Gameplay.

• 365 posts
    October 6, 2013 10:20 AM EDT

Does anyone actually play on Legendary? And if so, how many time have you died before leaving Helgen? Anyone got any builds for surviving Legendary?

• 70 posts
    October 6, 2013 10:26 AM EDT

The character I've found most viable on Legendary is a simple Destruction / Restoration / Alteration mage with only those skills and a bit of One-Handed. If you use stealth attacks as a primary form of offense you will die a lot, because it will rarely one-shot the opponent and then you have to fight them up close. 

Conjuration can help, although it's possible to survive without if you use Shouts skillfully. Also, if you get Whirlwind Cloak you will not die, because melee characters (the usual hard hitters) won't even be able to get close to you.

• 856 posts
    October 6, 2013 11:37 AM EDT

I tried your basic sword and board on Legendary. He did fine, retired somewhere around level 30. But in the end, I found that I didn't like Legendary - the fights simply took too long and I became bored with it.

• 1913 posts
    October 6, 2013 11:39 AM EDT
    I only play on adept or expert... Where is the difficulty in just having the game nerf your damage and buff your enemies? That isn't difficulty... That is just lazy.
    • 70 posts
    October 6, 2013 11:49 AM EDT

Well on Adept it's like "Hey look a Dragon" *Poke* Dead Dragon.

I normally play on Master just to make the fights last a bit longer, whether I win or lose I prefer a longer fight to a one-hit kill.

• 1913 posts
    October 6, 2013 11:51 AM EDT
    Not for me, but then again, I don't fully perk skills or really use smithing or enchanting, and alchemy is only for health potions
    • 70 posts
    October 6, 2013 12:06 PM EDT

I'm OK with using armour cap but being immune to magic just sounds too boring to play with. The only way I could do that is if I used the Atronach Stone to also give me -100% magicka regen.

• 1483 posts
    October 6, 2013 12:11 PM EDT

Sneak is your best friend. Also spells that do not cause direct damage, like Illusion and Conjuration. Find spiders in Dragonborn DLC - Cloaked ones will destroy everything if you make them on high levels (their level is equal to yours). Usually one crafting skill is enough to make a character viable, at least Alchemy is. 

• 249 posts
    October 6, 2013 2:13 PM EDT
    I thought Alchemy was the only craft ;) wish I had Hearthfire though :p
    • 49 posts
    October 6, 2013 3:23 PM EDT

Depends,

Hardcore Skyrim session: LEGENDARY TO THE MAX

Feeling like roleplaying: usually Adept but sometimes Expert

Faceroll relaxing time: Novice or Apprentice

I usually play on Adept cuz its kinda relaxing while being challenging at the same time. I only use Legendary for specific characters. Sword and Board works best.

• 4 posts
    October 6, 2013 5:46 PM EDT

As been said, spiders're nice, an' conjuration archers can do 'emselves some justice with the Ranger perk. Course, most anythin' still gives a work on Legendary, ya just gotta take it up to eleven, an' be either super-mobile, or way strong protected.

• 485 posts
    October 6, 2013 11:05 PM EDT

Ive played my shadowcaster and brute on legendary, but only after about lvl 45 or so. I think Legendary straight from Helgen is too cruel a punishment to inflict on oneself. 

I prefer to balance my builds for master. I feel that in order to truly determine your build's viability you got to play on at least expert. 

• 89 posts
    October 6, 2013 11:14 PM EDT

The Daedra Seducer from the last Character building contest was designed to go on Legendary difficulty, and it also won second place, so it's a pretty darn good build.

• 33 posts
    October 7, 2013 5:51 AM EDT

Try NoCrafting on Legendary. Soon you'll figure out what skills are worth more than others.

• 33 posts
    October 7, 2013 6:09 AM EDT

I agree fights take longer. But your potions run out faster too. Then you're left with your most viable options for a Legendary gameplay. Skills that you don't normally use will suddenly become very useful. Money will become very important (unless you use the console for cheats).

Lots of people say "I stopped because I was bored" but change comes out of boredom. What's more rewarding, playing a difficult character which you'll turn into a very interesting gameplay (if you can and want to) OR drop your character and start another one (in doing so, going through the same stages you've been through tens of times before, hence getting even more bored) character which will be slightly overpowering because you were bored with not being able to kill your opponents faster...

Then there's your time investment. If you only have 20 mins a day to play, probably in 20 mins you need to do 10 quests. Personally I go for quality over quantity. It annoys the hell out of me to spend 3 days IRL in the same dungeon, but the feeling of accomplishment will be considerably greater. And in 3 days time, the gameplay I would be forced to adopt will change the build's overall gameplay (because I would not spend even more time, getting out of the dungeon to buy items which I would need to finish the dungeon off faster or more easily).

• 33 posts
    October 7, 2013 7:38 AM EDT

Yep, it's just a question of changing mechanics. Being a Breton and having a special Standing Stone does the same as a number of potions. Getting hit with physical attacks can be avoided or mitigated in various ways. Doing more damage can be modified by various means too. It's just a matter of choosing what makes more sense/ applies more to your preferred gameplay.

In the end, you will stick to a couple of mechanics which fit better with RP and personal preferences. These will always win versus creating an overpowering character which will get you bored with the gameplay all the same.

• 1483 posts
    October 7, 2013 7:46 AM EDT

From my experience creating an overpowered character on Legendary is quite a hard thing to do if you limit your crafting skills to one. The only thing that I really felt overpowered was Ignite with Aspect of Terror, Augmented Flames 2/2 and Fortify Destruction 80%. Still, without the potion there were enemies quite able to kill you, like Dwarven Ballista's

• 33 posts
    October 7, 2013 7:50 AM EDT

Hmm... no DB, no Ignite.

• 33 posts
    October 7, 2013 7:58 AM EDT

You could just keep on you a stack of standard potions: Fortify Two-Handed, Fortify Block, Fortify Heavy-Armor. Apothecaries will start better and better versions of each potion effect in increments of 10 levels (lvl 1 < 10 < 20 < 30 < 40). During your first 10 levels you can simply run around making money, training your skills as you go. I never get why people say that playing a high difficulty is so hard, in early levels.

• 1483 posts
    October 7, 2013 8:02 AM EDT

Ah, you refer to defensive "overpoweredness"  My thoughts were about how to kill enemies as easy as on adept with only one crafting skill. Still, I find these dwarven machines and draugr death overlords cutting through capped defence even with capped AR enough to make you feel worried 

• 1483 posts
    October 7, 2013 8:03 AM EDT

I play DiD on Legendary... Not that hard I must say, just need to be careful to stay at range from those crazy warhammer wielding bandits on lower levels because killcams 

• 33 posts
    October 7, 2013 8:06 AM EDT

Nah, you don't have to rely on exploits... You need patience and knowledge of quests.

I'd say you would also need Luck, but sadly, this attribute was removed...

• 33 posts
    October 7, 2013 8:12 AM EDT

Should we wait for a character build then?

• 1483 posts
    October 7, 2013 8:16 AM EDT

You can, but it will probably take too long... I had plans on posting it, but won't do it anytime soon, and perhaps never...

• 33 posts
    October 7, 2013 8:20 AM EDT

There are shouts, there's Fear (poisons, spells, scrolls), there's Stagger (yours and your Atronach's), there's Paralysis (poisons, spells, scrolls), there's Invisibility (potions, spells, scrolls)... All great for an offensive playstyle...