Forums » Elder Scrolls

Archer's Corner: Favorite Bow

• 32 posts
    September 12, 2013 3:12 PM EDT

What's your favorite type of bow/arrow combo in Skyrim? What found item/quest item/ or created item do you prefer most?

• 32 posts
    September 12, 2013 3:44 PM EDT

Yeah i totally agree, I really enjoy the hunter's bow and even the long bow from time to time, the grungdier the better (falmor and forsworn bows) My personal favorite bow/arrow combo is an Ebony Bow (Frost Enchanted) with Dwarven arrows. Probably for both the look and feel.

• September 12, 2013 4:33 PM EDT

When it comes to archers for me, I am all about speed because I cannot stand the sneak/archery playstyle.  Therefore, I go archer/mage with the bound bow.  I also love the aesthetic of the "ghost bow" or "mystic bow" appearance of both the bound bow and drainspell bow. 

• 9 posts
    September 12, 2013 4:43 PM EDT
    A simple long bow for me
  • September 12, 2013 4:51 PM EDT

I tried sneak/archery once and I agree with you about it being the most boring playstyle.  I did play a version of Henson's Hashashin, but I found that I only used the sneak attack to open...as you also said. 

• September 12, 2013 4:55 PM EDT

Isn't that a tad limited?  I guess with smithing maxed out and the DPS it couldn't be all bad right?

• 1483 posts
    September 12, 2013 6:32 PM EDT

My favorite is the Long Bow with Steel Arrows for the looks. With a mod I have they look amazing together. In vanilla it is Long Bow with Glass or Ebony arrows. I never rely on a bow for damage output, it is always used as a distraction or a way to deliver poisons.

• 291 posts
    September 12, 2013 6:41 PM EDT

Long bow and nordic arrows.  It's a shame a lot of the better bows look like they're made of metal and, therefore, look silly and impractical.

• 80 posts
    September 12, 2013 7:23 PM EDT

1st - Bound Bow

2nd - Nightingale Bow w/ Ebony Arrows

3rd - DBBoF w/ Ebony Arrows

• 116 posts
    September 12, 2013 7:49 PM EDT
    I am an archer at heart, my first char in any TES game is an archer. That being said I too like the look of the weaker bows (except the long bow! wow) my favorite looking one is the imperial bow. I also enjoy the Nightingale bow as it doesn't look metallic it looks like a dark decorated wood bow, also it has a decent enchantment. Auriels bow is nice because of its speed and enchantment but I hate the look personally. The spirit bow is also a favorite of mine if I want to add magic in my play through. My all time favorite combo though is the Nightengale with ebony arrows.
    • 856 posts
    September 12, 2013 7:58 PM EDT

Bound Bow for me. And I too like only using the sneak shot as the opening attack (and I often continually pelt them with arrows as they charge (Fus Ro Dah), cast spells, and/or fire back).

• 89 posts
    September 12, 2013 7:59 PM EDT

I love the Bound Bow, the Daedric Bow finally looks as mystic as I think of it. My favorite physical bow is Forsworn, it does Dwarven type damage, only needs Steel Smithing, and looks great. I also like the Nightingale with Ebony combo for aesthetics.

• September 13, 2013 12:35 PM EDT

Damn, this thread has me itching to play a Bound Bow archer playthrough again.

• 249 posts
    September 13, 2013 3:42 PM EDT
    The Dwarven Black Bow of Fate is pretty cool but I prefer the Bow of the Hunt or Auriel's Bow.

Any arrows work for me but I usually go with Nordic or Steel. I love the purple fletching of Dwarven arrows but hate their tips.
    • 17 posts
    September 14, 2013 8:15 AM EDT

If I'm allowed to say Crossbow, then Crossbow it is. But not the Dwarven one, it's so unrealistic.

And for the more other bows I'd say Nordic Bow pure for the looks and Long Bow because it looks so basic and I could see myself use it IRL 

• 24 posts
    September 14, 2013 11:35 AM EDT

If I may chime in? My favorite bow/arrow combination is Auriel's Bow with Bloodcursed arrows. The effect it gives you when shooting at the sun, never ceases to amaze me. Blotting out the sun really adds the sort of griddyness that I enjoy. A second favorite of mine is Zephr. This bow is so fas, especially with the Quick Shot perk and the Ranger perk. You become a speedy Legolas type archer, that can send projectiles at the speed of light. As far as arrows with Zephr, I usually go with Daedric or Dragonbone arrows to deal the most damage.

• 27 posts
    September 14, 2013 12:28 PM EDT

Agreed, just wood and animal intestines that's where I'm going for.
    The imperial bow is also pretty cool and realistic. 

• 365 posts
    September 14, 2013 8:38 PM EDT

The levelled Nightingale Bow I use for my main char when it is high enough.....

• 55 posts
    September 15, 2013 1:20 AM EDT

The hunting bow is probably my favorite. I use the mod Simple Bows though, that retextures the elven and glass bows to look like the hunting bow with a color variation.

I wish they would add yew bows, because those actually look good. Instead what we get is something that looks like a hickory plank :P (the longbow)

• 622 posts
    September 15, 2013 3:43 AM EDT

Dragonscale with daedric arrows. It makes my dovahkiin look so much more badass. "Come and fight me dragon! So I can use your bones as another bow!" xD

Second favourite would be the forsworn and Daedric bows.

• 159 posts
    October 6, 2013 5:05 PM EDT

Is it ok to like a crossbow?

• 55 posts
    October 8, 2013 5:34 PM EDT

I kind of feel the need to clear up a misunderstanding when it comes to animal intestines and bow strings. What you are referring to is probably "cat-gut" or cattle-gut as bow strings. The thing is, those strings are for violin-bows, not archery. What have been used as bow-strings for archery is: Linen, Hemp, Silk, nettle, (animal) Tendons, rawhide, Tendons isnt very realistic in Skyrim since it dissolves in humidity. Nettle would probably be the most realistic in skyrim.  

• 1483 posts
    October 8, 2013 5:48 PM EDT

What about spiders? Can't their web be used? Or maybe get silk from them?

• 55 posts
    October 9, 2013 6:35 AM EDT

Not on a real bow. In skyrim, maybe from the biggest one. When you have to hack through their web it should be strong enough for a bow string

• 661 posts
    October 9, 2013 4:19 PM EDT

Imperial Bow man, nothing better than that unless it is Ebony or Dragonbone. That Bow looks badass.