Forums » Elder Scrolls

Curses in the Elder Scrolls Universe

• 152 posts
    September 10, 2013 1:17 AM EDT

Oh, so we all know that people curse others when in heated situations, and the Elder Scrolls is no exception. From n'wah to milk drinker, curses are complex and wide ranging. I assume some from our culture were carried over into the cultures of TES, but many are completely new, owing their origins to the new languages and cultures within the TES universe

So I want to compile all of these for writers or just the community in general.

To submit a curse, just put into the comments the curse, and what it means generally

I will try to keep up with this as much as possible, and will wipe the comments out when I update the list, so we don't end up with large amounts of pages!

Known Curses:definitions

N'wah: salve/foreigner

S'wit: slackwit

Milk Drinker: coward/weakling

To Oblivion with you!: damn you to hell (in our culture)

Jekosiit: Unknown translation (Khajiit, possible along lines of Sheep-shagger or whore)

Xuth: Unknown (Jel)

Kaoc: Unknown (Jel, maybe shit?)

• 708 posts
    September 10, 2013 1:50 AM EDT

N'wah means Slave I believe

• 140 posts
    September 10, 2013 1:49 PM EDT

Here are a few that I found in The Infernal City.

Lorkhan's bits (seems self-explanatory I think)

Xuth and Kaoc are either curse words or exclamations in Argonian.

• September 10, 2013 3:11 PM EDT
    Niluva Hlaalu uses it to describe/insult her father
    Haven't found a place with the exact dialogue line but she says "That N'wah of my father thinks..." Can't remember the rest, sorry.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Niluva_Hlaalu
    • 708 posts
    • 152 posts
    September 10, 2013 7:24 PM EDT

*squeals like little girl in joy*

• 291 posts
    September 10, 2013 8:23 PM EDT

Kaoc is my favorite.  I'm fairly certain it means the same thing as "shit", being a flexible expletive that is spit out more than said.  But I have no basis on this.  Just given the way it sounds and the way you could spit it out feels like it would be used in the same way.

• 557 posts
    September 10, 2013 8:35 PM EDT

When roleplaying, I try to use as much Jel as possible. I'm actually hoping to get a full language once ESO is released. If not, then it looks like I'll be creating it myself!

• 409 posts
    September 10, 2013 9:29 PM EDT
    Sumpslurry was the worst curse ever conceived.
    • 268 posts
    September 15, 2013 10:14 AM EDT
    I think Fetcher is a curse.