Forums » Elder Scrolls

Gender in Skyrim

• 622 posts
    September 17, 2013 1:56 AM EDT

One of the biggest things I love about Skyrim is the gender equality. You can marry whoever you want and no one gives a flying mammoth. Women can be strong, capable warriors just as much as then men can be.

But in saying that... I have never ever played a female character, except for that one Breton on my Xbox who soon got deleted. I have tried and failed but I don't like the looks of females in Skyrim and I hate thinking up names... I can just do blokes so much better! Which is sad because I'm a girl ._.

So here's the topic for discussion - What do you normally play as? Is it the same as your gender or the opposite? Does gender matter in the end anyway? Thoughts?

• 116 posts
    September 17, 2013 2:09 AM EDT
    I'm a dude that usually plays as a dude. But I also have no problem with playing a female character if a certain build I like is more geared for a female
  • September 17, 2013 2:42 AM EDT
    I mostly play as female -as I am one - but I too have a problem with female looks in Skyrim: they walk funny, they look all the same, have the same bone struckture and the neck of beast races (my favourites) are odly thin so I always have to wear a hood. In general I think males are done better.
    • 13 posts
    September 17, 2013 5:46 AM EDT

I usually play as a female because i don't want to be staring as a guy while i play skyrim.

• 622 posts
    September 17, 2013 6:49 AM EDT

That is exactly my problem.

• 1483 posts
    September 17, 2013 7:48 AM EDT
    I played both male and female characters and prefer males simply for the reason that I can get into the mindset of a character easier. My female Bosmer healer Velarien still remains one of my favorite charactees though. Also I don't get people saying things about preferring opposite gender because don't like staring at a same gender character throughout the game. Do they percieve video game characters in some other way?
    • 1913 posts
    September 17, 2013 7:53 AM EDT
    I prefer women, i have an easier time creating female characters, and I feel it makes more sense story-wise to have a female hero/villain/whatever
    • 14 posts
    September 17, 2013 9:04 AM EDT
    Why does it make more sense story-wise to you?
    • 1913 posts
    September 17, 2013 9:45 AM EDT
    Makes sense is not correct... Feels better story-wise is. I mean think about it, how many characters that are male are the same prototypical male hero who gets the girl at the end? How many characters are there that are female, are strong, and are not used as things to ogle at while they do action scenes? Not many... So it feels better being able to do that, I like to play against type in stories and games (example. An orc assassin who is never seen is one of my favorite characters that I created)
    • 1 posts
    September 17, 2013 10:30 AM EDT

Why sad? I'm female, too and I do love to create my perfect character that is always male :D
    I play a male Khajiit and I don't care.
    Also my poor character has no helmet, because I like the way he looks. Cat face.
    I love cats.
    I said too much.

• 91 posts
    September 17, 2013 2:58 PM EDT

I enjoy playing all types of characters and have played all types of characters. I did a lot of acting in high-school and even a little more recently for community theater so I really get into Role Playing a character, and I just love getting into that character's skin and living a different life through their eyes.

I tend to enjoy male characters more in Skyrim simply because I feel like it's a waste to not use one of the awesome beards (if you played Oblivion you know why beards are such an important thing). However, one of my favorite characters is a female Argonian werewolf so *shrug*.

• 69 posts
    September 17, 2013 3:16 PM EDT

I play as females for thief, assassin, archer, or illusion mages. I feel like it doesn't really make sense playing a female that carries a ebony battleaxe and decapitates her foes, unless it's an orc.

• 661 posts
    September 17, 2013 3:48 PM EDT

It doesn't matter to me. I can make both perfectly fine. It only matters if the character is found righteous enough by Alduin to undertake the quest to defeat him. You know when the game glitches at the beginning of the game where Alduin flies around just roaring. To me and my friend if Alduin doesn't land, you are not worthy to vanquish him. If he does, then that character has to finish the game. 

• 360 posts
    September 17, 2013 5:08 PM EDT
    I usually roleplay as a fantasy version of myself, so i go with male and make him look similar to me
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 17, 2013 5:17 PM EDT

I play with male characters. The only females that I play as (rarely, as I prefer males) are Dunmers.

• 69 posts
    September 17, 2013 5:20 PM EDT

Why do you play as a Dunmer for females?

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 17, 2013 5:29 PM EDT

I'm not sure. The Dunmers are my favorite race, so that may be one of the reasons... And I can just get involved with a female character when it's a Dunmer. Why? Who knows...

[EDIT]  It may be worth mentioning that if I had to play as a female, and couldn't choose a Dunmer, I'd pick an Orc.

• 622 posts
    September 17, 2013 7:19 PM EDT

That's a good point, I might just have to use it xD

• 89 posts
    September 17, 2013 8:32 PM EDT

I occasionally play females for mages or assassins, not generally warriors, and the majority of my characters are at least part warrior, just for a bit of realism. I don't have anything really against female characters, I just generally think of my character as male. Males are just biologically built stronger. Though I did once play a female knight named Brienne of Tarth.

• 48 posts
    September 17, 2013 11:32 PM EDT

I almost always play a female character.  I find it a lot easier to relate to the character if the character is female.  I find I have more emotional freedom if I'm playing a female character, whereas all my male characters tend to act exactly the same way.  Playing as a male just never feels right to me, which is odd, because I am a guy.  

I have the same problems that you do as well.  I don't like the looks of the guys in Skyrim, and I'm terrible at coming up with male names.

I also find that female characters generally have more cosmetic options that feel right.  You can make a beautiful warrior, a hard-ass macho warrior, a sexy seductress, an agile thief, an enigmatic sorceress.  I find with male characters, I end up falling into either big macho dude, or elderly scholar, and nothing else feels right.  Females also have better hairstyles available, and more useful makeup options.  Guys get beards, but that's about it.  I also like how most of the armor sets look on female characters better, with a few execptions (Ebony Armor and Telvanni Robes, I'm looking at you...)

My wife always tells me I just didn't play with enough Barbies when I was a kid. 

• September 18, 2013 5:30 AM EDT

Male khajiit is good :D For me it is this mindset thing Vazgen was talking about. Somethimes it's just easier. (And still, my most immersive roleplay was as a male bosmer.)

• 622 posts
    September 18, 2013 6:12 AM EDT

I also have a male Khajiit ^.^

• 622 posts
    September 18, 2013 8:38 AM EDT

The last line got me xD

I'll have to try be a female next play-through... I attempted with my last two but just went, 'Eh, males looks better." I actually have been planning a female for a while but always end up showing her to the side, lol