Forums » Elder Scrolls

Civil War

• 74 posts
    September 27, 2013 9:28 PM EDT
    Which Skyrim Civil War ending do you think was canon? Stormcloaks or Imperials?
    • 159 posts
    September 27, 2013 10:29 PM EDT

I hope it was the  stormcloaks to add a bit more flavor to the lore of elder scrolls since for the most part bethesda seems to favor the imperials more often so I think it was the imperials but I hope it was the badass awesome stormcloaks 

• 69 posts
    September 28, 2013 9:00 AM EDT

Truthfully, I don't know. I kind of hope that the Thalmor will invade Skyrim and take over it as a Thalmor province on the mainland of Tamriel. If that doesn't happen, I would want the Imperials to win. The Stormcloaks would just destroy themselves. They couldn't survive on their own without the strength of the Empire.

• September 28, 2013 11:58 AM EDT

This smells of Daggerfall. Of course, there's a simple answer to this that I predict will be true: Doesn't matter. Remember those leftover camps that everyone complains about you being unable to wipe out after the Civil War has ended? It's pretty obvious why those guys remained essential: Because in the next game, no matter which side the Dragonborn sided with, there will still be parts of each side in Skyrim. Those parts will likely not mean anything except in reference, though; I'm thinking the next game will happen after the Aldmeri Dominion has already "destroyed the Empire and unified the warring provinces of Tamriel." Whoops, suddenly, who cares which side won the war? Even if the Stormcloaks win the Civil War, remember that the Empire and the Aldmeri Dominion are still the plot-relevant major powers of Tamriel, with the Argonians likely comparably powerful at this point but unlikely to make a plot impact at this point. Perhaps after the Dominion either wins or loses, everyone can suddenly notice that Black Marsh has dominated three or four provinces; but until then, I don't think they'll have finished their Major in politics and come in.

Anyway, long answer short, they'll try very hard to make it seem like either side could have won, in order to make fans happy. That, or they'll say very vaguely "The Stormcloaks rose in Skyrim, but were brought back in line by the Empire, who came in from Cyrodiil". Suddenly you don't know if the Stormcloaks won the war but were re-taken later by the Empire, or if that would refer to the Empire having simply sent in troops and winning the first time. Hooray for forced internal consistency through vagueness.

• 26 posts
    September 30, 2013 7:03 PM EDT
    May Talos guide you brother